so upset... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little guy is nearly 9 months and he bites every single time we nurse. Hard. At the beginning. He latches then pulls and BITES. I am at the END of my rope. My breasts are sore and hot. I've tried saying no and putting him down when he does it. I've yelped, b/c... well, darn it, it HURTS. I've tried not reacting. I am so upset. This is my third child. My other two did bite, but they stopped when I said no and put them down. The was the end of it. My other two nursed till around 18 months. I want to make to a least a year with my little guy.

He is getting a molar. I am considering giving him some pain medication to see if it helps. I am just SOOOOO done with the biting. I don't want to wean him but, at this point I don't feel like I have many options. I have been offering the breast frequently, but now I am just so sore... I don't know if I can go on.

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 12:49 PM

I would go ahead with the pain meds for both of you!
I also wonder if your milk is decreasing? If he latches and pulls it could be to stimulate a let down? What do you think?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post
I would go ahead with the pain meds for both of you!
I also wonder if your milk is decreasing? If he latches and pulls it could be to stimulate a let down? What do you think?
I am sure my milk *is* decreasing because we nurse so infrequently now. I thought about him wanting to stimulate a let down. I am tense (as I am sure you can imagine), b/c now I just expect it. This is just so depressing. I really would like to nurse him.

Should I try to pump before I offer the breast? Maybe? Maybe I should rent a breast pump...
Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 PM

I wouldn't pump before you nurse but maybe in between session to keep your supply up.

How about hand expressing right before he latches on - then the milk is there and ready for him so he doesn't pull - and hopefully doesn't bite?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:04 PM

My daughter would bite me a lot at around 8 months old. My milk wasn't really decreasing to the point of not being enough but I wasn't engorged all the time anymore. When she would bite, I'd shove her face deep into my breast until she tried to pull away and then I'd let her pull off. We'd immediately reattach to nurse but it took care of our biting and tugging problem.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I tried the "suffocation" thing too. lol Pulling him into the breast. It totally didn't work he thought that was hysterical.

Well I gave him Tylenol and a small bag of frozen peas to maybe help his mouth. I let him chew and sit I pumped my milk and then offered the breast (to stimulate let down). he bit. I am so done. I am just so upset. I continued to pump my milk and pumped 100ml (about 3 oz) put it in our only bottle and he sucked it back, like it was nothing.

He eats 3 meals a day and he ate dinner as usual today. He's not so good at the sippy cup (water), but he does get some and he seems pretty adept at the bottle (for a kid that has never had one).

If he refuses to nurse do I really have to do formula? I really, really don't want to do formula. How much milk does a nine month old need if they eat very well (he does).

Ugh, I am just so depressed. I read all the links (on kellymomand tried the suggestions in the articles before I came to the forum to ask for your thoughts.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:42 PM

If you can't work out the nursing and can't pump enough you do need to do formula. I understand you are frustrated to the end right now. Have you tried meeting with an LC or getting feedback from your local LLL leaders?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Do you nurse him at night at all? When my babies went through the biting phase they were better at night when they were sleepy. You may want to try talking to him about it before you nurse him, too -- he may actually start understanding.

DD1 (Oct 99), DD2 (Sep 02), DD3 (Oct 09)
Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 PM

my son used to bite. I would immediately take him off of the boob put him down and walk away from him. (i have a bit of a temper so I felt this was our best solution). Now he only bites me when he's almost asleep, so it's a trick trying to figure out if I can take him off of the boob before he does his bite down thing which usually makes me jump and wakes him up and then he's crying and I'm upset cause he prolly doesn't know what he did wrong to make me jump and scream like that, not to mention everyone else is now awake in the room, but I digress....

I hope you do'nt give up completely! I hope everything works out for you! And if not, maybe you could just pump and give it to him in a bottle?

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2009, 02:39 AM

oh my, how i can relate... ds is almost one, but we began at 6 mos to have some chomping issues, and I too tried everything from pinching nose, flicking cheek, setting him down, etc.
What I found to be most helpful was to only nurse him when he was asleep (or I guess semi asleep) but I would put him in ergo and walk him outside to sleep, then would nurse him when I put him down, and he would be fine nursing through the night. And then if he really needed to be nursed during waking time, I would pump and give it to him in a tylenol medicine little cup, bc he doesn't do the bottle, (he would just chomp on the nipple and i didn't want him to have any more nipple biting practice). It seemed like he would bite when he was antsy or distracted. and i would also watch him closely w finger poised to break latch if i saw his style change. good luck, I have been in tears many times with bleeding nipples, but did neosporin, lansinoh and pumping to get through, and i was amazed at how the body does heal pretty fast.. although each moment of nursing in the meantime seems like an eternity of pain.

User Tag List