Weight gain on domperidone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-21-2009, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
aov

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced weight gain as a side effect of domperidone. I've been on it for about 6 weeks, and have had a good response (still having to supplement a little bit at night when my supply is low, but otherwise, I've gone from almost all-formula feeding to mostly BFing). However, I've gained 15 lbs! I think it's because I never feel full any more. It's getting to the point where as much as I love BFing, I'm thinking of stopping the domperidone, because I really can't gain any more weight (I have type 1 diabetes, and weight gain makes it even more difficult to control my blood sugar).
#2 of 8 Old 10-21-2009, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'm not sure about gaining weight ... but I didn't lose my baby weight. And even more depressing, I just went off the domperidone and haven't lost any either. Shoot.
I've heard lots of anecdotal comments about mamas gaining weight or not losing their baby weight while on the domperidone. I think it has to do with the increase in appetite and never feeling full, as you mentioned.
Good luck mama!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#3 of 8 Old 10-21-2009, 06:07 PM

Weight gain is not an umcommon side effect.

Perhaps useful hint: If you are able to breastfeed fully (rather than supplement) once between 1 and 5 am when your prolactin levels are the highest, you will probably get a good boost to your supply and take advantage of your natural prolactin as well as the dom induced levels.
#4 of 8 Old 10-22-2009, 03:20 PM

The thing is that the dom doesn't make you gain weight – it makes you hungry so you eat more and gain weight.
I've tried to stick to healthful snacks (apples, carrot sticks, non-fat yogurt, air-popped popcorn) and that's helped. I was getting lots of long walks with my babe in the sling, too, which helped even more.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#5 of 8 Old 10-23-2009, 11:03 AM

i find i'm really, really hungry when i'm on domperidone. very hungry. and when i'm so hungry and have two kids running around plus a newborn it's hard to prepare healthy snacks.

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

#6 of 8 Old 10-24-2009, 07:26 PM

Yep, count me in on the weight gain on domperidone train. In fact, I didn't start losing any weight at all until I totally weaned DD. It makes sense, because dom is originally for people with digestive problems.
#7 of 8 Old 10-24-2009, 11:34 PM

I heard dom causes rapid stomach emptying within about 10 minutes after you take it. It is advised for people with digestion issues who take it to take 10 minutes before meals. I try to take it at least an hour before my meals or an hour after so that I don't have quick stomach emptying. I take it 4 times/day at 10 am, 4 pm, 10 pm and 4 am (DD is almost always up then). I usually eat breakfast at 8, lunch at 12 or 1 and dinner at 7ish. I do have quite an apetite but I attributed it to breastfeeding. I still had a couple lbs of baby weight left to lose when I started it and I'm now 10 lbs below my pre pregnancy weight (!!)...so it hasn't impacted my weightloss at all...unless I would have lost even more weight if I hadn't taken it. I am vegetarian and close to vegan and eat pretty healthy foods but I have dessert (dark chocolate) every single night so it's not like I'm dieting or anything. I also get almost no exercise other than lifting a 16 lb baby all day. So it doesn't impact everyone...or maybe I just timed it right.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#8 of 8 Old 10-25-2009, 01:09 AM

Yes I am having weight issues due to it, but I figure, this is just for a short time. I am doing a good thing for my daughter by giving her mommy milk. I figure a year or two of being rather heavy is a sacrifice I am making for my child. I can lose weight when she is weaned.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page