BFing with Beta Blockers or Calcium Channel Blockers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-10-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night I had my first episode of SVT ever with a HR in the 170's. I was very symptomatic and went right to the ER (I work in ICU). My heart rate continues to be averaging 120's still, although I'm not symptomatic.

So I followed up with my regular doc today, he's great. Just had labs drawn for thyroid and other stuff to rule out infection ( i had a low grade temp today in his office) He asked me if I wanted to go on anything to slow the rate now, although they would interfere with BFing. He understands me wanting to wait to find out the cause and not wean but explained that in the end it may be necessary. I totally understand, and am just trying to learn as much as possible.

Any one else with tachycardia (or BP or whatever issues) that are on cardiac meds they can BF on??? Thanks in advance for your help

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#2 of 9 Old 12-10-2009, 04:53 PM

I don't know about breastfeeding. But my cardiologist and I talked about beta blockers when I was pregnant with DD1, and she seemed to believe it would be entirely safe for me to take them during pregnancy. So it seems to me like they're probably fine.

Somebody on here with a copy of Hale's should be able to look it up for you, if you get the names of the drugs you're considering.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 9 Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzie2 View Post
Last night I had my first episode of SVT ever with a HR in the 170's. I was very symptomatic and went right to the ER (I work in ICU). My heart rate continues to be averaging 120's still, although I'm not symptomatic.

So I followed up with my regular doc today, he's great. Just had labs drawn for thyroid and other stuff to rule out infection ( i had a low grade temp today in his office) He asked me if I wanted to go on anything to slow the rate now, although they would interfere with BFing. He understands me wanting to wait to find out the cause and not wean but explained that in the end it may be necessary. I totally understand, and am just trying to learn as much as possible.

Any one else with tachycardia (or BP or whatever issues) that are on cardiac meds they can BF on??? Thanks in advance for your help
I have Hale's. What's the med?

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#4 of 9 Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM

There are moms over at FF on beta blockers...and so far the ones they've been on are all safe for breastfeeding

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#5 of 9 Old 12-12-2009, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Heather: No particular med yet, just trying to learn some before I have to make a decision. By FF do you mean Fertility Friend or something else??

If you (or anyone) can tell me the med names, then I can bring them up to my doc when we discuss. My drug book (although not Hales) is at work, and I intend to do my homework.

Thanks for the info mamas, it's giving me a glimmer of hope. I'm not ready, but John is sooo not ready to be done!

#6 of 9 Old 12-12-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzie2 View Post
Heather: No particular med yet, just trying to learn some before I have to make a decision. By FF do you mean Fertility Friend or something else??

If you (or anyone) can tell me the med names, then I can bring them up to my doc when we discuss. My drug book (although not Hales) is at work, and I intend to do my homework.

Thanks for the info mamas, it's giving me a glimmer of hope. I'm not ready, but John is sooo not ready to be done!
Yes Fertility Friend, in the high risk pregnancy board. Some of the mama's have listed the ones they are on, so it's a good place to start. One mama even lists what her neonatologist recommended.

#7 of 9 Old 12-15-2009, 03:54 PM

I've been on beta blockers while breastfeeding and my understanding was that they were safe. No issues with two of my kids that I nursed while taking them.
#8 of 9 Old 12-16-2009, 11:45 AM

dr hale's online:

http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-bin/d...s&access=guest

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#9 of 9 Old 12-22-2009, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your responses! I'll go for an echocardiogram on Weds. and see how that goes. Otherwise, my HR has stayed in a normal range (and I hope it continues to do so!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page