Mastitis question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-10-2009, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a very sudden, absolutely RAGING case of mastitis yesterday. Seriously, it was three hours between "huh, my boob feels a bit sore" and "OMG the world is spinning and I can't keep food down and although I'm wearing 5 layers of clothing and clutching a hot water bottle I will never be warm again." I went to the doctor, and they gave me an antibiotic shot and a prescription for antibiotics and told me to come back today.

I went back today, and the doctor (or it might have been a NP, I'm not sure... not that it really matters) was concerned because even though my fever is down and I'm much perkier, my breast is still sore and red and swollen. Actually, it's even redder than it was yesterday. (It is, however, no longer rock hard: I THINK I managed to unclog whatever was clogged). So they gave me another antibiotic shot and told me that if my fever goes back up in the next few days, to go to the ER. She said that she was particularly concerned because of how quickly the infection came on yesterday. I know that mastitis can come on quickly, but I was really, really in bad shape... she said that as soon as she saw me yesterday she thought about just sending me straight to the ER... and I was that way literally three hours after first feeling like maybe my breast was feeling a tad bit bruised or something.

So even though I feel much better than I did yesterday, I'm just wondering how long mastitis symptoms linger, and what's a normal post-mastitis symptom v. a mastitis symptom that's not going away but should.

For example, right now my breast is still a little tender, and does feel a bit bruised when I touch it. But, of course, I've been aggressively massaging it to make sure I'm getting the milk out, so I don't know if that's making it more tender. I still feel a bit shakey, but I'm also on some Excedrin Migraine for the headache I've had since yesterday so I don't know if that's just the caffeine. And then there's the headache, which is also not a great sign. My temperature is hovering at about 100: highish, but not really what I would classify as a fever.

At what point is it still kind of worrying if any of these things are still true? Like, if my breast is still red and tender tomorrow, but my headache and very slight fever are gone, should I still be concerned? If my breast is back to normal but still have the headache? How long do these things linger post-mastitis?

Another issue is that my son is 9 months, and he is down to nursing only about 4 times a day. He's never been a huge nurser, and has always been a very efficient nurser. When he was a newborn I was very freaked out because he'd have 5 minute nursing sessions and refuse anything else... unlike my daughter who would have been happy if I had just superglued her mouth around my nipple. She'd go for 40 minutes every hour... he'd go 5 minutes every 4 hours. But he gained weight like you wouldn't believe: he was 20lbs at 4 months. But all this is just to say that I know frequent nursing is the best way to unclog your ducts and ensure that they're unclogged... but my son isn't having any of it. He's happy to nurse when he wants to, but usually he has absolutely no interest. How big a deal is it that he only nurses a few times a day? And he (almost always) sleeps through the night, so I probably won't be nursing him again until he wakes up at about 6:30-7. Should I maybe try to pump a little before I go to bed, just to keep the milk flowing?

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-10-2009, 11:12 PM

I'd pump or hand express to try to get that clog/pus drained asap. If baby isn't nursing then pumping is the next best thing. You can deal with the likely (unwanted) increase to your supply after you're healed... You don't want an abcess! Are you taking the oral antibiotics? If things don't improve you may want to head back to the doc and see if you are on the best presciption - it may not be strong enough.

Hope you feel better soon!
#3 of 3 Old 12-10-2009, 11:18 PM

I agree w/the PP. Ive had mastitis a lot! My symptoms always went away after maybe 2 day on antibiotics but my breast was tender for about another week. You should be feeling better tomarrow & have no fever or id b seen again. Hang in there it sucks.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page