Underdeveloped and determined to nurse - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-13-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Little history...DS was born August 2007. Born by C-section. Wonderful latch. Nursed non stop in hospital. Lost 15% of body weight while in hospital. Was told I am starving my baby and NEED to give him a bottle. Ped came in and told me C-section babies lose more weight because they don't get sqeezed during birth and nurses talk too much! GO HOME. Pump after every feeding. Feed him on demand. Taking Goat's Rue and Reglan. Still never made enough to nurse him exclusively although weighing him after nursing showed that I was missing about an ounce of the minium of what he needed. A lot of guilt over weaning him but I had post partum psychosis and my sanity out weighed the nursing.

Soooo....

I have been bitten by the baby bug and I want things to be different. I want to nurse even if I have to supplement. Is there anything I can start doing now to prepare my breasts for success. SO few know whats what with my breasts. I knew from early on that there was something off about them, but no doctor has ever said anything about them upon seeing them {normal well checkup}. And SURPRISE baby is born and I am told I have hypoplastic breasts and can't nurse so here is a bottle. So if anyone has any suggestions I would be thrilled.

Combination HELP ME and vent. Thanx so much for reading. Bye Bye.

Catherine

Catherine & Baby Vee
Mama to Vinayak {8/2007} & Married to Sridhar {11/2001}
#2 of 6 Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is a good web page on hypoplasia and breastfeeding.
#3 of 6 Old 01-13-2010, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
i'm so sorry for your trouble! next time around, if at all possible, try using a supplementer. it will allow you to continue feeding baby at the breast, even if some of the milk isnt coming from you. best wishes for round two!!!

Bring back the old MDC
#4 of 6 Old 01-13-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
i'm so sorry for your trouble! next time around, if at all possible, try using a supplementer. it will allow you to continue feeding baby at the breast, even if some of the milk isnt coming from you. best wishes for round two!!!

If at the breast supplementing works for you then you can feed all meals at the breast! Also please know that many low supply moms have more milk the 2nd time. It may not be enough to avoid supplementing, but it is often more than with the 1st baby.

Good luck!
#5 of 6 Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 PM

I was "diagnosed" with underdevolped breasts while trying to nurse my first son... that was after his week check up and he had lost 10% of his body weight... and after trying goats rue, mothers milk tea, barley, regling... and this funny bottle device you wear around your neck filled with formula and tiny soft tubes that you tape to your nipples and then nurse so your baby is stimulating your milk supply and baby is getting fed. After all of that didnt work 6 weeks into it. The lactation consultant said I had underdevopled breasts and next pregnancy I could try taking progesterone and that could build breast tissue so I can nurse. So... I am 3 days into taking progesterone and I am praying and hoping it works for me this time around... I felt like such a failure feeding my LO formula.

#6 of 6 Old 02-16-2012, 02:13 PM

check out this thread

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1252021/igt-and-second-time-mamas

There are some other mama's on this board who have nursed more than 1 baby after being diagnosed with hypoplasia/IGT (same thing).

I have IGT and tried to nurse all 3 of my babies.  This most recent has been the most successful still not a full supply, but 10 weeks old and still nursing. and I am back at work.

Here is what has worked for me.

- took progesterone during pregnany

- nursed frequently after birth, almost hourly the first 2-3 days

- supplemented at the first sign baby wasn't getting enough (decreased wet diapers, stools)

- had LAct-aid supplementer for supplementing  at breast ready to go before baby was born.

- did test feeding weights at 5 days old and 2 weeks old to determine amount to supplement

- I pumped after feeds when I had a chance - (pumping can help a lot, but with 2 other kids wasn't practical for me)

RavenDB likes this.

Mama of 3 little boys - DS1 4/08, DS2 4/09, DS3 12/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page