Taking dpd for low supply; when to stop? Solids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-01-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I'm about to place what I assume will be my last order for dpd while Emily is a baby. I was planning on getting enough to get me through her 1 year birthday. (She's 8.5 months.) Do most of you continue taking it after that, or is that about when you stop? How bad would it be if I stopped just shy of 1 year? I'm not opposed to using galactagogues after that, but I'd rather not take dpd much longer than that (weight issues). I'm already taking shatavari in addition to the dpd, but I can start fenugreek or something when I wean off the dpd.

Part of my confusion stems from not knowing how much food to give Emily at this point or as she grows. For about 3 months I've been giving her about 8 oz. of goat milk or formula a day plus a little bit of food once or twice a day. That is in addition to breastfeeding on demand, usually about every 2 hours. Any suggestion on how much I should be feeding her now or in the future? Do babies over one year nurse still for many of their daily calories, or does it turn into mostly comfort nursing? Any input would be great.

I sometimes feel like every time I give her food, it's taking the place of breast milk, but I know that all moms eventually give their babies food. I know it differs with everyone, but what's an average of when and how much food to give?

Thanks!
Jessica
#2 of 10 Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 PM

Hi Jessica,
I just stopped taking the dom and DS is 18 months. After a year, I gradually weaned down from 90 mg to 30 mg without any dip in supply that I noticed. But since I dropped to nothing so I could get my fertility back to TTC my supply has plummeted Dr. Jack Newman suggests dropping a pill a week until you reach the lowest effective dose. I certainly found that was less than I was taking but you may or may not be able to wean off entirely while maintaining supply.
On the solids front, I had the same worry that DS would nurse less so I think it's really important to always nurse first. I did mostly self-feeding (Google baby led weaning) and liked it. He didn't really get into solids until he got a pincer grip and could entirely feed himself. Kellymom.com has some great info about solids and nursing, too.
Sounds like you're doing great, mama

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 10 Old 02-02-2010, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi Jessica ... I was on the max dose of 160 mgs of dom for nearly nine months. I would've stayed on it, but my doc discovered a breast lump and ordered me off of it while it was investigated (benign, thankfully!). My supply didn't change much at all. I now wonder if the dom got the supply established, and then after that, didn't have a lot to do with shoring it up.

DD gets about 10 ounces of supplement a day (even now ... whole milk). She eats tonnes of solids. She started with with avocado and yam when she developed her pincer grip and displayed other signs of being ready for solids, which was at about 6 months or so. We have always offered her food when we eat, so three times a day. She eats at the table with us, in a chair that pulls right up to the table (which I think helps her feel included in the meal.) She has always eaten what we eat, and now eats absolutely everything you can think of.

The very sad news I have for you is that going off of it did nothing to help me lose weight.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#4 of 10 Old 02-03-2010, 03:08 AM

DD just turned 1 and I have started weaning off 1 pill/week. I plan to add 1 capsule of shatavari every 4 pills dropped. My milk supply has already decreased after dropping only 2 pills so I am not too opptimistic. I might not be able to wean off completely right away bc DD is very dependant on nursing and won't take a bottle or sippy for more than a sip here or there. I do still supplement using donor milk in a lactaid though so I suppose it doesn't matter if I have any supply left of my own. I think she would nurse if there was nothing there anyway bc she loves it so much. I just need to make sure she gets enough fluids.

DD eats 3 meals/day but she is picky. Sometimes she eats a hearty portion, sometimes she won't eat anything. But I always try to offer 3x/day. I once upon a time supped almost 15 ounces/day. Now she takes 5-8 ounces/day of sup.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#5 of 10 Old 02-03-2010, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jessica, Sorry I don't have any info on dpd. I was actually considering starting it. Do any of you ladies have any info to share with me for how it worked for you? Does it cause weight gain? Seemed like some of you wrote about that? Any other side effects? Was it effective in helping your milk supply? What is shatavari? Thanks! Rebecca
#6 of 10 Old 02-03-2010, 01:15 PM

DPD definitely helped me but I still had to supplement 10-15 ounces/day until recently. I'd say I went from pumping an ounce to two ounces and later 3 ounces once I added in other galactagogues (goats rue and high dose of fenugreek). The only side effect I notice is lack of a a sex drive. I did not gain weight on it but it is fairly common to do so since it causes rapid stomach emptying so you feel hungry again. I tried to always take the dom at least an hour before eating. I take it 4x/day at 4am, 10am, 4pm and 10pm. Even at a yr old, DD is still waking around 3-4am so I take it then. Even if she doesn't wake I usually do now. LOL. Shatavari is an herb taken in India that works similarly to DPD. You can take 4 pills/day. Some people take it with the max dose of dpd but it has been reccomended not to since they work in similar manners. So I am adding 1 pill in for every 4 of dpd I drop and will be on 4 shat when I am done with dpd. I doubt it will be as effective as 160 mg of dpd but I am hoping it will offset the drop in supply from going off the dpd.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#7 of 10 Old 02-03-2010, 02:13 PM

wow, thank you! So, it's okay to continue with other herbal supplements in combination with the dpd? DS just went through this crazy phase of refusing me, and suddenly he's nursing great but my milk supply is back where it was at 13 weeks (he's 5.5 months), and even then it was low because it had been 7 weeks of him refusing to nurse for more than 5-7 minutes. If I could ever get to the point of nursing him exclusively I'd jump for joy. Right now I'm just hoping to provide him more from me. We're a bit less than half right now. 3/4 of his diet too much to hope for?
#8 of 10 Old 02-03-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

I take 4 shatavari with 16 dpd per day. I have taken fenugreek, blesssed thistle, and other herbs with dpd also.

Jessica
#9 of 10 Old 02-04-2010, 06:11 PM

any suggestions for where to buy it? My lactation consultant is suggesting a place and it is overseas. It could take up to 21 days to get it. Obviously I want high quality and trustworthy...
#10 of 10 Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 PM

inhousepharmacy.com. They are in Canada. It usually takes about 10 days for me to get it but my first order did take a few weeks bc it got stopped at customs. You midwife can write you a scrip for a compounding pharmacy to make it in a couple days but that is super duper expensive so I'd just wait.

Cindy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page