Very Very Large Breasts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-16-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend just had a baby and is trying to breastfeed. Her breasts are HUGE, so large that she cannot see the baby when the baby nurses! I have no idea what recommendations to make to help her. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
#2 of 17 Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 PM

I've always had F-H cup breasts while nursing, and what I've found is that using the cross cradle hold really helps me be able to see what I'm doing when I'm nursing. I use one hand to support/aim the breast and another (plus my forearm on that hand) to position the baby.
#3 of 17 Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 PM

Ditto, I have very large breasts while nursing and I always used cross cradle. I found it easier to sit indian style and place a pillow on my lap. I would use my knee to prop the pillow under the babies head and use my hands to get the baby latched.

HTH

Ashlee - wifey to Josh , mama to Gavin 9/2007 , and expecting a baby GIRL 7/20/10.
#4 of 17 Old 02-18-2010, 03:14 AM

I have H cups and nursed all 7 just fine, mostly cross cradle or lying down...With pillows and positioning help I even managed to tandem nurse twins. I always envied moms that didn't have to constantly hold excess boob out of the way to nurse, but grateful I was able to nurse just the same.

wife to my BFF since '96, happy but tired unschooling momma to DS (12), DD's (10,8,6 & 4) and Twin DS's (12-07)
#5 of 17 Old 02-18-2010, 01:15 PM

i'm currently an L cup and being so large i feel *is* a problem this time around, but more because ds was preemie and has other issues anyways. it wasn't a problem at all w dd, and was a small prob with ds1, til i figured things out.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#6 of 17 Old 02-18-2010, 01:25 PM

I was a J when my milk came in. I found that leaning back with my lower back well supported and baby in football hold allowed me to see the baby/latch if i used my opposite-side-to-suckled-breast hand to support the boob. I would also stick the boppy under my breast and support the top half of the baby on my hand or another pillow. Other things i found helpful - if re-latching when feeding (as i had to do 40 times a feed in the early days with my giant guns and flat nipples and tiny DD who would slide about all over the place unless the latch was deep and strong!):
- dry the nipple before every re-latch attempt with a muslin cloth or similar (gently!) a wet nipple is harder to grip than a dry one
- when getting nursing bras choose the sports-top styles so that when one cup is dropped the other cup being fastened up means there is some soft fabric under the breast still to help you support it
- experiment. Try different positions, techniques and bras until you find something that works, a lot of it is trial and error and in general if YOU are comfortable and the baby is swallowing a lot and seems relatively satisfied (which for a newborn means they can go an hour or so before wanting more) and the latch isn't painful then you're fine
- take all advice given by MW's etc. with a pinch of salt unless they have large breasts AND have successfully BFed - the number of things i was told which were USELESS for big-boob mama's was unreal. If i'd followed the "rules" i would have had shredded nipples by day 3 and no supply by day 14.
- i also made a soft "sling" out of t-shirt fabric, just a long strip about 7 or 8 inches wide which i put under my breast and then put both ends over my shoulder and leaned back on them to keep it in place, to help support my breast while i fed. It was only useful for the first few weeks, and not at all for when i was out and about, but it DID make a difference at times.
#7 of 17 Old 02-18-2010, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another big busted mama here, with a teeny kid. The breast friend saved me! Also, hold the babies body close to you so their face is at a slant, and hopefully they can breathe.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#8 of 17 Old 02-18-2010, 04:59 PM

I'm not as large as some of the ladies here that have already posted, but the biggest thing with me was I was never able to nurse and accomplish anything else like some moms, because I had to hold my breast with one hand and support babe with the other. Never had supply issues though! (I know, nothing to do with size, but I like to laugh about it)

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#9 of 17 Old 02-20-2010, 04:56 PM

Has anyone tried the Utterly Yours breast pillow?

http://www.mybreastpump.com/utterlyy...illowpage.html

I'm going to try it this time and see if it helps. I have to use a Lact-Aid and between that and having to hold my boob while I nurse, I could never manage nursing in public. I'm hoping this will help at least a little.

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
#10 of 17 Old 02-23-2010, 02:31 PM

I agree w/ PP - the cross cradle worked really well for me/us. I also sit indian style with a pillow - when at home or somewhere else comfy. when NIP, now that DS is 3 months old and well established, we just do the regular cradle.

The boppy just didn't fit me well. The football hold didn't suit DS or me very much, I just never figured out where to put his legs! they seemed to squish against the back of the chair . . . Reclining also helps alot, I noticed, especially if you can get your feet up at the same time. At first I did seem to have to adjust my breast a bit to allow DS to breathe, but he seems to manage just fine now.

oh - and while not as big as some of the ladies here, I'm like a G. I think. (I was in the last month of pregnancy . . .I wear the Bravado double plus basic design, so it is sort of a range of sizes) It is a challenge dealing with large breasts when BF'ing but well worth it. As I told my mom, who is maybe a B-cup, it would be a shame if God gave me these huge hooters and I wasn't able to use them for the purpose he intended! no problems, ever, with supply here either! go figure

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#11 of 17 Old 02-23-2010, 02:55 PM

I actually had huge supply problems due to a thyroid illness, which some people laughed at the idea of because my breasts were so large. Yeah, they're huge, so's my thyroid gland!
#12 of 17 Old 02-23-2010, 06:45 PM

CROSS CRADLE HOLD!!!!

I have DD(E) normally, that went to DDD(F) while nursing.

I loved my Medela foot stool. It stayed in one place and put my knees at the right angle to let ds lay on my lap (with just a standard pillow under ds) while he nursed. I could hold my breast with the hand closest to it (keep it off his face) and once he latched, I had a free hand to scratch my nose, get a drink or just stroke his face and hands.
#13 of 17 Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 AM

Just wanted to thank you ladies for the advise here...I too have a friend who is dealing with these very same issues and still hasn't managed to make it work out on day 7. Engorgement did her in...

On the positive side though, we are going to see a breastfeeding counsellor together in a day or so and I really really really hope it helps.

FWIW, I think that if one is determined to nurse and have no other contributing medical/supply/separation challenges, your strength to persevere emerges from a "come he** or high water" attitude. My breasts are also very large and I am post-op and my success eventually came about from winning the mental war with those little negative voices in my head who were always telling me I couldn't do it. I feel the same as one PP - what a shame to have such huge breasts if I can't make 'em milk!

Good luck!

Lisa - Mama to DD (12/07) and now a DS (3/11)! A wonderful uc.jpg!
#14 of 17 Old 02-26-2010, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much! I've passed this info on and hoping she won't give up!
#15 of 17 Old 02-27-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColwynsMommy View Post
Has anyone tried the Utterly Yours breast pillow?

http://www.mybreastpump.com/utterlyy...illowpage.html

I'm going to try it this time and see if it helps. I have to use a Lact-Aid and between that and having to hold my boob while I nurse, I could never manage nursing in public. I'm hoping this will help at least a little.
That looks awesome and not expensive! I think I'm going to get it, thanks for posting it!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#16 of 17 Old 02-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post
I'm not as large as some of the ladies here that have already posted, but the biggest thing with me was I was never able to nurse and accomplish anything else like some moms, because I had to hold my breast with one hand and support babe with the other. Never had supply issues though! (I know, nothing to do with size, but I like to laugh about it)
I envy the women who can nurse 1 handed. I literally would have suffocated DD if I tried that. I have spent my entire nursing career holding my very large but not giant boobs off her nose while she eats...
I really go get jealous of the small breasted set when they whip out a boob and nurse their LO without an issue
#17 of 17 Old 02-27-2010, 07:34 PM

It's nice to come across this thread.

I'm always envious of mamas who can nurse no-handed in a sling, too.

I even feel right now like they're getting in the way of me slinging him period. I never managed to sling my first as a small infant, and I'm having trouble with this one, too.

My [especially when engorged] breasts were bigger than my son's newborn heads...I always imagine them as adults on a psychiatrist's couch talking about giant breasts. ;p

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page