Cons of snipping tongue tie? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-17-2010, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, my babe is 4 days old and today at the ped's office she suggested that I consider having my daughters tongue snipped as it was slightly limited and I have some painful latch issues.

I just got out of a four day stay at the hospital because of postpartum complications where I was able to meet with the hospital lactation consultants every day (so helpful!). Babe has a really painful latch, as she doesn't draw the nipple far enough back into her mouth. The LC set me up with a nipple shield which has solved the pain problem for me and hasn't caused any issues with my supply. Truth is I don't want to be tied to the nipple shield forever, it's a pain in the ass to use.

My ped made the surgery sound like no big deal but I wanted to get the weigh in about what I should be considering about making this choice. Any pro, cons? WWYD? Thanks!

Organic eating, cloth diapering, no vaxing, cosleeping, breastfeeding mean machine.
#2 of 11 Old 02-17-2010, 04:57 AM

My babe went with tounge tie undiscovered for 8 weeks. I was in so much pain. Cutting the tie saved our nursing realtionship. He hated the shield and started to have transfer issues.

I am pregnant again and if this babe has even a hint of a tie I will get it cut immediately.

It took literally seconds for the ENT to do the clip and we saw an improvement immediately and were off the shield 3 days later. He is 2 and still nurses.

I really didn't see any cons to having it cut. ENT also said he looked so tight that if we didn't clip as an infant and he developed speech problems later, it would be a lot more complicated.

Hope you come to the best decision.
#3 of 11 Old 02-17-2010, 09:01 AM

Clipping my son's TT didn't totally solve our BF problems but I thought it was worth a shot and I don't regret doing it. It was really no big deal. He cried less than he did for diaper changes as a newborn and was nursing 30 seconds later.
The ped said that even if clipping didn't help his nursing, it could prevent speech and dental problems later.
I would do it - I've read that the shield could really affect your supply. Has anyone suggested pumping after feeds?

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#4 of 11 Old 02-17-2010, 04:01 PM

I have had it done for the 5 out of 7 children. Two of them didn't have issues. You will never be rid of the nipple shield if you don't have it done. It takes two seconds to clip and mine always cried worse getting their clothes changed. There usually is little or no blood either.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#5 of 11 Old 02-17-2010, 04:10 PM

We had our son's TT clipped at three weeks, because I was in a lot of pain. It took a few more weeks for my pain to decrease, because he had to relearn how to nurse using his "new" tongue. Also, I think it just took a while for my nipples to heal due to the damage caused by his poor latch/suck before the procedure.

I was nervous and really drilled my ped for info, and she couldn't give me any reason not to get it done. Like the PPs said, there's a decent chance that a true TT can cause speech problems later on, and a frenectomy in an older child is much more complicated and will probably require general anethesia. My son's TT was obvious, the very tip of his tongue was connected to the floor of his mouth, making his tongue heart-shaped when he cried. Now, it looks totally normal, and you'd never know there used to be a frenulum there. The mouth heals so quickly.

IMO, it's definitely worth getting it done, and if it is causing you latch pain, the sooner the better. It hardly seemed to bother our baby at all - he cried when the doctor held his head, but the actual snip didn't seem to cause him any pain. He nursed immediately afterward and we were sent on our way.

Good luck!
#6 of 11 Old 02-18-2010, 12:19 PM

i don't regret having it done, as it was super simple. but i do wonder if some of his gassiness issues came from swallowing lots of air b/c he sucked so vigorously, even after it was done. i don't think it is necessary, as most of them resolve on their own, but some don't and it isn't risky, so i thought, why not? i was painful for about 5 weeks, but it was worth it, breastfeeding is one of the most wonderful experiences of my life!
#7 of 11 Old 02-27-2010, 10:48 PM

In case you're curious to see the procedure done, there's a video of it on http://www.drjacknewman.com/ under Video Clips, look for Tongue Tie Release. I felt I had a better understanding of the procedure after viewing this. HTH!
#8 of 11 Old 03-01-2010, 01:34 AM

I, too, owe my nursing relationship to clipping my daughter's tongue tie, no doubt about it. So worth it.
#9 of 11 Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 AM

I haven't heard any downsides to it. I did not do it. I really felt against it and it was *literally* a last minute thing that we got the magic latch right before walking out the door to the appointment. She had a really tight tie and either it stretched, she grew, we figured it out...I don't know. But we are going on almost 16 months now without an issue.

If you are at 4 days and already in pain, I would definitely consider it.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#10 of 11 Old 03-02-2010, 10:40 PM

We had DS2's clipped at about 2 weeks old. it was super quick and easy and he didn't cry for very long. DH's mom didn't have his clipped and he'll get a sore, tired tongue if he talks a lot. He is actually going to have it done in a few weeks.
#11 of 11 Old 03-02-2010, 10:58 PM

Any news, Mama?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page