Breastfeeding overweight baby - Mothering Forums

#1 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 9-month-old baby girl is in the 95th percentile in weight, so her pediatrician has advised her stay-at-home dad to NOT feed her expressed milk during the day (while I'm at work), saying that she should get breastmilk only when I'm home (evening, night, and morning). She has three meals a day of solid food. She sleeps through most of the night, waking around 4am to nurse, and then nursing again before I leave for work.

Cutting out the breastmilk during the day doesn't sound right to me. How am I supposed to keep up my milk supply--pump during the day, as I've been doing, and dump it? I'm planning on breastfeeding beyond one year.

Could it be that because she feeds from a bottle during the day, she overindulges?

I should also add that she's not quite crawling yet; I've been told that once she starts crawling and walking, she'll shed weight.

Have any other working moms had weight issues with their breastfed baby?

Mother of Mosole 5/23/2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 04:30 PM

My son was off the charts his whole first year. He slimmed down around 18 months to 2 years and now he's 75% height, 25% weight at age 5. Nice and slim. He nursed for 3 1/2 years.

Breastfed babies are not likely to over eat, and even if they do, at least it's GOOD food. Fat breastfed babies usually don't stay fat. Breastmilk should be her primary source of nutrition for the whole first year, so no I wouldn't restrict it during the day. If you were struggling to keep up with her needs I might suggest supplementing with more solids, offering water, or maybe even a non-dairy milk, but I wouldn't dump the precious milk for those things!

I'm sure she's very healthy. I think as a society we are so obsessed with the obesity epidemic that people forget that normal infant feeding can produce fat babies, but not necessarily fat children.

ETA: My DS crawled at 6 months and walked at 8, and still didn't slim down until later. He did start slowing down with the weight gain, but he was still a big chunk until 18 months. So if she doesn't immediately slim down, don't panic. It takes time.

ETA again: Here's some pics: 4 months 7 1/2 months 11 months 18 months 2 1/2 years 5 years
#3 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 PM

what that dr said is imo cowspoo.
With y ds1 from the moment he was born till he was 6 wks I was told I would not be able to bf him because he was huge (8pounds 7) at my 6 wk wbv the HV told me he was obese and I needed to cut down feeding him. he was on the 90-95centile then and was till he was 2 or so. fwiw he cruised at 7 months walked properly at 9months.
i say listen to your mummy gut and keep doing what you are doing now

photoblogging crafty Mama to 3 boys (8/04 and twins 08/07)

#4 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I've been suspecting that some of the concern about weight is unnecessary at this stage. Thank you both! You've reinforced my gut feeling, and given me solid evidence to support it.

#5 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
He wants to put a 9 mo on a diet?! Thats crazy....someone has to be in the 95th percentile, right? I'd personally throw that advice out and think about a new ped, but that's just me.
#6 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My buddha-baby was in the 98% percentile for weight and height for a time...I think she was 21lbs at 6 months. Totally chubby and very cute. Completely breastfed until she was 10 months, and then started to be slightly interested in food. DD is now 19 months, 26 lbs, so in the 75% percentile for weight but off the charts for height.

IMO your doctor's concerns are ....um...silly and your DD does NOT have weight issues

As a working mom, I pumped until DD was 14-15 months (so 5 months total), after which a) I couldn't get anything out of the pump anymore, and b) DD was eating solids at daycare consistently. Trust your instincts, your DD will be fine.
#7 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
I just want to second the others that I don't think you're having weight issues with your breastfed baby, I think you're having sanity issues with your pediatrician.

She is likely to slim down a bit as she gets more mobile, as all babies do, but she may stay 95th percentile, and y'know? That's fine. I would be worried that a nine month-old might not be getting enough fat and protein from the solids that are generally recommended for that age group (read the labels on baby foods - they're empty vitamins), and I'd want to make sure either that breast milk or formula remained a core part of her diet for a bit longer (that, or be really aggressive with feeding fatty foods, like whole-milk yogurt and avocado, but frankly, breast milk is easier as she's already used to it).
#8 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 06:16 PM

I would be very wary of a ped who suggested putting my 9 mo. old on a "diet," particularly one that cut-out the most nutrient-dense source of food my LO consumes (breastmilk!). Here is a good article on infant weight-gain from kellymom.com.

Question: does your DH usually feed your DD solids first or BM first? He might try feeding BM first, then solids. That way your DD is getting the most nutritious food first and the "filler" second. It is possible that she is "comfort nursing" from the bottle and getting more calories than she really wants, on top of the solids. Giving the BM first might help eliminate this problem. Does you DD drink any juice? This is an area where my toddler will over-indulge if I let her, because juice just tastes so darn good! We seriously limit juice in our house (even 100% juice) because I feel like it's basically empty calories and sugar.

But, like pps have said, someone has to be in the 95th percentile and it's your DD! It is highly, highly unusual for the BF baby to be overweight.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#9 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 06:24 PM

I agree with the PPs that your ped's advice sounds ridiculous.

That said, is it possible your DH is overfeeding her from the bottle? How many ounces of EBM is she taking while you are at work? The average breastfed baby takes between 19-30 oz. per day, with 25 oz. being the average; so about an ounce an hour.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#10 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 06:26 PM

My 2 1/2 month old DD just had a doctor's appt and she's in the 90% for weight (50% for height). Her pediatrician said that she doesn't worry about weight one bit with breastfed babies and that she fully expects DD to even out as she becomes mobile.

Happy mama to DD reading.gif  DS  drum.gif and DD coolshine.gif and married to an awesome DH jammin.gif.  homeschool.gif
#11 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 06:53 PM

Every child had his/her own growth curve. DS1 was at 95% for weight at 6 months and only about the 5% by 18 months and from age 3 to 8 has been at or near 50% for height and weight. I suspect he will be a very average sized adult. Anyway you sound more relax about it and it sounds like your instincts are right on.
#12 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 07:51 PM

That is the most insane recommendation. Please do not listen to that doctor....

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#13 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum21andtwins View Post
what that dr said is imo cowspoo.

I have an 8-month old and she is at home all day with DH. She drinks maybe 12 ounces during the day, eats some solids throughout the day, and nurses all night. She is in the 98th percentile weight and about 50th height. Your baby is not overweight--your baby is just well-fed! Both my other two were equally as large, and now at ages 10 and 12, they are quite slim, as are my husband and me. Fat baby does not equal fat child or fat adult. Keep doing what you are doing and making a happy baby!
#14 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 08:16 PM

So your doctor thinks 1in20 nine months old are overweight? That is completely illogical, you never determine being overweight by what centile you are in, if you did, the percentage of people overweight would remain constant. With a nine month old, all that's going to happen is that by not offering a bottle in the daytime, she'll probably end up eating at night instead and if she doesn't, she'll likely end up lacking on nutrients that aren't found in the types of solid food she is eating at the moment.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
#15 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
That said, is it possible your DH is overfeeding her from the bottle? How many ounces of EBM is she taking while you are at work? The average breastfed baby takes between 19-30 oz. per day, with 25 oz. being the average; so about an ounce an hour.
I agree with Bokonon on both fronts. Your DH could be overfeeding. Your doctor is most definitely insane.
Kids on the whole range of the growth chart are healthy.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#16 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 PM

That is INSANE. My EBF until 11mo baby was 27 lbs at 9mo. She hit 33 lbs at 12mo and 37lbs at 18mo. She was literally WAY off the charts for weight (like about an inch over the 97th percentile line). She walked at 10mo and crawled at 6mo and is SUPER active, fwiw.

Enjoy your chubby baby! My ped tried to tell me that DD was eating too many carbs at her 9mo appt - I told her she wasn't eating ANY at that point, and I sure wished she *would* eat! Someone has to be at the top and the bottom of the growth curve, we both just happen to have ones at the top.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#17 of 34 Old 02-17-2010, 11:29 PM

my BF little sis was huge and they told my mom to put her on a diet when she was 1yo...she stayed chubby until she was maybe 4-5 and now at 16 is TEENY...she's actually really tall lol, but, very slender. My mom continued to let her BF and eat solids etc as much as she wanted.

My 2 kids are both slender, but they both were as close to chubby as they got right before they started crawling.
#18 of 34 Old 02-22-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Ladies. I showed my DH your responses, and after some discussion we agreed that he would NOT follow the ped's advice. In fairness to the ped, he had told her that our DD nurses 2-3 times a night, which is not correct. Our DD drinks about 10-12 ounces of EBM while I'm at work, so there's no problem there. But in case she IS overeating, my DH is going to try to be more careful about watching for hunger/fullness cues. She's healthy and solid for sure, and as long as she stays where she's at, I'm not going to worry.

#19 of 34 Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 PM

I think your doctor is crazy and you should probably try to find a new one.

Has your DD always been up in the percentile or did she go from 50% to 95% over the past couple of months?
Our DD is in the 97% for height and weight. Our doctor wants her to stay there until at least a year old. She said that she is not worried about what percentile she is in, she just doesn't want her to drastically move from one end of the spectrum to the other. If a child does move from 50% to 95% or the other way around then it may signify an issue.

I used to be very worried about my DD's size because I have struggled with my weight since puberty. But I just breathe and try to remember our doctors words of wisdom.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#20 of 34 Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 PM

I agree with your doctors a little crazy!!

Our DS was way off the charts and my family practice doc said it was "baby fat" that would go away with age... He is now slimmed down somewhat and is very mobile. He hasn't gained more than 2 lbs since his 12mo well check, he is just growing taller. He will be 2 next month...

So I wouldn't listen to that doctor... actually I would probably find one more on the pro breastfeeding spectrum.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#21 of 34 Old 02-22-2010, 11:35 PM

That is the worst, most ignorant advice I've ever heard. IN fact, it makes me

Keep doing what you are doing, your baby is fine. My beautiful, chubby, huge, fat, off the charts baby turned into a lean muscular active 8-year old. That doctor is out of his mind.

grrrr.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#22 of 34 Old 02-24-2010, 12:41 AM

My kid has not been on the weight charts since 3 months (currently 16 months) My ped. knew he was bf on demand and never mentioned his weight as a problem. He hit 30 lbs by 7 months! Now, he is 16 months and still weighs 30 lbs lol. I wouldn't worry about your kid's weight. I'd feed her the milk before so many solids if it were me.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#23 of 34 Old 02-24-2010, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I agree with the cowpoo judgement.

My oldest was in the 99+% from 1-18 months. She slimmed down. She was like Michelin Tire Baby. She's a perfectly skinny, tall, super smart kid. I wouldn't listen to that doc.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#24 of 34 Old 02-24-2010, 12:49 AM

Cowpoo.

I know this a breastfeeding forum, but just to reassure you...I had two extremely FAT formula fed babies. They were both off the chart for weight up until about a year. My first son went from extremely fat to extremely lanky from about 15mos-24mos. My second son took longer to thin out and is still a tank at age 3, but is well on the charts. (He's not as physically active as his brother.) Once they start moving it seems to melt away.

I find it ridiculous that your doctor would advise to cutout the breastmilk before age 1 in order to reduce her weight.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#25 of 34 Old 02-24-2010, 10:49 PM

Lol - Bella is in the I think 92nd percentile right now, if not more... I EBF her and she's lovely and chunky - so much so that I've had some friends laugh and say "oh, you've obviously NOT been feeding her much huh?"

I'm kinda proud actually...she's lovely! Anyway what's the problem? They're babies...for goodness sakes! It's not like she's one of those 200lb 4 year olds you see on TV every now and again - now THAT is a problem!

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010!Pregnant with Prairie Baby, AKA #3. Due October 17th, 2015.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#26 of 34 Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 AM

I'd be looking for a new ped.

*IF* you were to cut anything out of your LO's daily intake, it'd be the solids first. Prior to 1 year, solids are for exploration, not for nutrition!

Otherwise, I agree with PPs who suggested evaluating if she's getting overfed with the bottle (bottles flow faster than most breasts)... if you're concerned about that, you could try going down a nipple (ie: if you're using a 3, go down to a 2).
And I'd started skimming the responses, so if it hasn't been said yet, also offer BM before solids (and after, actually... that way LO knows that if she's still hungry after the first bottle, she can play with some solids, but there will be another bottle after for her to top off from.)

Bad ped, bad.
#27 of 34 Old 02-25-2010, 11:19 AM

It's so ridiculous. SOMEONE has to be in the 95th percentile. My DD was 95th percentile for weight and height most of her first year, and went down to 75th for weight once she started walking.

Much like many OBs are itching for any "reason" to induce, many peds are itching for any reason to reduce breastfeeding. It's inexplicable. Your breastmilk has complete nutrition in it, and is so much healthier than filling her little tummy with jarred vegetables and other less complete foods.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#28 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 02:34 PM

my babies are opposite ... two of them have been between 5% and 10%, the third was hovering around 50th. my doctor never had any concern of my children being small, he always said it doesn't matter where your child is on the chart, it is just a guide to help see that your children keep growing. ie a small baby isn't malnourished and a large baby isn't overweight. as long as our babies are developing, growing, and eating fine, all is well.

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

#29 of 34 Old 03-03-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyN View Post
I'd be looking for a new ped.

*IF* you were to cut anything out of your LO's daily intake, it'd be the solids first. Prior to 1 year, solids are for exploration, not for nutrition!
I agree. It's downright irresponsible of that ped to suggest what should be your child's main source of nutrition.

Doctors should not give out nutrition advice.
#30 of 34 Old 03-04-2010, 01:56 AM

Up to a year old, it's my belief that a baby should get however much milk they want usually.

I know we had the ped on our behinds because one of my twins was drinking more pumped milk than the ped thought was okay. Nevermind that he (baby) was in the 20th percentile and other peds were encouraging us to feed them solids to bulk them both up. UGHHHH. I didn't limit his intake of milk nor did I feed them more solids. They've always been small children, even now at 7 years old. Same with my DD - big from the start, always 100th percentile for weight. She's five years old, looks skinny but is very tall, so she's still in the high 90% for weight. Who cares, though? Not me. She eats and drinks healthy and is active. So what. GRR!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page