My 9 month old nurse every hour or MORE through the night! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-11-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My nine month old eats three meals a day and nurses on demand throughout the day. At night he wants to nurse every hour or more and I have ryed teething home pathics, changing his diaper, patting his back, rocking, him, he will moan until he gets the breast. My first didn't do this until she was almost two. What do I do? I need sleep. I can usually fall asleep while nursing but my arm is going to sleep and giving back issues, from nursing on side so much. Maybe there is some different positions, I'm stumped, anyone out there relate?
#2 of 6 Old 03-11-2010, 02:07 PM

I can most certainly relate. We stopped cosleeping for exactly this reason. That might not be the solution for you, of course, but for us, it was. When my DD is asleep in her crib, she sleeps like a top for ten hours straight. When she is in bed with me, she wants to nurse all night. No sleep + achy body = one cranky mama. I wish so much that we could sleep together, especially since I WOH FT, but it just wasn't working.

I hope you find a solution!

Lisa ~ wife to Daniel ~ mama to Claire, born July 2009 (IVF baby!)
#3 of 6 Old 03-11-2010, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

I will most def. be putting in crib this weekend at this point I'm trying everything, thank you!
#4 of 6 Old 03-11-2010, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Can you swaddle? Or maybe try dressing him differently for bed? My son wakes to nurse a lot more often if he is hot or cold, or if there is not enough space for us both.
eta: we cross posted, a crib might be really helpful.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#5 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 06:23 AM

This is such an old thread, but I'm wondering if putting your baby in a crib worked. I am going through the same exact thing at 9 months. It has been very difficult and we are starting to think about putting our LO in the crib. We were bed sharing since month four and it was working for all of us. It's one thing for me not to get sleep, but now that LO is up every hour, she is not sleeping. That can't be good for her. If anyone has any suggestions PLEASE let me know. We do enjoy have our baby in bed with us, moving her into her crib is going to be extremely difficult...she hates the crib. I'm going to try and get her in there for naps today. Like the original poster - she eats real food/meals and also nurses on demand during the day - usually every 2 hours. Please anyone have any thoughts as to why she needs to nurse every hour?Thanks in advance.

#6 of 6 Old 04-03-2012, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER611 View Post

Please anyone have any thoughts as to why she needs to nurse every hour?Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry to not have any practical advice, but my older daughter started nursing every hour when her teeth were coming in.  It SUCKED.  And I was so sleep deprived I can't remember what we did except get through it.  I think I sucked it up. Which sucked.  And when I couldn't take it anymore (by 3am) dh walked her around the house to help her sleep.  We both tried to go to bed early every night and sleep soundly without guilt when the other person had her.  But then her teeth came in and she stopped doing that.

The only other advice I have is to repost this as a new thread so that people respond directly to your question instead of the original poster AND to try posting it in the nighttime parenting forum since it gets more traffic.  GOOD LUCK!

OH, and I wanted to add that many of your friends TRULY will not understand what you are going through.  My second daughter is SO different from my first.  And I'm not doing anything drastically differently.  She's just different--came into the world different...teething doesn't bother her as much...she LIKES sleeping, etc.  So much of the advice you get is from people who don't really understand your kid because THEIR kids all slept fine.  It's not your fault.  You're not doing something "wrong."  Some kids have trouble sleeping and I believe my first was one of them. 

Craniosacral therapy might help--it is helping her now (at 5 years old) be more comfortable in her body--I think some of her early difficulties were due to discomfort at a craniosacral level.  I don't even really understand what it is or what it does, all I know is that I've seen it make a difference for my dd, so we do it even though it feels pretty "woo-woo" to me.

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page