re-teach toddler how to latch? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-16-2010, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mamas, I need some help! Our local LLL chapter and a LC have not been able to help so far...I hope you can! I have a three week old baby boy that nurses great. My DD is about to turn to two and I am really struggling with our nursing relationship. My milk was gone when I was about two months pregnant with DS and DD was comfort nursing the entire time. I was glad b/c I wanted her to keep going until the milk came back in. I was excited to tandem nurse and was naive about how once the milk was back we would be all set.

DD has no idea how to latch on anymore. She clamps down on the tip of my nipple and there is a ring of teeth marks around the base of my nipple. It hurts and I am avoiding nursing her..today it was only three times. I want to keep going but I can't ignore how awful it feels. I have tried to explain opening wide; putting more of the nummies in her mouth, etc... The LC advised me against thinking she would latch on like a newborn...but this can't be the best we can do. I don't want to hate every minute of it and I don't want to stop. Can I teach a toddler that has forgotten how to latch on how to do it again?

Single HB mama to 2!
#2 of 2 Old 03-17-2010, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone?

Single HB mama to 2!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page