Newborn failure to thrive - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-06-2010, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a heavy heart and sad news. I'm not going to talk about it too much right now because it is so painful. My newborn son is failure to thrive He has not gained in four weeks. Today I changed from normal formula supplement to a higher calorie supplement. Please pray for my little man.
So sad
#2 of 6 Old 04-06-2010, 01:00 AM

No advice, but I couldn't read without offering a .

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#3 of 6 Old 04-06-2010, 03:25 AM

my little boy did not gain right away either. i added formula to his breastmilk so that he could eat whenever we needed him to- without aitig for my milk production to increase.

the good news? he gained back his birth weight and is now on track! it just took twice as long as the experts wanted him to.

the bad news? he's still on 1/2 breastmilk and 1/2 formula, because i haven't had the time to pump in between feedings (we were forced to move 2 weeks after he was born, and i'm in grad school) to get my milk production back up to where he needs it to be.

so, take heart. lots of love with that high calorie formula will do the trick!

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#4 of 6 Old 04-06-2010, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My first was a FTT baby as well. Its hard

deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#5 of 6 Old 04-06-2010, 03:59 AM

Both my LOs had a hard time gaining. The second one esp. (14.5 lbs at a year!!). That was such a hard period for us.

We found chiropractry very effective for increasing her appetite and improving digestion( a very gentle non-invasive technique called Toftness), as well as classical homeopathy (which, among other things, cleared up symptoms like a very sweaty head, cold extremities, poor skin texture, etc), and also when we began avoiding wheat and dairy, she began to gain and get that spark back in her eyes.

Good luck to you!
#6 of 6 Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 AM

Have you been fully evaluated by a good IBCLC Lactation Consultant? Has your DS been checked for a tongue-tie? How is his milk transfer at the breast? Are you supplementing at the breast? (see: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...lips&Itemid=13)

If the FTT is caused by insufficient milk intake Jack Newman also has a good info sheet with lots of ideas: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Not gaining is scary, Mama I hope you get it sorted out soon! And I hope you get the real life support to maintain your breastfeeding relationship AND have your son gaining well. It can be done - we just need to support Mamas and their precious babies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page