Emergency surgery and now I need help!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last week after some severe cramping, my gyn sent me to ER after WBC came back high. What they thought was appendecitis turned out to be a several hour surgery to remove a minorly ucky appendix in addition to several inches of small bowel that had a ruptured lesion. It is stll in pathology a week later. 5 days were spent on a morphine pump (set for every 10 minutes), an ng tube for 5 days, and no food for 5 days. Thank god for my bff who pumped and rounded up several other woman to pump, as they fed DD2 the entire week. I pumped and pumped and pumped in the hospital and was lucky to get 3 oz a day. I think my body was in shock and still is.
Now dd2 has never been the comfort nurser that dd1 was and she has depended much more on pumped milk while I am at work. She is still nursing the same but I am concerned for her when I go back to work next week. As wonderful as my friends are they can't keep pumping for me so I am stuck either doing formula (she has never had a drop) or whole milk. Physically, I cannot get milk in enough amts. I am eating a small diet and dealing with soft bland foods and if I don't I get sick. I am 15lbs down (whoohoo haha) but at an awful price.

So which? Whole milk or formula. She will of course still nurse at night and in the morn hopefully as long as dd1 did.

Tia!

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 03:12 PM

You haven't mentioned your regular work routines (how long are you away from the child, do you pump, is child brought to office, etc.) or your child's state of health.

Without that information, it would be difficult to make any suggestions.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:12 PM
ssh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
From your signature it looks like your DD is about a year old. I'd continue nursing her and then supplement with whole milk.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

I work 8 to 5:30 M-F, everyother Monday off. My mom and grandmother watch the girls. She eats about 2, 4oz bottles right before each naptime and she LOVES them. She is an extremely healthy child, had a cold or two and just had Roseola.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
You haven't mentioned your regular work routines (how long are you away from the child, do you pump, is child brought to office, etc.) or your child's state of health.

Without that information, it would be difficult to make any suggestions.

Liz

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
Old 04-06-2010, 03:56 PM

I had surgery when my youngest was 9 months old (hospitalized for 5 days with pancreatitis, then gallbladder surgery). I had never pumped before, and my supply took a HUGE dive.

Add to this, my baby wasn't a huge comfort nurser, and he had always been on a routine (since birth) of just nursing after he woke up. That week, he dropped from 3 naps to 2. So, when I got home from the hospital, he wanted to nurse 4 times a day, plus once a night. Not enough.

I added back nursings before naps, as well as after. That upped us to nursing 6 times a day. I also added another night feeding (I woke him at 5am, to get one drowsy feed in). So, he was nursing 8 times in a 24 hour period. That was enough to get my supply back in about 10 days.

I did have to supplement a little bit during those 2 weeks, and I chose to use whole milk. Well, not much of a choice. My child refused to drink formula.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:08 PM

When you are able, perhaps you could try eating a nice bowl of oatmeal a day. Watching for adequate water intake when you return to work is important too.
Supplementing your pumping with whole milk in the short term and nursing as often as possible at home seems like it could be your most viable option. If co-sleeping would work for your family, it might help to increase your hormone levels and the proximity might encourage your little one to nurse a little more.

Best wishes,

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.

User Tag List