Help - I'm a skeleton! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really stressing over whether or not to wean my dd at one year. I know all the benefis of extended breastfeeding and I was really hoping to make it two years like I did with my son, but I just don't know if I'll make it.

The problem is that I'm 5'6" and 102 lbs and I'm STILL losing. Normal for me is around 120-125. My clothes won't stay on and I feel weak and sickly. I know it's from bf'ing because I got this way with my son too, although my thinnest with him was 108. As soon as he started weaning around 2 I slowly started gaining back.

Part of the problem is that my dd is dairy, peanut, and egg intolerant (through my milk), so I can't eat any of the good stuff.

So I guess my question is, how do I decide what's more important - my health, or dd's? Is there something super high fat I can easily eat (no time for complex meals!) to put on some lbs?

Please help!

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

#2 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 05:45 PM

You can eat avocados and dress everything in evoo. Have you had your thyroid tested?
#3 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 PM

This may not be applicable, but have you had your thyroid checked? After pregnancy women are more likely to have hyperthyroid issues, which can make it really hard to keep any weight on.

As far as nutrient/fat dense foods, do you like avocado? That's great. Also there are some yummy oils that can be easily added to foods - names escape me right now (pregnancy brain). Hopefully someone else can join in.
#4 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 PM

How about toast slathered with another nut butter and honey, pasta with olive oil and herbs, hummus made with lots of tahini, dried fruit, canned salmon with all the skin if you're not a vegetarian?. Real granola with oil, honey or maple syrup and dried fruit and nuts has tons of calories and is super easy to make.
And congratulations, Patio

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#5 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Those are some great suggestions, thanks a ton!

I haven't had my thyroid tested lately (no health insurance), but I did when I was losing while bf'ing my son and it was fine. So I would think it'd be ok now, too.

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

#6 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 11:16 PM

I am sorry that you have such a decision to make and commiserate with you. At 5'9 and 106 lb., I, too, am at my lowest weight and nursing 14mo DS. I lost weight rapidly while breastfeeding DD 4 years ago and never gained back to pre-preg weight, so I understand your thoughts completely. DS does not have allergies, though, so your situation is especially hard. Healthy fats might help, like olive oil, canola oil, and avocado. If you try simply adding oils to your food, remember they can become rancid quickly and should be kept in the fridge. Quinoa is a source of good protein with some fat and wheat germ also is a fair fat source. If other nut butters don't cause allergy problems, this may be the biggest help. Tahini and almond butter are great choices. Other nuts and seeds (pumpkin seeds, Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds) may also help as tolerated. Are goat's milk products tolerated (cheese and milk)? For me, eating frequently is a must, as often as every 2 hours or I too feel "weak." I encourage you whatever your decision to feel positive that you have done such a wonderful thing for your child for the last year! Best wishes!
#7 of 21 Old 04-15-2010, 05:33 PM

You might want to try going over to the allergy forum to ask for suggestions. Those mamas over there have lots of good advice because many of them have had to eliminated lots of foods due to the LOs allergies.
#8 of 21 Old 04-15-2010, 05:38 PM

I extended bf a toddler with allergies to milk, egg, peanut and treenuts.

I was a good 50 lbs overweight at the time Sub soy or rice milk for dairy. Eat Soybutter or Sunbutter in place of peanuts. Use ground flax seed or applesauce to replace eggs in recipes.

Don't let your child's intolerances keep you from breastfeeding or keep you from being healthy! It can be done s

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#9 of 21 Old 04-15-2010, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
garden of life raw meal replacement in the blender with juice or milk alternative and a big dollop of coconut oil and some raw honey, sugar, maple syrup, etc.

Bring back the old MDC
#10 of 21 Old 04-15-2010, 05:46 PM

A friend also loses weight when she cuts out diary. She had to while nursing both her kids because they are allergic to dairy. She does start losing weight untill she eats her nursing diet that includes some bacon (quality bacon!) and lots of other good fats. I think she has to eat MORE then she would normally too.

It CAN be done, but takes some fat eating dedication! Good luck with that!

I don't lose weight while nursing *sigh*
#11 of 21 Old 04-15-2010, 11:16 PM

DD has a laundry list of allergies too, I feel ya! It sounds like madness but I just ate all the time and eat as much fat as you want, maybe more. I love avocado and when we were figuring things out I would eat an entire avocado almost everyday. Put EVOO on EVERYTHING. Bake with palm shortening (spectrum organics) or coconut oil. I love coconut milk too, lots of fat. You can make ice cream from it or buy coconut ice cream. Use it in smoothies, as your liquid in pancakes, wherever you can put it! You can make a dairy-free "mac-n-cheese" with hemp milk, too(I am trying to find the link but having a hard time tracking it down). Hemp milk has a decent amount of fat.
Here are a few of my favorite dairy-free things(some might have your other allergens, sorry, ours are different): BLOG

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#12 of 21 Old 04-15-2010, 11:25 PM

Try making smoothies with the rich canned coconut milk. Can you do alternative milks like Almond Milk? The Vanilla flavor has more calories than plain. Do you eat meat? You could try making fish with really good sauces. Like others have said avocado and olive oil too.

Otherwise, do get your thyroid tested. Pregnancy can cause problems with it and make it hypo or hyper.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#13 of 21 Old 04-15-2010, 11:27 PM

Coconut milk/oil is great! It helped my friend who was struggling like you. EVOO is amazing, too, and so are avocados.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#14 of 21 Old 04-16-2010, 08:44 PM

I lost weight when nursing DD too. I got crazy skinny and didn't feel very healthy. We started her on solids at 1 year, and that helped the strain on my body, but I still had trouble. What I found helped quite a bit was making sure to take plenty of vitamins and supplements, and to eat regularly. This meant a lot of snacks since I'm a working mom. I eat quite a bit of granola and protein bars, dried fruit, nuts, fresh fruit, and whole milk. With your child's allergies, it gets a bit harder, but just try to think of ways to sneak calories into your food. This is the one time in your life you HAVE to indulge! So supersize that soy latte, get that sandwhich with mayo, chow down on the fries, and remember that you need calories! Obviously it is best to make healthy choices, but you also need to make sure you are eating enough to take care of yourself.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#15 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the tips! I went to Super Target and stocked up on all sorts of healthy fattening stuff mentioned above. I also found some Sunflower seed butter - had no idea they made such stuff! I've been eating about 3000 calories a day and have actually put on about 5 lbs in the past few days. Yay me!

Thanks again for all the advice, and baby Emily thanks you too.

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

#16 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Awesome

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#17 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Oh goodness! I sympathize! I am 5ft 1in and I also lose lose lose while nursing! I am only 92 lbs
Anyways lots of pasta, EVOO, peanut or almond butter, bacon, sausage, avocados, ham, buffalo meat ( it has higher iron and less saturated fats ), and most people thinks this sounds disgusting...pop corn popped in bacon grease. No it's not as unhealthy as it sounds, you can actually google some things about it! Apparently it's high in Vit D! Your iron could be low too, mine was/is now I take Floradix Herbal Iron...it is AMAZING! You can get a vegan version of this. I always eat high quality meats, I always get mine from Whole Foods or Fresh Market. They have a great selection Oh when I make pasta, I always add EVOO and garlic to my plain noodles then add the sauce. I also make sure I keep up on my calcium my eating lots and lots of leafy greens. I had actually thought of weaning a few weeks ago, my body was becoming SO weak! I still kind of am actually. I just did a MAJOR diet change.
#18 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
After I had #3 this is how I was, too. I could not keep up my weight or stop losing. I have a hearty appetite anyways, but being dairy free and vegetarian really took it's toll on my body. I like the recommendations above. FWIW, my weight started evening out and I got to about...115 at 5'5" when she was 2 years old. It just took awhile.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#19 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 08:59 PM

Can I donate my extra pounds to you ladies and that would solve all our problems????

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

#20 of 21 Old 04-21-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
After I had #3 this is how I was, too. I could not keep up my weight or stop losing. I have a hearty appetite anyways, but being dairy free and vegetarian really took it's toll on my body. I like the recommendations above. FWIW, my weight started evening out and I got to about...115 at 5'5" when she was 2 years old. It just took awhile.
I had to cut out dairy for almost the whole first year, and I'm vegetarian too, so I lost about 30 lbs more than my pre-preg weight. I've stopped pumping at work though, and even though DD still nurses when she's with me I finally have started feeling like I can go more than an hour without eating! I gained back about 5 lbs, so I'm feeling a lot better and am not all bony anymore. A lot of the foods mentioned above are great suggestions!! Especially avacado .
#21 of 21 Old 04-23-2010, 09:02 PM

All the suggestions above are great! I encourage fried foods- egg rolls and chimichangas! Also, you can pack on more calories by drinking beverages. Water is good, but juices, nut/rice/soy milks, even the occasional soda pop will provide calories in addition to hydration. Also, keep your favorite desserts in stock! Try the non-dairy ice creams and vegan brownies (no eggs), they're pretty yummy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page