Is there any "good" formula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Moms--

I have a real dilemma on my hands. I have a friend who's production is very low and she needs to supplement. She has health issues that are very common with low supply so constant nursing and pumping is not the answer. The baby will most likely have to be formula fed but they all have corm syrup and tons of other nasty stuff in them Has anyone used or know of a "healthy" formula on the market? I suggested that she use formula in a supplemental nurser so she can "breastfeed". Any suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Sorry, I don't know much about formula but I wanted to see if she has considered donated breast milk as an alternative? How old is baby?
#3 of 27 Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think that would be feasible for her.
#4 of 27 Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Standard formulas do not contain corn syrup. They are made of cow's milk and assorted vitamins and minerals. Their contents are highly regulated so all the brands are pretty much nutritionally equivalent.

Lactose-free formulas (eg soy) need to have an alternative sugar source but it's pretty rare for a baby to be lactose intolerant, most will do better on the standard milk-based formula.

The ingredients are on the label you know!

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#5 of 27 Old 05-05-2010, 05:40 PM

There are some organic varieties that I would personally try to find if I could. I know that Dr. Sears also has a goats milk formula on his site that you can make. HERE is another goat's milk formula you can make so that you know just what is in it.
That's a great suggestion to have your friend use the SNS to maintain as much supply as possible.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#6 of 27 Old 05-06-2010, 09:02 PM

We use Earth's Best organic dairy formula. Unfortunately, pretty much all formulas available in the US contain soy, which I'm not crazy about. But for that reason I'm really trying to stick to organic.

So far as I know, the only formula thats contains corn syrup is hypoallergenic formulas like Neocate.

As for using a supplementer, absolutely. I don't know what I would have done without the supplementer - it's allowed me to have a nursing bond with my DS even if I can't give him my milk.

There is a goat's milk formula available in the UK, but shipping is ridiculous ($60/case in shipping). We looked into it though since little guy was sensitive to dairy when he was NB (and soy is not an option and corn syrup is last resort), but he seems to be doing much better with it now (he's 7 mos).

As for making formula, please, please, please do the research on it first. I know many people who say oh my mom fed us on goat's milk and corn syrup and we turned out fine... well, we know a lot more about nutrition now and that's really not nutritionally sound. WAPF has a couple formula recipes on their website (also in the book Nourishing Traditions) if you want to go that direction, but it is a BIG hassle. I have all the ingredients in my kitchen and just don't do it anymore (we did it when he was a NB until we got donor milk though).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 02:34 PM

We used Earth's best too...and it worked fine for both my kids. Like your friend, it was a supplement to breastmilk b/c of low supply issues. I used the SNS with my daughter and LOVED it - I'd recommend it.
#8 of 27 Old 05-20-2010, 05:45 PM

Earth's Best is supposed to be very good. Same with Baby's Only. Although that's advertised as a Toddler Formula.

We use Similac Sensitive, which has soy and corn syrup in it. However that's literally the only formula my son does good on. He's very healthy though and doesn't have any problems unless we were to give him a formula that has lactose in it, then he gets sick really sick (he can't keep it down worth anything). I know they say lactose sensitivity is rare, but he really does have a problem with it. We've even tried yogurt and he can't keep that down either.

Formula isn't all bad. Sometimes it's necessary and really, if you looked at all the kids you really wouldn't be able to tell which was fed formula or Breast Fed. Just as long as the formula agrees with the tummy obviously.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#9 of 27 Old 05-21-2010, 12:49 AM

Oh yeah, Baby's Only is good too. We started using that once he turned one although our doc said it is fine for younger so long as you are just supplementing - she seemed to think it was about advertising and trying to support breastfeeding. I actually tried both the earth's best and baby's only and have to say that baby's only tasted WAY better to me...kinda coconuty.
#10 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 01:53 PM

I have used Vermont Organics to supplement both of my daughters. I mail order it by the case.
I tried Baby's Only because I am not crazy about the DHA/RHA source in Vermont Organics and Earth's Best, but my older daughter didn't like it so I've stuck with Vermont Organic this time around.

Babywearing, Co-cleeping, Child-led Weaning Mom to Esther and Edythe
#11 of 27 Old 05-28-2010, 02:51 AM

We did ALOT of research when we found out I would have to supplement because of low supply and the best on the market seems to be made by Natures One Baby's only -dairy. But like said above, all formulas are basically the same as far asnutrient content goes, the difference is going to be where the nutrients are sourced from. You can go on the Natures one site http://www.naturesone.com/ and look at the comparison charts to other formulas as well as click on every ingredient contained with in any of their formulas and they tell you what it is for and what it is derived from. Gives some peace of mind when you have to supplement. This company was the first to make organic formula 10 years ago and they only make baby products and encourage breastfeeding.

We also add their DHA/ARA supplement and a probiotic to our babes formula to boost brain development and to aid in digesting the formula and create a healthy gut.
#12 of 27 Old 05-28-2010, 02:19 PM

I wanted to add this new info about formulas:

as many of us know DHA and ARA are non essential fatty acids that have been determined to help with brain development and eye sight and are found in breastmilk. This artical describes the USDA's ban on allowing DHA/ARA supplements to allowed to be added to organic formulas because of the synthetic way they are extracted (using hexane, a petroleum product) Gross!

“only one over-the-counter formula is available without synthetic DHA/ARA.”

(Please double check these statements with a Pediatrician or a Lactation Consultant. We are neither, and do not claim to be better informed than health professionals. This is simply what we have decied to do for our family.)

1. We use Baby’s Only organic formula. It is made by a company called Nature’s One. It is organic, uses non-GMO ingredients, and is made in the USA. It is marketed as a “toddler formula” because the company strongly encourages breast feeding. However the formula complies with the Infant Formula Act, and is safe to feed to infants. You can see brand by brand nutritional comparisons on their website.

2. Baby’s Only does not use DHA/ARA additives in their formula, for many of the same concerns that this article expresses. They do, however, sell a DHA/ARA supplement which can be added to the formula. Their DHA and ARA is extracted from egg yolks using a natural water process. This product is free of Hexane, and other synthetic oils.

3. For better digestion, and so our formula is more like “living” breastmilk- we use a probiotic supplement. There are many of these on the market containing different numbers of different “friendly” bacteria to help your baby’s gastrointestinal tract. The most importantant thing to look for is for the supplement to contain “Bifidobacteria”, of which there are several kinds. The most important is “Bifidobacterium infantis”, which is found in breast milk and seems to help our baby digest her formula even better.

So far, one month in, we have had great success with this system. Our baby is healthy and appears to be thriving. However, every baby is different and has different needs. What we believe is important is for every parent to make a concerned effort to only put the best into their baby. Whether it’s breastmilk or formula, if it’s fed to your baby with intention and love, we feel a baby will thrive that way
#13 of 27 Old 07-18-2010, 02:37 PM

I like Similac Organic for my infant (fulltime student/work messed up my supply so I had to supplement at daycare)....it is not perfect but IMO a very good one. Baby's Only gave my baby tummy probs, but I used it with my now-2 yr old when we had to supplement at daycare with no probs.

Similac & Baby's Only are the only ones that are palm olein free. Also Earth's Best, Vermont Organics, Parent's Choice are all the same exact formula (made by BPM) just with a different label. They all contain palm olein and the entire can (top, bottom, sides) is coated with BPA.

And actually the regular old Similac Advanced has great ingredients except its not organic. The ready-to-feed is $4.75/qt at my Sam's Club.

Long story short- I'd go with either Similac Organic Or Baby's Only and possibly Similac Advanced...assuming her baby won't have issues with any of those.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#14 of 27 Old 07-18-2010, 02:50 PM

I agree that were I in a position to need to use formula, I would make every possible effort to avoid DHA/ARA and also soy.
#15 of 27 Old 07-18-2010, 03:25 PM

Honestly, I had to use some formula(in a Lact-Aid, which I highly recommend) because of low supply and the most important thing to me about choosing a brand is that the company engage in NO marketing whatsoever.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#16 of 27 Old 07-18-2010, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think making your own is the best. I am really don't trust pre-made much of anything these days! Here are a few links....

http://www.realmilk.com/formularecipes.html

Good luck!

'09   
#17 of 27 Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM

If your friend can't afford milk from a bank, maybe she would consider donated milk - at least as a supplement, or until she figures out how to make her own formula/which one to use...

http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/
#18 of 27 Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 PM

I am a mother who had her heart set on breastfeeding. However, I have been unable to breastfeed since the birth of my child, as I never produced any milk supply. I saw a lactation consultant and reproductive endocrinologist, used a hospital grade pump, and tried herbal supplements; however, no answers were found and I never produced a supply. Therefore I must exclusively formula-feed.

I noticed there have been some recent changes to some big brand formulas - Earth's Best & Vermont Organics. Earth's Best has recently added "glucose" solids to their milk-based organic infant formula (I called the company and was told it is corn syrup derived). Vermont Organics has recently added organic corn syrup solids to their milk-based organic infant formula as well. They are both PBM brands. As for the reason behind this, Earth's Best told me that "the FDA just mandated a change".

Unfortunately, I just tried Baby's Only for a few weeks and my 4 month old became extremely constipated. So I may have to continue using one of the above-mentioned formulas, due to lack options. I understand Europe has some better formulas, but getting those would obviously be a challenge.
#19 of 27 Old 07-21-2010, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bet you'd find more organic contaminants in breast milk than you would from hexane extraction of DHA/ARA.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#20 of 27 Old 07-21-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post
I bet you'd find more organic contaminants in breast milk than you would from hexane extraction of DHA/ARA.
DHA/ARA supplements in formula have no known benefits. They exist purely for marketing reasons.
#21 of 27 Old 08-02-2010, 09:24 PM

We used the WAP formula recipe for DS2. It's a lot, but honestly I got used to it really quickly and could whip up a batch in the blender in no time. We used a blender-full a week (which is one full recipe) so I just made it on grocery day/when I do the rest of my kitchen prep. I'm already collecting donor milk for this baby, but when that runs out we'll go back to the WAP recipe. A lot of the ingredients can be found really cheaply at iherb.com.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#22 of 27 Old 08-02-2010, 09:44 PM

Is it possible to receive donor milk if my baby is not premature or ill - if it is just me who has a medical condition? (My midwife suspects I was born without enough glandular tissue to produce milk).

No one - lactation consultant, pediatrician, etc. - ever mentioned this option to me. Thanks.
#23 of 27 Old 08-03-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenyoga123 View Post
Is it possible to receive donor milk if my baby is not premature or ill - if it is just me who has a medical condition? (My midwife suspects I was born without enough glandular tissue to produce milk).

No one - lactation consultant, pediatrician, etc. - ever mentioned this option to me. Thanks.
most commonly it is a mom-to-mom donation.

nak
#24 of 27 Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
most commonly it is a mom-to-mom donation.

nak
Yeah, I doubt you could get the prescription to go through the milk banks and your insurance, but milk share is just mom-to-mom donations. You just have to pay for shipping if there's no one in your area.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#25 of 27 Old 10-03-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
DHA/ARA supplements in formula have no known benefits. They exist purely for marketing reasons.
Do you have true empirical evidence to back this up? I would love to read it.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#26 of 27 Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaffNowCryLater View Post
Do you have true empirical evidence to back this up? I would love to read it.
Yes, it's all in here.
http://cornucopia.org/DHA/DHA_FullReport.pdf
#27 of 27 Old 10-03-2010, 11:01 PM

Fabulous article
it's going on the hard drive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page