Domperidone to Induce Lactation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2010, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
Does anyone know.. is it more important to take the domperidone at regular intervals throughout the day? Or to take all of it for the day?
I've just started taking it to induce lactation for my daughter, due in August. I have irregular eating schedules and sometimes end up having three doses left to take at 5pm. What would you do in this situation?

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010, 11:11 PM

It is, from what I've read, important to divide up your daily supply into regular doses. I've actually read that you can make it more effective by taking smaller, more frequent doses but I always took my 90 mg a day as three 30 mg doses.
What protocol are you using to induce lactation? I'd love to hear about it

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Old 05-07-2010, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

I guess you could say I'm doing the lazy-but-determined way. I started taking Yasmin 8wks ago with full intention of starting dom at the same time... only I was lazy about ordering it! Ha ha ha! So, I finally ordered it and started one week ago. So that would be roughly six weeks of BCP and then adding the dom. I'm slowly working up to 40mg, 4 times a day. I'm now doing both at the same time and will continue that until about the end of June when I will, I guess, stop the BCP (hallelujah!) and continue the dom, add herbs, and pump like a crazy woman!
Mostly I've kind of hobbled this plan together to fit with my work schedule and time until our baby arrives in mid-Aug. I'll be finishing a very, very stressful, no privacy, no breaks, job at the end of June. There's no way I could possibly be pumping before that! I'll have a month off before starting a new job in July, so I can flexibly focus on pumping, etc.
I'm also theoretically planning to reduce my caffeine intake somewhere in there, though I probably won't get rid of it altogether. I think that about covers it. I'm, luckily, thus far really relaxed about it and enjoying the process so far!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:43 AM

Sounds great! (And honestly, I wouldn't worry about the caffeine - it's never seemed to bother my son a bit).
Not sure of your specific circumstances, but another thing that may help you develop your supply is to use a Lact-Aid to supplement at the breast if it's required.
Good luck, mama-to-be.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Old 05-07-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Megan! I'm so excited to do this, I can't wait til August!! It can't come soon enough!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:02 PM

I would take the domperidone 4 times a day and try to space them out evenly. I wouldn't worry about taking it with a meal, just take it when it's time.

Kelly - Labor & Delivery RN, IBCLC, Wife of 22 years, Mom to 4
Proud Surrogate Mommy

Old 05-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Actually, I forgot to mention that it's better to take it on an empty stomach (which is generally defined as an hour before or two hours after a meal).
Here's Dr. Newman:

Generally, we now start domperidone at 30 mg (three 10 mg tablets) 3 times a day. In some situations we go as high as 40 mg 4 times a day. Printouts from the pharmacy often suggest taking domperidone 30 minutes before eating, but that is because of its use for digestive intolerance. It is true, though, that absorption of domperidone is greater on an empty stomach. You can take the domperidone about every 8 hours, when it is convenient (there is no need to wake up to keep to an 8 hour schedule—it does not make a real difference).

Old 05-08-2010, 02:23 AM

I reccomend not taking the dom with meals to avoid weight gain as well. Since it causes stomach emptying, if you take it with your meal then the food will exit your stomach faster and you will be hungry again sooner. Many people have weight issues while taking it. I did not. I don't know if I was lucky or if it was bc I always took mine in between meals.

Good luck! So exciting!!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 05-08-2010, 02:50 AM

4x a day, I've never seen an all at once regimen. That isn't to say it doesn't exist! But with domperidone or metoclopromide, well, beware, you might be a bit gassy. At worst, entirely self-propelled. Good luck, I hope you succeed.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 PM

i took 30mg 3 times a day for 10months with my ds to maintain supply..gl mama
Old 05-08-2010, 04:48 PM

4 kids under 10

User Tag List