Post-frenotomy (tongue tie clipping) exercises? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-10-2010, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had DS's tongue clipped today, at 5.5 weeks. I've read that there are exercises to help a baby strengthen those newly released muscles and re-learn how to attach correctly. My ENT didn't give me any of those; if anyone else has done them, can you describe them to me?

Thanks!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#2 of 11 Old 05-10-2010, 11:19 PM

PMing you.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#3 of 11 Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM

My LC recommended a few resources:

The Breastfeeding Answer Book, La Leche League International, 2003
Supporting Sucking Skills in Breastfeeding Infants, Catherine Watson Genna, 2008
Breastfeeding Management for the Clinician, Marsha Walker, 2006

I have a number of exercises we're doing now due to DD's latch issues, but each targets a different issue. If it's just an issue of extending her tongue, maybe some nipple/paci tugging and tongue massage would be a good start.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#4 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 10:26 AM

Is it possible to get a copy of those tongue exercises too?  My DS had a posterior tongue tie clipped at just over 3 months old.  I'm worried that the tie may be reattaching itself.  

#5 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 10:27 AM

Is it possible to get a copy of those tongue exercises too?  My DS had a posterior tongue tie clipped at just over 3 months old.  I'm worried that the tie may be reattaching itself.  

#6 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 11:07 AM

We are lifting the tongue up for 5-10 seconds several times per day, and then she sucks on my finger as I gently press on her tongue, then I pull the paci out (not all the way, just enough that she tries to suck it back in)...our ENT suggested the tongue lifting and our speech pathologist suggested they other two...not sure if it is making a difference yet. I do think her tongue is coming up higher though...not sure if its the exercises or jsut her realizing she can move it...DD's was released 3 days ago so its still kind of early to tell.

#7 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 01:01 AM

I have questions about this as well... started a rather lengthy thread before i realized you guys are discussing it here as well. Check my thread out and feel free to post... i'm kind of worried about the "exercises" we have been instructed to perform :/

#8 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 04:12 AM

I posted on your other thread... I wrote my response here after our first revision - the ENT who did it did not cut far enough back and we got it redone a month and half ago by Dr. Kotlow.

Our new IBCLC also recommended pressing down on the tongue and stroking it outward to encourage the wave motion and her to extend it forward, we also saw a new speech pathologist who recommended that we let her mouth as many different things as possible and I honestly think as far as retraining her tongue movement that has been the best help - not sure if that would work with a newborn though my DD is 6 months.

As I said in the other thread, no matter how brutal the stretching it is crucial...if you aren't going to stretch properly there is no point in even getting a revision (IMO)

#9 of 11 Old 08-25-2012, 06:09 PM

Hi there!  Can you link to the other post that you are referring to so that I can read it?  My 11-week-old little girl had her frenotomy last week.  I specifically asked the ENT about post-procedure care and he said nothing about the stretching.  She is still having latch issues and is compressing the nipple.  I'm hoping the exercises will help with that and preventing reattachment.  Thanks!   

#10 of 11 Old 08-25-2012, 07:19 PM

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1355184/posterior-tongue-tie-post-procedure-care/0_30#post_17040917
#11 of 11 Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page