latching issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-20-2010, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an 8 week old baby, who won't latch on after being off for a few days. I was instructed by LC at 5 weeks to discontinue direct breastfeeding due to deep fissures on both nipple probably caused by baby's "bubble palete". After a few days of healing we tried to latch back on with no luck. Now after 3 weeks we get an occasional success about every other day one time. This is very frustrating and wondering if anyone has a similar experience. I also am very sore from just one latch on and partial feeding. I am pumping for now but would love to get my baby back on the breast. I am concerned with continued damage as my nipples are permanently scarred from original weeks.
#2 of 4 Old 05-20-2010, 08:49 PM

I'd go back to the LC and insist they show you how to get the baby latched on. I'd venture to guess that some of the damage was from improper latching to begin with. At least that's what I was told with my LO. The correct latching makes a world of difference. The LC showed me to use a C shape hole with the hand on the side that I was latching the baby onto, keeping the fingers well back from the areola and compressing the breast and when the baby's mouth was really open wide to really shove the breast far into his mouth. At first it gagged him as did getting the bottle in properly but with some practice he got it. I still have to consciously think the process through each time so we get it right.

Me : DD 5/05: DS1 7/06 : DS2 11/07: DS3 3/10
#3 of 4 Old 05-20-2010, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The bubble palate makes things tricky. DS has a 'dome' palate and it's been a really rough ride- but where there's a will there's a way! The thing with palate issues is that it causes the nipple to point in wierd positions once it's inside their mouth. Also, has anyone checked him for tonguetie? I've read that TT and palate issues often come together (I only ask because DS was also TT and that HAD to be fix before things improved any). I agree with the PP about seeing the LC again, or even another LC if needed.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#4 of 4 Old 05-21-2010, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately we can't even get close to a latch on, because he screams and won't close his mouth to suck. Even with milk going into his mouth. We have tried every aid and seen every LC available as well. Wondering if any one else had a baby with such a short fuse and have success. I am pretty much done trying as I have tried everything!! We are hoping to keep pumping.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page