How long after tongue tie clipping did breastfeeding improve? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The title says it all. How long after your LO's tongue tie was clipped did the breastfeeding improve? We're at 1.5 weeks out and only a slight improvement.....

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 08:03 PM

posterior?

have you tried cst?

sorry - nak
Old 05-21-2010, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Wish I could nak.

Not anterior, but not really posterior, either. The ENT called it an "odd place".

Haven't tried cst -- not really my thing. I did suck it up and try a chiropractor after the clipping, to no avail (and the chiro didn't really seem to think it would help, either).

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 05-21-2010, 11:02 PM

i have seen several posterior - the harder ones to overcome - that took about as long as baby was tied to get better, but baby usually had cst as well.

did you get tongue exercises to do?

good luck!

nak
Old 05-22-2010, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Henry had anterior and posterior. Anterior clipped at 11 days and posterior at 6 weeks. I noticed a BIG improvement almost right away with the posterior clipping. He was no longer gumming my nipple or clamping down. But, he still had issues transferring milk efficiently.

He also has a bubble palate. He just didn't have the strength to really do well at the breast. I've basically been pumping from the start. He's 21 weeks old and I'm still pumping. He nurses at/through the night. I've tried returning him to the breast many times and it was just too stressful. Every time he was either slow to gain or lost weight.

So, to relieve stress and anxiety I've just stuck with pumping. Right now I'm having to supplement until I can increase my pumping output.

We've had a lot of struggles since the beginning. I had high hopes breastfeeding would be easy and uneventful like it was with my girls who were EBF. I'm determined to make it work.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

Old 05-24-2010, 12:13 AM

I could never NAK either. :-) It would have required 3 hands.

Anyway, please hang in there. Clipping was the best thing we ever did, even though it took at least 4 weeks for me to heal up, and DS still occasionally latched weird even months later.

One day you will be nursing and just realize that it's better than the week before. And the next week it will be better still.

We did two sessions of CST; I can't say whether it was the CST or just time that brought improvement.

DS is still nursing some and he's 20 months old. There's no way we would be here if we hadn't had his tongue clipped, and if I wasn't a crazy persistent person with nursing.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:53 AM

Bringing this old thread back to light to see if anyone has new imput!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 PM

My baby's tongue was just clipped 3 days ago, and also waiting to see a difference. What is CST? Thanks.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:44 PM

Cranual sacral therapy

It's been a month and we're still changing but that's bc if supplementing and catching up on supply ... still.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 PM

I've been at an Osteopath 4 times already. My baby needed to be reclipped 3 weeks later, due to partial reattachment.

This time I'm also giving her the Calendula /Aloe Vera drops.  Hopefully it will heal better, and she's still clicking.

User Tag List