High-Palate and possibly tongue tie help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-22-2010, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are desperate for help. After much consult and no advice or help by two MW, and an LC and more....a public health nurse said...I think babe has a really high palate and that could be part of our issues with severe pain. I have a really high palate and we look into ds mouth and it is the same. Okay, so I feel a bit more on track with some root cause of pain and irritation, blanching, purple compression bruises, little tiny blistery things, shooting pain, hurting montgomery glands, cringy pain on and off for 8 weeks....now i don't feel like I am going so crazy. So, I google info on high palate and tongue tie comes up which is not a new thing. I stick my finger in ds mouth and I can feel his big frenulum and his tongue actually doesn't move up or out very much. I now think he might have slightly tongue tie. No one has checked him since birth (including mw's who blindly treated me for thrush with G. V. twice).

I feel disappointed and angry that I kept calling people and asking people for help and words were "I dont' know what else to suggest". Yesterday, 8 weeks post partum, was the first time people looked at me breastfeeding, looked at the breast, the nipple, the colour issues, showing where it hurts. I had three public health nurses (here in BC) gather around to help me. I felt supported and cared about for the first time and wish I had it right away with the pain

So, what now? Who do I take him to, to have him checked out? Any experience with high-palate babies? He compresses SO hard my nipple is permanently traumatized, cuts off circulation, etc. I am thinking because he has to now since his tongue doesn't move up much etc. Poor lil guy...

Suggestions? Direction? Much much appreciated.
#2 of 2 Old 05-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if i were you i'd get that tongue-tie clipped. have you read the sticky at the top of the forum - worth looking at. Where are you in BC? You may want to post on finding your tribe for a good ibclc in your area, or someone who clips tingue-ties. If you can feel it then it will be anterior (at least) and an easy clip. Thing is, most docs will only clip in the office until 10 or 12 weeks, so you are running out of time.

for the high palate, have you tried latching on without an asymmetrical latch? just going straight in with the nipple? sorry - hard to describe over the internet!

i am so sorry that it has taken this long before anyone looked at you bfeeding or in baby's mouth - not good enough at all!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page