Lact Aid cleaning question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2010, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been using the SNS since my babe was 6 days old, after spending 3 days in the hospital because she was dehydrated and my milk had not come in and finding out I have IGT and a very low milk supply. Bummer. I have been using the SNS exclusively and maintained a great boobie bond with my LO, but the clean out with the SNS is laboring after each feeding and it never seems to get clean, even after boiling. Also we are getting ready to be on the road for the next several months and the convenience of the Lact-Aid is enticing. And I like that they have to work harder, which will hopfully continue to stimulate my milk! I know you throw away the bags or you can reuse, but how do you clean out the tubing/device part? boiling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I far preferred the LA to the SNS. Will you have access to a small fridge or plug-in cooler as you travel? We had enough LA's to have one for each feed. My partner cleaned them all at night and filled them for the next day. You can't feasibly reuse the bags. We kept the filled LA's in the fridge, and when I needed one, I just took it out, tucked it in my tank top built-in-bra cleavage shelf, positioned the tube, and latched DD on. When she finished, I just tucked all of it back into the fridge, so as not to promote bacteria growth. As for cleaning, we just ran hot tap water through the system, and occasionally (rarely) boiled the parts.

So, to make a long story short, we only washed the components once a day after keeping them in the fridge to prevent bacteria growth. This does mean having several LA's, which can be pricey, but I found all of ours on Craigslist and only paid full price for the replacement bags.

Congratulations to you, mama, for keeping your little one at the breast!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:58 AM

I'm using the LA for my fourth baby now, and I'm really glad I found it.

To clean, there is a small bulb syringe that you use to force soapy water through the tube first, followed by a 50% vinegar solution. You sterilize by soaking in the 50% vinegar solution for something like half an hour. Then rinse in water (the LA people recommend distilled, but I just use tap water) and you're ready to go.It's a routine that only takes a couple of minutes.

Having a couple of LAs is great advice; we have six and I'm really glad I do. Best of luck and good for you for keeping your baby at the breast! I know it isn't easy, and you deserve kudos!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:44 PM

Good for you for keeping your LO at the breast. I have unexplained low supply and used the LA (love, love, LOVE it!) to keep my little guy nursing into toddlerhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larastheme View Post
To clean, there is a small bulb syringe that you use to force soapy water through the tube first, followed by a 50% vinegar solution. You sterilize by soaking in the 50% vinegar solution for something like half an hour. Then rinse in water (the LA people recommend distilled, but I just use tap water) and you're ready to go.It's a routine that only takes a couple of minutes.
Great minds think alike, Starling! It was DH's job to clean and fill the units using larastheme's method above. We got six units because it was handy to have them all ready and lined up in the fridge.
There's no need to use distilled water unless you have really hard water - normal city tap water is fine.
If you're using formula, you can also save time by using liquid formula instead of powdered because the directions say you have to strain the powdered stuff to avoid clogging the tubes, although I don't know if this really a big issue.
I have never reused bags but some mamas here swear by it.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif

User Tag List