Please help with my supply...BFAR mom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is 9 weeks. He is only getting about 1-1/2 oz per feeding every 2-3 hours. When I pump after a feeding I can get about another 1/2 oz out. I am also supplementing after his feedings from me with another 3 oz or so of formula. I am currently taking the max dose of Domperidone (160 mg) and a bunch of fenugreek and blesses thistle. Is there something else I can try? I have goats rue but I don't think it made much difference. Maybe I just didn't take it long enough. I have been on the dom about 3-4 weeks. I have noticed an increase in supply but not too much.

When I see the milk coming though the pump....it's such a thin tiny stream. Is this normal? I had a breast reduction 20 years ago. What is the best way to use the pump to up my supply? I don't think I can pump after every feeding. I am trying to get at least 3 good pumping sessions in a day. I am using the hospital Medela Symphony. Is it possible I am just at my max? Any other herbs I should try? Alfalfa helps some too. What else?

Thankjs,
Sandy
#2 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 05:36 AM

Hi Sandy

my situation is almost identical except I didn't have reduction. I don't have any suggestions that have worked for me unfortunately. But I have also tried eating oatmeal every day, drinking tons of water, and switch feeding. Have you seen a lactation consultant?

This weekend I am getting some shatavari. My LC suggested it. I have heard it works well for others.

I have heard that "power pumping" should help.... Pump 10 wait 10 for an hour. But like you, my LO eats too often to do this.

Do you notice if your supply varies over 24 hrs? Mine is great after I sleep fir a few hours and is lowest at ~8 pm.

From one frustrated BFer.....
~Katrina
#3 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I do notice more milk in the am. I have seen several LC. None of them suggest herbs though...only drugs. I think I may try the Shavarti as well. I just feel like I am taking so much already. lol I will do a search for power pumping on these boards. Good luck to you!

Thanks,
Sandy
#4 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersweet View Post
When I see the milk coming though the pump....it's such a thin tiny stream. Is this normal?
it is for me and i am not a bfar mama.

nak but wanted to say yay for you and your hard work!
#5 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 03:40 PM

Are you using bottles to supplement?

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#6 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 04:07 PM

It sounds as if you're doing great the only thing I would add to the mixture would be to get a Lactaid and supplement at the breast with the breastmilk that you pump and then the formula if necessary. http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17 this is a good website for herbal remedies, keep pumping and doing what you are doing - it takes a lot of determination , there is also www.bfar.com - i think which may be good for you to log onto - it's for women in your situation and I know alot who have had a great deal of compassion, understanding and support from other women who have gone through the same thing.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#7 of 16 Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am using a bottle. I tried the lactaid with my other son and it was a disaster. I could get another and try again. Do you think this would really help? I would not want to do this when I am not at home. Can I do both? Maye the lactaid would help him stay on the breast longer. I think he gets fed up with the low flow and just stops. I breastfed this am until he was ready to stop. Usually when he stops and I weigh him, I can see he has taken about 1-1 1/2 ounces usually. Sometimes a little less, sometimes more. I can then pump another 1-2 ounces. I am pumping right now and so far, I have just about 2 ounces. I don't know how much he got this am since I didn't do a feed and weigh.

I will say, since I have been increasing my pumping, my output has increased. I have not been getting this much when I have pumped before. So, I am hopeful with the right herbs and a good pumping schedule and the lactaid, I can bring it up even more. Any good pumping advice? Right now, I am trying the pump 10 minutes, stop 10 minutes, for an hour.

Patiogardener...thatnks for your encouragement! I appreciate all the suggestions ladies!

Thanks,
Sandy
#8 of 16 Old 06-29-2010, 04:04 PM

Absolutely, the Lact-Aid will help. I know it's horribly difficult to get the hang of, but I'm so glad I gave it another try with my 2nd. We used it until I decided I didn't want to anymore, when he was 1. He also got bottles, since I had to return to work before then.

What I HIGHLY recommend while you're getting the hang of the Lact-Aid is to take Rescue Remedy before you do it. It just helps take the edge off the frustration and anxiety.

ETA: There are TONS of different herbs that could help. Goat's Rue, which you mentioned, is supposed to help build breast tissue. There is also alfalfa, nettle, oat straw, and many others. I highly recommend you check this site: http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/default.aspx
#9 of 16 Old 06-29-2010, 09:08 PM

I can't recommend the Lact-Aid highly enough. It will keep your LO at the breast to get the most breastmilk possible. I have used it to NIP and no one has ever noticed!
Good luck, mama.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#10 of 16 Old 06-30-2010, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

I am going to order the Lact-aid. I used the SNS with my ds, not the Lact-aid. Is there that much of a difference? My concern with the Lact-aid or SNS is that I won't be able to wean him off of it. Meaning my flow without it will be way too slow and he will never want just me again. I don't want to use this forever. I would much prefer to breast feed and bottle feed the way we are doing now. That gives dh and nana a chance to help out. I know I need the Lact-aid to help increase my supply but what about after that. Will he become used to the increased flow of having the supplement there and refuse me when there is no extra supplement flowing?

I am pretty sure the reason he does not stay at the breast longer is because the flow is very slow. I guess I don't have as many ducts as a normal, non-breast reduction breast would have. Although it really seems to be kicking out some milk in the first few minutes of pumping. Then it slows way down. I breast fed him this am until he was not interested. I could tell he was getting some because he was drinking and I would feel it rolling down my belly. I came downstairs and have pumped almost 2 ounces. I only seem to get this much one time, and that's the am pumping session. I get less other times. Sometimes, much less. I breast fed him once during the night and again the am before I pumped.

Thanks,
Sandy
#11 of 16 Old 06-30-2010, 02:29 PM

I don't know what you mean by forever, but, as I stated before, I used the lact-aid for the first year. After that I ditched it. He continued to breast feed until he was 2. When he was 9 months old, we went away, and I actually forgot my lact-aid (or some essential part...I don't remember). Anyway, I panicked and thought that would be the end of our breastfeeding relationship. However, I fed him first, and then give him a bottle. He was fine. It was only for about a week, but it was relieving.

With my first child, I used the SNS, and it was SO frustrating, I gave up after 6 weeks. I figured the stress involved was counterproductive (hence, my suggestion to use Rescue Remedy, which I SWEAR really helps). I breastfed her first and bottle fed her afterward. At 6 or 7 months, she absolutely REFUSED to breastfeed. I think she was just fed up with not getting enough milk.

So, for me, it was totally worth it with the second. And it gets to be super easy. And yes, it is that different.

I sent a link for MOBI Motherhood in my last post, but I'm doing it again. 2 different parts. They have a yahoo group of the most amazing bunch of ladies with various breastfeeding challenges. They are compassionate, non-judgemental, and extremely knowledgable. I found them to be an invaluable resource. So the first link is a link to the herbs that can help increase breast tissue and supply, and the second for their yahoo group:

http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/portal-Nutrition.aspx
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/mobi/
#12 of 16 Old 06-30-2010, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
make sure your using a slow flow bottle. that way baby has to work for the milk, even thou it is in a bottle. even when I was bottle feeding I never let anyone else feed him. I tryed to make it like I was breastfeeding. holding him at breast level, skin to skin. feding was my job, I understand wanting others to help out. but they can help in diffrent ways. then baby makes the connection mom=food
you can do it!!

good luck

mama to Alex 20 Briana 16 Cory 10 and Jade 3Tubes tied and regret it
#13 of 16 Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 PM

On the other hand, I have had great success with the SNS. I have used it since Cecilia was born. I use it at every feeding, or rather, I offer it at every feeding. Sometimes she just want to bare nurse for comfort, which is fine by me. I have figured out how to lay the tube along my breast so that she still has to suck to get the flow; it doesn't just drip into her mouth. I took a picture (shirt on ) to show how the tube lays over my breast. I like the SNS better because I like knowing exactly how much Cecilia takes in at a feeding.

Whether you use the SNS or the Lact-Aid, you should really try to supplement this way for every feeding, so that your supply is stimulated every time the baby eats!

Have you visited BFAR.org? There are a LOT of resources there, including a master list of galactagogues, how much to take, and so on. Plus there's a great community of mamas who have been there, done that, who can advise you as well!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#14 of 16 Old 07-02-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate the link. That mobi site is great! I think I am going to order the SNS to start with since Amazon can get it to me the fastest. I can then switch to the Lact-Aid if I don't like it.

Cecilia's Mama, thanks for the pic.

Thanks so much,
Sandy
#15 of 16 Old 07-06-2010, 02:35 PM

I haven't taken any prescriptions to increase my milk supply, but I have been able to continue breastfeeding by using Breastea. My milk supply went from about 1 ounce to a little over 5 ounces. I exclusively pump every 2 to 3 hours around the clock.

When I was having the low milk supply, the doctor did some blood work on me to make sure I didn't have anything going on. I do have PCOS, so that is probably what is hurting my milk supply.

Just thought I'd share.
#16 of 16 Old 07-06-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmommylove View Post
I haven't taken any prescriptions to increase my milk supply, but I have been able to continue breastfeeding by using Breastea. My milk supply went from about 1 ounce to a little over 5 ounces. I exclusively pump every 2 to 3 hours around the clock.

When I was having the low milk supply, the doctor did some blood work on me to make sure I didn't have anything going on. I do have PCOS, so that is probably what is hurting my milk supply.

Just thought I'd share.
Well the tea seems to be working for you - so don't knock anything that works for you - lol, keep going and thanks for the update, you're doing a great job

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page