We're off the nipple shield -- Update post 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both boys are nursing shield-free! Anthony stopped almost four weeks ago. I took the advice to alternate using the shield, and after a day or so, he would spit out the shield and only want boob! This made life so much easier.

Then just on Sunday Vincent suddenly stopped too! He didn't want any more shield at all. He got the boob the first time and never looked back. Yayyyyy!!!!!

This makes my life a million times easier. Thank you all for your advice!

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned

Hey, congrats on nursing twin preemies! That's amazing all by itself. I used a nipple shield for 5-6 months before weaning off it, and am still nursing at 19 months. When I was worrying about weaning off it my LC told me she knew a mama who used one for 11 months (before weaning all together). Basically, as long as your supply is fine there's no real problem with a shield, I think. Just keep offering, especially when they're just waking up, and eventually, maybe after a long time, it will "take." As soon as my son got it he refused a nipple shield emphatically.
#3 of 9 Old 08-15-2010, 05:53 PM

Yes, I had to remind myself that nipple shields are not the devil. I was so resistant at first, but it saved our nursing relationship. Of course, they are also a pain to find and wash all the time too!

In order to wean off of it, I did every other time on every other side with/without it. That let my boobies get used to it slowly too.

I think I remember that it was easier to go w/o when DD was really tired, like a night time feeding. She was still half asleep and didn't notice as much. She was in my bed a lot, so I just shoved in a bare boobie when she started stirring...
#4 of 9 Old 08-17-2010, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! Lol, HappyMommy, you and I think/write exactly alike.

Yeah, I know that the shields aren't bad, per se, they're just a PITA to have to depend on. I have to dig them out, place them on, aim them into the babies' mouths, reposition them if the babies move, wash 'em off, etc etc. Plus, NIP will be much easier w/o having to worry about them too. So it's a long-run question, not so much an I have to fix this urgently question.

I tried a rebirth bath (kellymom.com suggested this) and it was fun, and the babies tried out the boob for a few seconds here and there. I've also been practicing with the bare boob when they're not *too* hungry. For example, when they've been eating, they move and the shield comes off, I won't put it back on right away, and they'll get a taste of the boob, so to speak. They try, but it only lasts a few half-hearted sucks. Then the screaming begins. It's like they don't notice that the boob is in their mouths because it doesn't stick back as far as the shield does.

Did it take a really long time to get them used to the bare boob? I'm thinking that this will take months if I do it slowly. But I don't want to do it suddenly, in a standoff, so to speak.

#5 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 AM

We used a nipple shield, too, and I was really stressed about weaning off of it -- it was every single feeding for maybe 5 weeks and then sporadic use for the next couple of weeks, and now we never use it -- she'd refuse. Honestly, I think what helped the most was to quit being stressed. When I found out about people who'd used one their entire nursing relationship and when I was reassured DD was getting enough and gaining well, I decided just to ignore the doom and gloom from my LC and LLL leader. I'd offer without or see if she'd continue without it, but I wouldn't press it. After I reached that point, I took a really relaxed, gradual approach, and in retrospect, it didn't take that long at all to wean from it.

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#6 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Well... this may be tmi..... but I tried to squish and elongate the nipple in order to get it in deeper in her mouth. I have giant aureolas but kind of flat nipples. So I would try to make it flat so it would go deeper in her mouth.

I also remember that when very young, sometimes she only opened wide enough when she was screaming. Does it work to insert boobie when that screaming mouth is wide open??

Send us an update!
#7 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 03:06 PM

I have large breasts and small, flat nipples. I used a nipple shield with DD for about the first 6 weeks. It took me two weeks to wean her from it. This is how I did it: I would start nursing with the shield on and when she was about two minutes from being done and my nipple was in the shape of the shield, I'd pull off the shield as quickly as possible and pop her back on the breast hoping she wouldn't notice. It worked best if I left the shield on until she was almost nursed to sleep. Sometimes this worked, sometimes it didn't. But I kept trying at every feed. Every two days I'd reduce the time with the shield on until she only used for the first few minutes and was comfortable with that. And then I lost it. The shield that is. And had a nervous breakdown because it was 1am and there was NO where I was going to be able to buy a new one. And what do you know, she latched right on and when I found that nipple shield a few days later, it went straight into the trash. Be patient and keep trying!

Christina, mama to A 10/05, E 09/07 and S 01/11; Spending my time as a wife, mama, teacher and student. Loving every minute of it! Life is so good!   joy.gif
#8 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 04:03 PM

Hmm...this probably may not be much help but I also used a nipple shield with my son for the first 3 weeks or so because we just couldn't get a good latch. I used a medela silicone nipple shield. I liked that I didn't have to pump anymore but hated the shield because it would fill up with milk too fast and dribble out of the holes in the shield. He couldn't drink it fast enough! I would let him nurse with the shield for about half the time he needed to nurse, quickly unlatch him from the shield and remove it while he was swallowing a pop my nipple into his mouth in one quick swoop. I tried it not thinking it would work but it did! I was so suprised and proud of him! He still needed the shield for awhile but eventually latched without it. I agree with everyone that replied already- just keep offering your nipple before the shield. They'll get it eventually! I think you are amazing for nursing your twins! Its wonderful!

femalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif crafty Mama to Maxwell, born April 5, 2010 and partner & best friend to Dan <3

#9 of 9 Old 10-01-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Both boys are nursing shield-free! Anthony stopped almost four weeks ago. I took the advice to alternate using the shield, and after a day or so, he would spit out the shield and only want boob! This made life so much easier.

Then just on Sunday Vincent suddenly stopped too! He didn't want any more shield at all. He got the boob the first time and never looked back. Yayyyyy!!!!!

This makes my life a million times easier. Thank you all for your advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page