Can I Night-time Pump ONLY to Inc. Supply? (I have low supply) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is it possible to increase my supply if I pump only at night - 7PM to 5AM? What do I need to do to make it work? My DD sleeps well at night... ~7:30/10PM thru to ~3A/5A... so I think I can do this.

Just a little history: I have a low milk supply and have been working on this for several weeks. At one point, I had a good increase, but has since dropped a little. Which leads me to believe that I could get more if I tried... but, I find it difficult to pump during the daytime (even as a SAHM). But, I'm willing to try night-time pumping IF it will work.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 07:31 PM

do you cosleep
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

"Modified cosleep." The crib is right next to the bed.
I'm not sure what you're thinking... but I don't plan on waking her up to feed at night unless she wakes on her own. She's 10 weeks and sleeps mostly thru the night now.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How old is your LO and when did you stop night feedings? Often, when the night feedings stop, mothers notice dips in their supply. That middle of the night pump (2-3am) can make a big difference

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
Old 08-30-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germin8 View Post
"Modified cosleep." The crib is right next to the bed.
I'm not sure what you're thinking... but I don't plan on waking her up to feed at night unless she wakes on her own. She's 10 weeks and sleeps mostly thru the night now.
Why not "dream feed?" She's going to be faster and more efficient than the pump and if you stimulate supply at times when you're not willing to wake her you have the problem of how to feed her the pumped milk.
A bottle invites flow preference, the last thing a low-supply mama needs, and do you really want to buy, learn to use and wash a SNS?
(Although my first question is whether you're sure you really have low supply. Is your babe not gaining well? Kellymom.com has great info on breastfed infant growth, which should be 5-7 ounces a week at her age.)

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Old 08-31-2010, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I already use an SNS. She' been pretty-much sleeping thru the night since she was 2 weeks old. I noticed a dip in my supply when she was 6 weeks (due to less time pumping). I really prefer not to wake her... I've done everything I can to work on low supply, some of which I cannot continue... which leads me to my question:

So, will night-time ONLY pumping increase my supply?

Old 08-31-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
So, will night-time ONLY pumping increase my supply?
if you pump at least once between 1 and 5 am (when prolactin is highest) it will help to maintain your supply, if not increase it. the more times milk is removed, the more your body will make. if you continue to feed at the breast for all feeds and pump when baby is asleep, then yes, it should hopefully help to increase supply.

off topic slightly, but when do you offer the sns? is baby feeding first without, then adding later in feed? if so, that should help too (over sns to start).

nak
Old 08-31-2010, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I pump at least between 3A & 5A. Sounds like adding another pumping session could help. I'd squeeze one in around 11P. It's going to be tough *yawn* but, I want to give it a try if it may help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
off topic slightly, but when do you offer the sns? is baby feeding first without, then adding later in feed? if so, that should help too (over sns to start).
Rarely does our DD feed w/o SNS. Unless she is looking for a "snack". When she's hungry, she's hungry and gets quite impatient w/ my low supply and extremely 'slow' let-down. It's just never worked for us; I have to use the SNS right at the start. But now, I'll try and put her to breast more often when she's not hungry... see if that helps any.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Rarely does our DD feed w/o SNS. Unless she is looking for a "snack". When she's hungry, she's hungry and gets quite impatient w/ my low supply and extremely 'slow' let-down. It's just never worked for us; I have to use the SNS right at the start. But now, I'll try and put her to breast more often when she's not hungry... see if that helps any.
i understand. will she continue to nurse without flow from the sns once her initial impatience/hunger is satiated? just trying to brainstorm ways for you to increase milk removal/time at breast that will be easier on you than pumping

good luck
Old 08-31-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm. I could try and see. Would she swallow air, if there isn't much/any there?
I know I've only pumped one ounce during the day when she doesn't feed from breast (like when we are traveling on the road). So, I think she finishes that pretty quickly during SNS... but, let me try what you suggest! Thanks.

P.S regarding swallowing air: She actually gets impatient and I switch to other side. Then stop. We'll see how this goes. :-)

User Tag List