Not gaining weight, 3 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-03-2010, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am frustrated, sad, upset, and ready to quit.

I have nursed 3 previous children (3 1/2 years; 5 years; and 2 1/2 years respectively), with little to no issues.

Every since child #4, got Pyloric Stenosis it has been an uphill battle. We had surgery and and breastfeeding unfriendly Surgeon.

He gained weight for a bit after the surgery, and eventually got back up to birth weight almost 2 months later. We are maintaining and not gaining now...

He was screaming and spitting up horribly for a while, so we started reflux meds (xantax .5 3x a day). We still have lots of issues with spit up at times, but keeping dairy out of my diet seems to help.

I have done one weigh, feed, weigh again with the WIC LC, and he took in 3.1 oz in that feeding. That is when I discovered that he has basically not really gained anything in the last 6 weeks, or he may have even lost a couple of ounces. It was not one of our best sessions, as I had held him off eating to do it, because they were still working with another mother at the start of my appointment and she ran over about 30 mins..so he was a bit on the starved side.

I have totally lost confidence in my ability, because the ped we were seeing in the practice for everything was pushing formula and that I was not producing enough and that was all that was wrong with my child (even though evidence contradicted her).

He also had huge issues with major tongue tie, that took until he was about 3 weeks old to get completely resolved.

Right now, he only wants to shallow latch. I get him latched on with a deep latch, but he pushes out, and it gets more pushing and pulling back in when I am letting down. He will also sometimes arch his back or pull his neck further back during letdown.

Any suggestions. I don't want to give up, but I am feeling totally lost and helpless at this point in time. Other than lack of weight gain, he shows no signs of not getting anything -- he is pooping anywhere from every 2-12 days and they are huge poops, especially when they are farther apart timewise. He is putting out about 4 soaked disposable diapers a day (about 5-6 when I am using cloth). He is meeting milestones, and still growing in height and head circ.

When we get some money in, I am going to purchase a digital scale so I can do the weigh, feed, weigh at home and also weigh his wet diapers for out put purposes, so I can show to the Ped what is going on, for the inevitable - you need to switch to formula because your child is not getting enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 AM

I saw this listed in new posts and recognized your name from the DDC. I have no advice but wanted to send a big, big hug to you and your little guy

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

#3 of 8 Old 09-03-2010, 12:19 PM

I don't really have advice either, except it seems if your LO is taking 3 ounces at a time- that's good, right? It sounds like he IS getting enough. My DD is 3.5 mo and has that crazy shallow latch like your guy- we've been working with the LC to change it but no luck so far. She is gaining fine tho, it's just my nipples are taking a beating because she clenches and bites, pops off all the time, it's awful. She's also on Zantac and spits a lot.

Your DS has been through a lot with the surgery and the tongue tie- maybe he just needs more time. It seems he is doing great under the circumstances and switching to formula would just upset his gut more. Do you have a good relationship with your LC?
How often do you get to see her? It's so hard to change a latch at this point.

ETA Just wanted to give you hugs, too. Hang in there.
#4 of 8 Old 09-03-2010, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh mamma, I know exactly what you're going through!

How is his palate? I ask because many times palate issues occur with tongue tie. He could be compensating for a high palate by pushing out your nipple, or have the sensitive gag reflex from tonguetie.

We are still working on DS's latch, but it's been a battle to get him to gain weight.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#5 of 8 Old 09-03-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

I am also trying the suck training technique where you put your finger in his mouth, tap the top of the roof and then the tongue, and gently pull trying to pull it out.

He just let's you pull it out..wont even try to fight you, or he may slightly bite down with his gums.
#6 of 8 Old 09-04-2010, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
I am also trying the suck training technique where you put your finger in his mouth, tap the top of the roof and then the tongue, and gently pull trying to pull it out.

He just let's you pull it out..wont even try to fight you, or he may slightly bite down with his gums.
I had to do OT with a speech pathologist with DS to strengthen his mouth enough to latch without falling off constantly during a feeding. There are many other exercises other than the one you mention. Can you see a speech pathologist for an eval of his oral motor skills?

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#7 of 8 Old 09-05-2010, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

I can ask, but it could take anywhere from 4-8 weeks to get an eval done after the referral is made. I am taking him in this week to the LC to do a weigh feed weigh again and see if anything has changed in the last week.

If not, I have no clue what to do. I know our ped is not the most breastfeeding friendly and will probably recommend trying formula first. But, I can only imagine what it is going to be like with how much he already spits up with just breast milk.
#8 of 8 Old 09-05-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
I can ask, but it could take anywhere from 4-8 weeks to get an eval done after the referral is made. I am taking him in this week to the LC to do a weigh feed weigh again and see if anything has changed in the last week.

If not, I have no clue what to do. I know our ped is not the most breastfeeding friendly and will probably recommend trying formula first. But, I can only imagine what it is going to be like with how much he already spits up with just breast milk.
Before trying formula, I'd try supplementing with your own milk. It sounds like you're pretty convinced this is a feeding issue and not a supply issue, right?
If so, you could probably boost your supply by pumping after feeds with a double electric pump then use it to supplement after the next feed by cup, syringe or SNS.
If he's maintaining, it could be just a few ounces a day to push him over the edge to gaining appropriately.
Good luck, mama.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page