goat's rue during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-09-2010, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My LC just told me I could take goat's rue all through pregnancy (I am currently 8+ weeks). That is contrary to everything I have heard about taking goat's rue (waiting until 34-36 weeks). Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Trish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-09-2010, 10:51 AM

There are sites that say that the research and informatioin is lacking however this is kellymom's take on it and the other is Diana West's who doesn't mention pregnancy at all - strange - i guess I wouldn't risk it, Goat's Rue is of the Fenugrec family and that certainly isn't advised in pregnancy.
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...f.html#goatrue
http://www.lowmilksupply.org/goatsrue.shtml

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#3 of 7 Old 09-09-2010, 11:48 AM

I haven't read anything that recomends taking it that early. I'm taking alfalfa during "early" pregnancy, and I will add in goats rue around the 34 week mark.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#4 of 7 Old 09-10-2010, 05:43 PM

i wouldn't take it that early, i've only heard of taking it the last 4-6 weeks, you could look into taking some of the safer herbs now, like alfalfa. I'm about 8 weeks as well, i plan to start taking alfalfa to help with breast growth during pregnancy.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#5 of 7 Old 09-10-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Did either one of you getting sick on alfalfa? It seemed to make my morning sickness worse so I have held off taking it for a few days.
#6 of 7 Old 09-10-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teton1898 View Post
Did either one of you getting sick on alfalfa? It seemed to make my morning sickness worse so I have held off taking it for a few days.
I only took it once so far, and i don't think it affected me, i have the loose powder form so i am trying to figure out how to take it, it doesn't taste bad, just like grass, but it's not mixing well with water, so maybe i will try warming the water first or taking it with hot tea or something. I was kind of waiting to get the making more milk book before i officially started it though, so i get a better idea of how much to take, i am thinking about just doing 1 teaspoon a day ,the book doesn't say how much of the loose form to take.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#7 of 7 Old 09-10-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teton1898 View Post
Yea.. I'm 16 weeks now and still haven't started it because everytime it tips the morning sickness over the edge again.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

User Tag List