How long does it take to start smelling like maple syrup? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-23-2010, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have always had low supply. I gave up early with #1, went 5 months with #'s 2 and 3, and now #4 is almost 3 months. I've tried Fenugreek in the past. #2 was able to get enough milk to not need to be supplemented and never stopped gaining. #3 stopped gaining after 5 months, so we started supplementing and slid down the slope to just quitting. This time Baby started losing weight after about a month and I think I started supplementing around 6 weeks. I am DETERMINED to go longer.

I have been taking Domperidone for a few weeks now. I've been taking 4 pills in the morning, 3 in the afternoon, and 3 in the evening. It doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot except causing some weird spotting issues if I don't take it on time. Although I admit I don't know what I'd produce without it. I don't want to find out.

I also just started taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. I've been taking 3 Fenugreek 3-4 times a day and 2 Blessed Thistle 3 times a day. I've been taking it for about a week now. I've noticed some nice increase in my supply. I'm up from pumping 2 ounces total to 3-3.5 ounces. But I have no hint of maple syrup smell. In the past it's taken less Fenugreek than this for me to smell syrupy.

I don't know if I should keep upping the Fenugreek until I start to smell? More at one time or more often?
Should I increase the Blessed Thistle?

I promised my husband I wouldn't keep spending a ton of money to increase my supply since it just irritates me in the end. I just really want to succeed at this and feel like it could be a simple solution that I'm overlooking.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#2 of 5 Old 09-23-2010, 04:10 PM

This doesn't answer your question about Fenugreek but you might want to look into taking Alfalfa. I've heard it works very quickly to increase supply. i personally don't like Fenugreek. It made my newborn very colicky and the smell of maple syrup was nauseating to me.
#3 of 5 Old 09-25-2010, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm taking notes on this one since I plan to switch from the tincture to the ground fenugreek.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#4 of 5 Old 09-30-2010, 08:32 PM

I take twelve fenugreek a day and do not smell like syrup anymore. Only smelled like maple syrup for the second day on or so.

Summer, wife to DH (07/99), SAHMama to DS (07/08) & DD (07/10).
#5 of 5 Old 10-03-2010, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Would you happen to know how many capsules make 1/4 tsp? I bought fenugreek in bulk... (cheaper) ...and am making the switch from tincture.

I'm taking 1/4 tsp, 4 times a day. That's either 8 capsules or 12 capsules a day... no maple syrup smell on the first day.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page