Extremely painful bf'ing sudden onset? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-06-2010, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is a week shy of 11 months and we have been exclusively bf'ing the whole time. We don't do bottles (we did for the first 6 weeks, which were really rough but she hasn't had a bottle since). My daughter has always preferred my left breast so I've always made a point to get her to eat from my right breast at least a little bit so both produce milk. But now, for the past three days it has been excruciatingly painful when she eats on the left side. the nipples hurt so bad, she's not biting. I don't know what's going on. And she basically refuses to eat from my right side now. Used to she would take it for at least a couple minutes, now she latches on, takes one or two sucks and then flails around until you give her the left side. It hurts so bad that it makes me not want to breastfeed, but I really wanted to go 2+ years, and I definitely want to make it to at least a year so that we don't go for formula.

Mommas, help me please! My formerly pleasant experience is turning sour.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#2 of 6 Old 10-07-2010, 02:00 PM

Hi
could you be pregnant?

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#3 of 6 Old 10-07-2010, 02:25 PM

Is she learning to walk? It's possible she could have bumped her head and gotten her jaw out of alignment and can't open all the way on one side for a proper latch. At that point babies often use a side to side sawing motion that can make mom feel like she's nursing a piranha. A pediatric chiropractor or osteopath can gently adjust the jaw and put it back into alignment. Try icpa4kids.org to find a pediatric chiropractor in your area.

Mom to Lovebug 2/10 and wife to DH.
Thrilled to debut our beautiful 2011 breastfeeding calendar! www.beautyofmothering.com
#4 of 6 Old 10-07-2010, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewe+lamb View Post
Hi
could you be pregnant?
I highly doubt it. I have had a period since the last time I've had sex, plus it was protected. Not that I couldn't be pregnant, just the likelihood seems very low?

Plus, wouldn't it be in both sides? I dunno because this is my first experience breastfeeding, just my thought.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#5 of 6 Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky85 View Post
Is she learning to walk? It's possible she could have bumped her head and gotten her jaw out of alignment and can't open all the way on one side for a proper latch. At that point babies often use a side to side sawing motion that can make mom feel like she's nursing a piranha. A pediatric chiropractor or osteopath can gently adjust the jaw and put it back into alignment. Try icpa4kids.org to find a pediatric chiropractor in your area.
She is sorta learning to walk. She's cruising on things. She did have a big fall this week, and had to have stitches (in her foot), but I THINK she was nursing like this before that. I will try to find a pediatric chiropractor locally. Is that something that insurance usually covers?

#6 of 6 Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM

Do you think y'all could have thrush?

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page