How to obtain Reglan or Domperidone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-16-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am having some issues with my milk supply.. I exclusively pump (baby won't take breast, long story) and my milk supply has taken a huge drop..especially since I started my period at about 8 weeks PP. I'm now almost 12 weeks PP. I pump about every 3 hours and can only get 1.5-2 oz total. This is obviously not enough for my daughter and I am having to give her faar more formula than I'd like. I've tried everything to increase my supply.. bought a new breast pump, fenugreek, mothers milk tea, cluster pumping... everything. I'm getting so frustrated with it I've contemplated just giving up. but I can't make myself do it I atleast want her to have some breast milk as opposed to none at all. So my question is how could I go about getting a perscription for something like Reglan or Domperidone? Do I make an appt with my OBGYN? Will she even perscribe it to me or are there certain guidelines they have for who can get it and who can't? Any input greatly appreciated, Thanks..

treehugger.gifMama to a beautiful baby girl diaper.gif.. Ava,   born 8/21/10!  saynovax.gif

#2 of 18 Old 11-16-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?? crap.gif somebody must be able to help me?

treehugger.gifMama to a beautiful baby girl diaper.gif.. Ava,   born 8/21/10!  saynovax.gif

#3 of 18 Old 11-16-2010, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm going to move this to Breastfeeding Challenges where you might get more answers. Good luck!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 18 Old 11-16-2010, 08:41 PM

I don't believe you can get domperidone (legally) in the U.S. I'm in Canada & they prescribe it regularly here though. Reglan, I have no clue.

#5 of 18 Old 11-17-2010, 10:36 AM

You CAN get Domperidone in the US legally but it's expensive and hard to get... It has to be compounded and it's hard to find a doc who will even write a script.

I order from inhousepharmacy.biz. It's name brand, from New Zeland and blister pack sealed. I've used it for 3 kiddos now.

HTH!

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#6 of 18 Old 11-17-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattygirl99 View Post

You CAN get Domperidone in the US legally but it's expensive and hard to get... It has to be compounded and it's hard to find a doc who will even write a script.

I order from inhousepharmacy.biz. It's name brand, from New Zeland and blister pack sealed. I've used it for 3 kiddos now.

HTH!

You say your order from inhousepharmacy.biz, but what exactly do you order from there, and how well does it work? Thank you

#7 of 18 Old 11-17-2010, 08:12 PM

Here is the domperidone:

http://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/digestive/motilium.html

~ Fe ~
#8 of 18 Old 11-18-2010, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much. My next question is seeing as how expensive it is, does it really work for you?

#9 of 18 Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 PM

yes! When I relactated for my older DS, it doubled my supply in 48 hours. I was pumping exclusively then so I knew.. Now I'm feeding at the breast and not pumping so I don't know how much it's increased but I know it made a difference in keeping my supply when I was dealing with transfer problems (severe tongue tie) and delayed milk coming in (from mild hemorrhage after birth). I'm slowly weaning down now at 8 weeks old but will likely maintain a low dose the entire nursing relationship.... It's worth the cost and is cheaper than formula per month by far.

~ Fe ~
#10 of 18 Old 11-19-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome I'll have to give it a try, thank you!

#11 of 18 Old 11-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned

yes, Domp. works. It works best in the first few months, but I got it when DD was 3 1/2 months old, an we could start weaning of the supplement within a week (as in 50 ml less donated milk a day, another 50 ml less about a week later etc.), AND DD started gaining well, right away!

#12 of 18 Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 PM

Sattygirl99, I just ordered from inhousepharmacy- how long did it take you to get your order? Have you had any problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattygirl99 View Post

Here is the domperidone:

http://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/digestive/motilium.html

#13 of 18 Old 11-24-2010, 05:56 PM

Your best bet from now on is to look up a local LC or midwife and find out the name of a doctor who will write you a prescription. With a prescription, you can buy online from Canadadrugs.com (or similar, but they are who I use- PM me if you want a coupon), and the price is MUCH lower. I get 600 pills at a time for around $175. They source from the UK and have high quality standards.

Dom is way more effective than Reglan and does not have the bad side effects. I have been using it for over three months, and my supply still keeps edging up (and I have IGT). I hope it works for you and that you can find a way to get it cheaper by rx. Btw, it's perfectly legal to prescribe and buy Dom here, just not okay to sell it (compounders get around this, but they charge a lot for their efforts). So there's nothing sketchy about using Dom.

Summer, wife to DH (07/99), SAHMama to DS (07/08) & DD (07/10).
#14 of 18 Old 11-24-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your advice, a very nice mama on here actually sent me some of her domperidone.. and I can already tell a difference, I'm getting 1 oz more than usual everytime I pump. Thanks again everyone!

#15 of 18 Old 11-25-2010, 09:57 AM

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzpuff View Post

Thank you everyone for your advice, a very nice mama on here actually sent me some of her domperidone.. and I can already tell a difference, I'm getting 1 oz more than usual everytime I pump. Thanks again everyone!

#16 of 18 Old 11-25-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somemyrrh View Post

Your best bet from now on is to look up a local LC or midwife and find out the name of a doctor who will write you a prescription. With a prescription, you can buy online from Canadadrugs.com (or similar, but they are who I use- PM me if you want a coupon), and the price is MUCH lower. I get 600 pills at a time for around $175. They source from the UK and have high quality standards.

Wow, that's expensive... I get 600 pills for $80 from inhousepharmacy... It's name brand and in blister packing.

My last order took 20 days to arrive, OP.

~ Fe ~
#17 of 18 Old 11-26-2010, 09:30 AM

Really?  I must have looked up the wrong place, then.  Last time I looked at a compounding pharmacy, it was 80 cents/pill.  The doc who gave me my prescription asked that I use a Canadian source so as not to get iffy with the FDA.

Summer, wife to DH (07/99), SAHMama to DS (07/08) & DD (07/10).
#18 of 18 Old 12-29-2010, 06:10 AM

I got my scrip through an LC working with a midwife and get it compounded locally.  It cost me $80 for a 1 month supply.  I started taking it at 10 months pp when I had a drop in supply due to medical reasons and it worked beautifully, over night really.  A lot of my issue was hormonal, so I'll bet if your drop is due to the return of AF, you'll also see success.  It is hard to know for sure until you try it.  I believe you can just get Reglan from you regular doctor but it is less likely to work and more likely to make you suicidal.  Seriously!

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page