Exclusively Pumping & weaning off dom. How do I stop pumping? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 11-19-2010, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

As some already know, I have a low milk supply.

I'm skipping the history here, so please don't ask "Why?"...

I have been exclusively pumping now about 4 times a day and I've been weaning off domperidone (down to 60mg/day) for the past several weeks.  My DD will be 5 months and we thought this was the best time to stop pumping (5 or 6 months).  My question is... how do I do that?

I'm curious to know how much further my supply will dip once I'm completely off domperidone.  But, if it doesn't... I'm not even sure I know how to stop pumping and how to stop producing milk!  I am pumping every 6 hours; and as it is right now, my breast (one or the other) gets a bit 'sore' or something and pumping gets rid of that feeling...

Every now-and-then, my DD nurses... but it is quite rare.  She nurses at night only... only while DH warms the milk for her feeding.  And, sometimes during the day when she's well fed and just wants to nap.  (Okay, so that's not really exclusively pumping... but let's just say it is since I have to feed DD her full meal afterward anyway... and sometimes, she's at the breast for comfort and sometimes milk comes out... and sometimes it doesn't).  Overall, the pump does a whole lot better at getting my milk out than DD which is why I need help.  I can't just stop pumping and let DD nurse the milk out... it won't work.  My breasts will feel it... and require pumping... at least right now they do.

So, I'm not sure how to go about this!  How do I stop it all?

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-21-2010, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Shorten the length of time you are on the pump (If you normally pump for 30 min, pump for 20).  Also, start increasing the time between pumping.  I know some women who can do this fast, but it took me a couple of weeks to wean myself down

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page