Untreatable breastfeeding pain, but no plans to stop nursing--anyone else? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 101 Old 01-29-2011, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Blake - How is everything? Did you ever figure out what was going on?

Monica and Wholewheat - I hope your stay is short here, and your problems soon resolved!

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#62 of 101 Old 01-31-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Things are better now--back to the usual grimace level of pain, as opposed to the screaming crying level. I'm pretty sure it was a plugged duct, because it suddenly cleared up after I did all of the self-care suggested for plugged ducts. She has two teeth poking through now, but they're on the bottom so her tongue covers them while she nurses. When she tries to chew or take a nibble I've been pulling her in closer and opening her mouth wider.

I did have an embarrassing incident that wasn't related to my unresolved pain issues, but just to my ongoing oversupply--I forgot to wear nursing pads one morning, and by the time I got to work and took off my coat, my entire front was soaking wet with milk, through my bra, camisole, top and sweater... good thing I had a spare top in my desk. (and I had nursed the baby right before leaving for work, too!)

----
Sewing, knitting, breastfeeding, babywearing, cloth diapering + working mama to baby Zora (born 6/22/10)
#63 of 101 Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

How is everyone doing?

I just had another sad untreatable-breastfeeding-pain moment. I have a freezer full of milk due to my oversupply and I don't really have room/need for all of it (it's just our fridge freezer, and we need some room for food, too!). But I called a milk bank and they can't accept donations if a mom possibly has thrush, because they can't be sure their pasteurization process kills fungus/yeast. So I'm going to have to dump a significant amount of that liquid gold down the drain... SIGH.

----
Sewing, knitting, breastfeeding, babywearing, cloth diapering + working mama to baby Zora (born 6/22/10)
#64 of 101 Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 AM

It's been a while I came to this forum...partly due to my frustation of unable to find anyone who has gone through everything I have and still has pain! Finally looks like this the tribe:)

I have never ever known what painless BF is. It pained day and night, every time. I couldn't wear clothes at 6 weeks! I have also gone through all kinds of LC, doctors, chiropracters etc. No one could help. And I have seen the VERY best out there.

I resorted to exclusive pumping on and off and finally at 8 mo, I completely switched to EP. My pain level was so bad, I couldn't hold DS to my chest coz the pressure hurt! We started supplementing at 5 months and I am so heartbroken.

Today my DS is 10 months and I am technically no longer BFing. My (once abundant)supply couldn't last this ordeal. I can not tell you how terribly sad it is to have to stop BFing - the pain of knowing that my baby doesn't have my milk even before he is 1 yr, is now in hindsight, nothing compared to the physical pain :(

I wish I could take away your pain ladies, but if you have supply, please pump but don't give up!

On the bright side, this week, for the first time in 10 months, I could shower facing the water :D

Hugs to all of you,

-Amy

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#65 of 101 Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 PM

You can't "fix" a high palate. Dr. Jack Newman has some info on positioning and things like that which can help, but there's only so much you can do. My son had bubble palate, which is basically an extreme high palate. When he nursed, he basically forced my nipple up into his mouth at a 90 degree angle because of his tongue and palate issues. It just was what it was and there wasn't anything to be done to alter his anatomy, kwim? 

I hope things get easier!

#66 of 101 Old 02-07-2011, 10:13 PM

Blake, I still have a freezer full of milk that I can't give to DD or donate because of thrush contamination, and because some of it has probably gone bad. But some of that milk still has colostrum in it, colostrum that DD didn't get because she couldn't latch at the time. So sad. I'll bring myself to toss it eventually . . . .

Amy, did you ever figure out the reason for the pain? Infection? Latch? Just curious. And so sorry to hear that you've had to stop. You're a warrior though, for nursing your LO as long as you did.

We're being evaluated by Early Intervention services on Wednesday, to see if they think a speech path is needed  . . . . I'm not sure if I want them to tell me that nothing is wrong, or that something is and they can fix it, kwim?

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#67 of 101 Old 02-20-2011, 01:02 PM

Yeah; DD has the bubble palate.  We have had 3 sessions with a cranial sacral therapist now and that has helped a lot but not solved all the issues.  My nipples are still sore, smashed, and blistered, but I think I am just used to it because now it is mostly just uncomfortable, not terribly painful.  She is gaining weight quite well and my midwife wrote me a prescription for All Purpose Nipple Ointment that has helped, too.  DD seems to latch best when she is positioned vertically, so I think when she is big enough to straddle my leg or sit in my lap, I will be able to get her in a better position.  I have started semi-sitting her on the couch next to me while I slouch down and she leans over to me and that feels better. 

I am just glad that things have gotten "good enough" that I think I can make it to 1 yr, at least.  I was quite unsure of that for a while!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#68 of 101 Old 03-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Dragging this thread back up . . . .

Early Intervention came out to evaluate on Wednesday. Surprise, S has weak oral motor skills! Shocking revelation I know . . . . She is on target or ahead for all gross and fine motor skills, but has a two month delay in her oral skills. This is based on her feeding issues, coupled with the fact that she is not babbling much or making any consonant sounds yet. She also is displaying some tongue "fixing", which basically means she sticks out her tongue or presses it to the roof of her mouth when she's moving. It could be significant, but it could not. They're not recommending services at this time, but we'll follow up with the speech pathologist in three months. They didn't recommend or suggest I do anything, so basically no help whatsoever.

I'm not really sure what to do with this info. Honestly, I'm a bit freaked that this is the beginning of a bigger issue. And as far as painless bf'ing ever being a possibility, this is the end of the line. I wouldn't know who to go to at this point. So frustrating to feel like there's nowhere to turn.

How is everyone else doing? Someone inspire me please . . . .

#69 of 101 Old 03-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Aphel, I don't have anything inspiring, but I can so relate to your situation! How old is your babe now? Georgia is over 9mo, we're going to her 9mo wbv tomorrow and expecting a referral to early intervention. GG has her bad latch still (so so shallow with top lip curled under), still some minimal tongue thrust, not much interest in solids, serious gag reflex, no consonants whatsover... and she's got something funny going on- every time she smiles these days she's got her tongue flipped sideways in her mouth. What's that about? And when we feed her purees she pushes about half of each bite right back out the front, and doesn't know how to put her top lip around the spoon to help get the food off. 

AFM, nursing is still painful and for some reason every single time I let down it feels like red hot pokers in my nipples. I still feel like I am constantly bruised... I'm committed to keeping this up for a year and have no hopes for help. Our OT visit was kind of a waste of time. And like you, not sure what to do with the info, or even if we agree with it. But I guess I will continue to go where I am directed if there is some chance of less painful nursing coming out of it.

Did they give you exercises to do with your dd? Did they say anything about her latch?

#70 of 101 Old 03-07-2011, 10:54 AM

I think I need to join this club, unfortunately. I have an 11-week-old son with a high palate, and nursing continues to be quite painful. I only have one position I can nurse him in without awful abrasions and bruising, and I don't know what I am going to do when my little chunker outgrows the nursing pillow I use (it's a Honeysuckle, which is marvelous for a tiny newborn but not so great for a big honking boy!) To add insult to injury, I have had low supply from the outset (probably due partially to inefficient milk transfer and partially to mismanagement during the newborn stage). I am on domperidone and More Milk Special Blend, but my son still gets about 16 ounces of formula a day. I am happy that he is still getting some breastmilk, but I just wish so much that our nursing time were pleasant and peaceful, rather than tense and painful. I have given up hope that nursing will ever be pain-free, and I will be thrilled if we even make it to six months. I am committed to nursing as long as I can, but if my supply peters out when I return to work (this week! eek!), I have decided not to undertake any more heroic measures to save it. It makes me so sad that I don't love breastfeeding the way I anticipated. greensad.gif I just hope my son can't sense how unhappy I am...

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#71 of 101 Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still hanging in here at almost 9 months... still having vasospasms, and my nipples are still pretty sore all the time, but it's just become uncomfortably normal. What is really challenging lately is all her teething--the other night she bit me so hard (we were half asleep and nursing side-lying, I swear she fell asleep and thought she had a teething ring in her mouth?) I SCREAMED. There was a little blood and it hurt for a week. So now I'm temporarily avoiding falling asleep while nursing--once she stops actively sucking, I unlatch her before she can bite. OUCH.

----
#72 of 101 Old 03-14-2011, 01:05 PM

It looks like I'm joining this club. My baby is 10 weeks old and we've been having breastfeeding problems all along - low supply, poor latch, vasospasms, and, as it turns out, submucosal tongue tie. We finally got that diagnosed last week thanks to Catherine Watson-Genna and had an appointment today to discuss getting it snipped, but because he's as old as he is and very strong and active, they said it would have to be done under general anesthesia. I'm really not comfortable with that and I know there's no guarantee that it would make the pain go away, so we probably won't have it done and I'll just keep gritting my teeth and continue pumping and bottlefeeding when the pain gets too bad.

Anybody have tips for breastfeeding a baby with uncorrected tongue tie? We nurse in football or sidelying positions most of the time, as those seem to work the best.

#73 of 101 Old 03-14-2011, 04:28 PM

Hi everyone. Welcome to our new members, and I sincerely hope you find some resolution to your problems. Really. I love you ladies, but I want to not need this thread anymore.

kthyryne, can I ask what a submucosal TT is? Different than the standard variety? I sometimes wonder if my own LO has an anatomic abnormality that just hasn't been caught, because we haven't seen the right person.

Noraflood, I'm sorry you're having supply issues. Fortunately, that is one thing we never had to deal with. That and mastitis. Did I just jinx myself? Ah, well. Anyways, I understand not wanting to take any heroic measures to preserve supply, I don't know that I would in your situation either.

Blake, I cannot tell you how fearful I am of this little one growing teeth. I sometimes wonder if that will be the end of nursing for us, S's latch is so shallow there is just no way that I'm going to be able to avoid her teeth coming in contact with my nipple. How is your fungal infection? Any progress or improvement?

Buzzer, we weren't given any exercises to try, no advice, no nothing. Pretty frustrating. On a cheerier note, I saw the pics of your DD on the Life With a Babe thread. OHMYGOSH she is the cutest thing. No wonder you can't say no to nursing that little chunk, bad latch or no!

As for us, we were having some improvement in The Fungal Infection of Doom, but poor S has just come down with her very first UTI, poor little. As DH put it, "Her tiny pee is burning her tiny urethra, oh no!". We're happy we caught it and can treat it, as there is a family history of susceptibility to kidney infections, but the antibiotics prescribed are no doubt going to cause a resurgence of this evil candida monster. Sigh.

#74 of 101 Old 03-14-2011, 05:12 PM

http://www.cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html shows a bunch of different tongue ties, including submucosal - it's a posterior tie where the frenulum is behind the floor of the mouth. Catherine said it looks like his tongue mobility is impaired and advised having it snipped, but I'm really reluctant to put him under general anesthesia unless he starts having problems with weight gain - I'd rather go to exclusive pumping, honestly, if it comes to that.  I'm just mad because this could have been done easily when he was a newborn if anyone had listened to me when I insisted there was something wrong with his tongue.

I do have some hope that he may outgrow the worst of it - the pain has been very slowly getting better over time as he gets bigger. I also have a message in to our doctor asking for a prescription for nifidipine to treat the vasospasms. I figure if I can get that part of the pain under control, I'll have a little more tolerance for the pain from his bad latch.

#75 of 101 Old 03-15-2011, 01:42 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm happy to find this thread as I've been dealing with some painful nursing, too, although in comparison it's probably not as bad as what many of you are unfortunately suffering with.

I have been dealing with pink, irritated, painful nipples for a few weeks now. Actually, my left nipples has been painful since DD was born, and I attribute it to a bad latch in the first few days which resulted in an infection that was treated with Bactroban. Ever since, that breast has been problematic. At this point, both nipples are pink, dry, and sore. My left nipple is almost always spotted white when DD comes off it. Lanolin and Soothies gel pads help, but the irritation is always there.

Here's what I'm curious about - how did you all discover that you had an infection? I've wondered about thrush, even though DD has no signs of it, because I've been on several courses of antiobiotics due to a staph infection after my c-section. And the irritation is getting worse, despite my careful latching.

I'm not sure if I should bring it up to her pediatrician (who is very supportive of breast feeding) and ask her to do a culture of DD's mouth, see my own doctor, or visit a lactation consultant. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

stork-girl.gif She's here! She's here! She's here!
Baby Girl T - January 30, 2011
6lbs, 9oz   19inches
#76 of 101 Old 03-16-2011, 06:23 PM

Sounds like thrush to me - I would start doing what you can now and get in contact with your care provider soon. Once fungal infections take hold, they are extremely difficult to get rid of. It's not impossible (so I'm told!), but the sooner you get started, the better.

As far as culturing, I never had one done, but am looking into it, to rule out anything besides candida. But it's not necessary to be diagnosed, that's usually done based on symptoms. And don't be fooled by baby's lack of symptoms. In seven months, S hasn't had so much as one spot in her mouth. But I can most certainly assure you that we have thrush! The baby has to be treated as well, you may have to be somewhat insistent about this. Our ped didn't want to treat her in the beginning, and it probably contributed to the length off this infection.

If you're not comfortable with diflucan and nystatin, there are a number of homeopathic treatments that can help. I'm happy to share with you what we've done, but bedtime beckons and I think my LO is ready for sleepyland. In the meantime, check Dr. Jack Newman's website, he's got lots of great advice.

Hope you can lick this . .  . .

#77 of 101 Old 03-17-2011, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the info, aphel! That is so not what I wanted to hear! greensad.gif But I really appreciate the help. Guess I'm going to have to make an appointment at the doc's. Now I'm kicking myself because I was just there for my 6 week postpartum visit and didn't think to have her look at my nipples!

stork-girl.gif She's here! She's here! She's here!
Baby Girl T - January 30, 2011
6lbs, 9oz   19inches
#78 of 101 Old 06-02-2011, 01:24 PM

I know this is a little bit of an old thread but I wanted to see if anyone was still out there in pain?

I have a 4mo DS and am still having nipple pain, despite doing everything imaginable, including partaking in a nipple pain study.  The only thing I have left to try is seeing a neurologist on the recommendation of the OB that ran the pain study.  We are thinking that maybe I have nerve pain due to nipple trauma in the beginning and nerves that never had a chance to rest and heal.

I plan to nurse DS as long as he wants.  We do also have low supply so I nurse on demand and follow with donor breastmilk at each feeding (except at night sometimes).  What is going on currently is that DS is not sleeping well...I think it's due to the dreaded 4 month sleep regression, so DS wants to nurse all night long.  I wouldn't mind except that the pain is just enough to keep me awake!  Every now and then, I'll dose off, but mostly, I can't sleep while he's nursing.

I just thought that there were still a few others out there with unresolved pain based on some of the current threads.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#79 of 101 Old 06-03-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemasita View Post

I know this is a little bit of an old thread but I wanted to see if anyone was still out there in pain?

I have a 4mo DS and am still having nipple pain, despite doing everything imaginable, including partaking in a nipple pain study.  The only thing I have left to try is seeing a neurologist on the recommendation of the OB that ran the pain study.  We are thinking that maybe I have nerve pain due to nipple trauma in the beginning and nerves that never had a chance to rest and heal.

I plan to nurse DS as long as he wants.  We do also have low supply so I nurse on demand and follow with donor breastmilk at each feeding (except at night sometimes).  What is going on currently is that DS is not sleeping well...I think it's due to the dreaded 4 month sleep regression, so DS wants to nurse all night long.  I wouldn't mind except that the pain is just enough to keep me awake!  Every now and then, I'll dose off, but mostly, I can't sleep while he's nursing.

I just thought that there were still a few others out there with unresolved pain based on some of the current threads.

Good job hanging in there! For me, the pain lessoned around 6 months (with no explanation as to why - all I can think of is that his mouth grew?) I ended up nursing that baby through pregnancy (pain again lol) and then pain free after the pregnancy until around his 3rd birthday - it was lovely! Also, I had no pain nursing my second baby - maybe other than the first 2 weeks!

Good job, mama, and I hope it lets up for you!

#80 of 101 Old 06-03-2011, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been following this thread, but have never posted.  So I feel like I know all of you, but you don't know me. 

I had my first dd on 6/22/10, same as Blake :), and almost immediately had tons of engorgement issues, which turned into mastitis.  Took antibiotics.  To no avail.  Got it again, and again.  Turned into an abscess, and with insane dedication to herbal treatments and pumping, and massaging, hot pads, etc. I was able to get rid of the absess without having to get it lanced and drained.  Whew!  Finally, at 9 months, I fed her and realized it didn't hurt anymore.  My nipples took forever to heal.  I was terrified of teething, but it's been really merciful for me. 

We breastfeed normally now, I never thought it would happen.  I used to cry and cry for months on end every nursing that it would never be healed.  My dh was so supportive and helped me through it all.  I felt like I was being electrocuted right through my nipple and into my back, with a metal rod.  Every time she sucked.  It was really awful.  I used to cry so hard and say I love you, I love you, I love you, to try to make the myself deal with the pain.  My brother said it was the most disturbing thing to watch me try to feed a baby while screaming. 

I think she had a little mouth to begin with, when I got engorged, she was on the nipple only.  Then, the nipples were so torn up by the time the infections took hold that they took forever to heal.  Finally, I used Bone and Cartilege ointment from Dr. Christopher (in health food stores) and that healed it so fast + having it out in the sun. 

I want to be support for whoever is going through it right now.  It's such a challenge.  I think the emotional toll it took on me is still wreaking havoc on my brain.  I struggle with depression, meltdowns, etc and all kinds of things as a result of the breastfeeding issues.  Anyone else go through this?  I'm trying to retrain myself to be happy.  It's getting better each day.

I love you all!

"When one who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest!"
#81 of 101 Old 06-03-2011, 01:19 PM

I am seeing a doctor Monday for depression.  I think all of this is finally taking its toll on me too.  We have a lot of financial stress right now.  I tried to keep another baby in my home but I just couldn't handle it.  There's not much I can do, work-wise, without being able to pump.  I have the same excruciating pain while pumping so it's not just DS's latch.  I really think my nipples are traumatized and damaged.  I still can't take a shower without pain, or towel off without pain.

hiking - I'm sorry for all the pain you went through.  But thank you for sharing your story.  That is really something else that you were able to stick with it.  My DH has been super supportive too.  I am hoping that I don't get bit in the future!  I might just die.

4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#82 of 101 Old 06-04-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemasita View Post

I am seeing a doctor Monday for depression.  I think all of this is finally taking its toll on me too.  We have a lot of financial stress right now.  I tried to keep another baby in my home but I just couldn't handle it.  There's not much I can do, work-wise, without being able to pump.  I have the same excruciating pain while pumping so it's not just DS's latch.  I really think my nipples are traumatized and damaged.  I still can't take a shower without pain, or towel off without pain.

hiking - I'm sorry for all the pain you went through.  But thank you for sharing your story.  That is really something else that you were able to stick with it.  My DH has been super supportive too.  I am hoping that I don't get bit in the future!  I might just die.

I remember the first time I could face the shower again.  What a joy!  My nipples were so traumatized.  I seriously recommend a bone/muscle/cartilege ointment.  It started working for me immediately and the baby can get it in his/her mouth when they feed because it's just herbs.  My right nipple was swollen for so long and is still more sensitive than the left, but it's way better and healed. 

I hated thinking about teething.  It was so hard.  I just finally had to stay in the moment and not worry about the future.  It was just too much to handle.   I'll be sending positive vibes your way.  It is a hard place to be in.  The one thing I never imagined that came along with a baby was the nursing troubles. 

"When one who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest!"
#83 of 101 Old 06-05-2011, 07:18 AM

So that ointment really worked?  I do think I'm having nerve pain in my nipples.  Because the pump feels the same as nursing.

#84 of 101 Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Yeah, it worked like magic.  I applied it after nursing every time and sometimes in between nursings when sensitive.  The ointment plus some sun exposure everyday sped the healing like crazy.  It was http://www.drchristophers.com/ointments/complete-tissue-bone-2-ointment.php  exactly.  I tried a lot and this was the only one that worked.  There's a scary FDA mandatory warning, but comfrey is really safe in my opinion and my baby had no issues whatsoever from getting a bit in her mouth.  You can wipe it off if worried, I guess. 

#85 of 101 Old 06-10-2011, 06:45 PM

Welcome new moms, and sorry you've found yourself in this position.

Gemasita, I think it's really interesting, the idea of long term nerve damage, it certainly would explain your pain during pumping. And I am so, so, so, sorry that you feel all of this has brought you to the brink of depression. But I so, so, so get it. I think I nearly broke from the frustration of it all, especially in the beginning. Let us know how if you end up seeing the neuro, and check back in otherwise as well.

Hikingfortruth, I'm glad you've found some relief! I also have one nipple that is more problematic than the other. Unfortunately, that side is the side that DD prefers, and it produces the most milk . . . . go figure.

An update on me - I had stayed away from this thread for a while because I really believed that out troubles were coming to an end. S's mouth has continued to get bigger, and had made such a huge difference in her latch. HUGE difference. And I finally was able to beat the thrush. But then it came back. And we beat it again. And now its BACK. There is some sort of repository of evil-never-will-die candida spores in this house, that lie in wait for me, ready to jump out and land straight on my nipples the moment that I'm finally starting to feel like things are turning around.

Anyone else still reading this? I'd love to hear how everyone is doing.

#86 of 101 Old 06-11-2011, 04:55 PM

aphel- One of my friends struggles with thrush just like you.  She's always experiencing flare ups and nothing has really worked to cure it yet.  I'm so sorry that you have to experience that.  May good vibes rest on your nipples now and forever!

#87 of 101 Old 06-11-2011, 10:23 PM

I had amazingly strong needle like pain  at letdown every time I nurse with my first child. Vasospasm

I have Raynaud's Syndrome it is usually in my hands but it was explained to me that this can manifest in nipples as well.

I did what I do for my hands. I kept my breast warm by keeping room temp warm when I nursed/  It got a bit less severs.  It was almost zero with my second son.

Here:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipple-blanching.html

#88 of 101 Old 06-16-2011, 01:33 PM

Well, I went to the neurologist yesterday.  It was SO worth the trip, even though I was there for four hours.  That doctor was wonderful...and very smart.  She first pricked all around my breasts to find where the line of delineation with the sensitivity was.  I guess that told her what nerves were involved.  And then something about the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems...I didn't catch all of that.  She said it was definitely nerve pain.  She even had an explanation for why I get shooting pains when I take a deep breath and had me hold my breath and get this, my pain lessened.  She also put lidocaine on my nipples to show me that the nerves involved were deeper than skin level.  When she put the lidocaine on, I had NO change in my pain level.

So she said it was like my nipples were having a migraine headache, which I guess is vasodilation.  She said there's not any research on this and she's just starting to try and understand it (she took pictures and was going to write it up for a journal).  She prescribed me propanolol, a beta blocker, and Cymbalta, because I guess it works on the part of the brain that involves these nerves.  She said to give it 3 weeks or so and if this doesn't work, she will know what to try next.  She said she is not going to let me continue to be in pain.  I have hope for the first time since DS was born.  I hope I get relief soon!

#89 of 101 Old 06-16-2011, 03:43 PM

Woot Gemasita!

I'm so happy for you! Keep us updated, I want to know how this turns out for you!

(So many exclamation points, but so called for!)

#90 of 101 Old 06-16-2011, 03:56 PM

((HUGS)) to all the mamas dealing with nursing pain.  My first was born in 2006 and we had serious issues from the beginning - bad latch, poor suck and after a few days excruciating pain for me every time DD latched on.  I was eventually diagnosed with Raynauds and started medication which helped the pain to some degree.  THings started getting better around 4 months but the pain never went away entirely.  It was tough and definitely caused bonding issues.  I stuck it out for two years, but was honestly relieved when it was all over with.  My second was born a little over a year after I weaned my first and that breastfeeding relationship has been absolutely amazing!  We had a good latch from the beginning and never any pain.  That year break from nursing was enough time to heal the nerve damage that had been done.  Just wanted to post to let everyone know that it won't always be this bad and that successive nursing relationships won't necessarily have that same level of pain involved.

((HUGS)) to all and good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page