Tongue & Lip Tie- needing good vibes! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are getting our 5 mo son's upper lip and tongue tie clipped today.  I am thrilled we may have found the issue we've been having with bf'ing but am just a little nervous and WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU that have had this done or known someone that has that it's helped and is worth it. 

He has a high arched palate, both ties and after much research I don't feel comfortable leaving it alone.  Praying this helps nursing and dissolves any possible future problems that it may have caused if left alone. 

Thank you for posting your words (in advance :))

#2 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 AM

I read your other thread and just wanted to offer support. The frenectomy was quick and easy. The palate is still our main problem, and is basically non-treatable, but at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now that we've made it over a year. lol

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#3 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

So you did the frenectomy and did his palate ever widen?  How old was he when you did it?  I've read that cranio sacral can really help open the palate.  What kind of problems are you having with the palate?  Thank you for your words and offering your experience...it helps to know.

#4 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 04:57 PM

DS was 6 wks when we had his frenectomy with an ENT. I consulted a pediatric dentist re the lip tie, but he didn't seem to think it was severe enough to warrant anesthesia to do the procedure, but we decided that if he has to have any dental work in the future requiring it, we'll do it then because I can already see it's going to cause a huge gap in between his front teeth.

His palate has widened slightly, but not too much. I've been told the longer I breastfeed the more it will come down on it's own, but my goal is only 18 months, since my patience for the discomfort I'm exeriencing while nursing is running low. I just can't take it much longer! It's torture at times! He is still on the end, nursing on the nipple only,and totally refusing to take much, if any, areola into his mouth. <sigh> I am currently looking into cranio sacral therapy as an alternative. 

Coincidently, I was TT (my mom gave up BFing early on) and had/have a high arched, narrow palate. I had to have a palatal expander when I had braces (also had the big gap) as a teenager, so I imagine that'll probably be the case for him too. He's so much alike me, it's scary! 

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#5 of 6 Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing!  We did both yesterday and are so relieved it is over.  I am so glad we did the lip because it seems now after it's been done that it was actually tighter than the tongue.  Luckily, one of our midwives does CST so she has set up two appts every week for the next few weeks to work on him and hopefully help with his palate.  At least we know that you had the palate expander and it did the trick if our preventative measures don't do enough.  My dad, father to 5 and grandpa to 10, told me after my first cry as a new mom that all you can do is make the best decision you can at the time and not beat yourself up for it.  He said if he had a bruise for every thing he would do different looking back he'd be black and blue and that's no way to live so he lives on the fact that he loved us all and wanted what was best for us with every decision he made.  I like that. 

I too have heard that the longer you nurse the better, but again, easier said than done when it's rough going.  Good luck.  May the palate widening vibes be with us and our little ones! 

#6 of 6 Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 PM

I came on here to post about the procedure for tongue tied babies and to ask for opinions if its safe & worth it but I see that you've posted about it and others have shared their experience.

My pediatrics said it seems like Gabby is tongue tied but wanted me to make an appt with ENT to confirm it and possibly doing the clip procedure.

At this point, I'm really nervous but I really want us (Gabby and I) to have successful breastfeeding experience and if its a safe procedure then I'll go for it.  If its an unnecessary procedure like circumcision, then I won't.

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page