Breast aches and is warmer to the touch - plugged duct? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am nursing my 13 mo old, about 6 full feedings a day, every 3 hours or so.  Today the top half of one breast hurts, like an ache, and is warmer to the touch than the rest of my skin.  I can't feel any lumps on palpation.  Does this sound like a plugged duct?  The only one I've had before was an obvious lump before the pain started and a much smaller area was hurting.

TIA!

ps. Could it already be infected even tho symptoms only started today?

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping...

anyone?   I'm wondering if I should worry about this, or do anything specific to try to treat...

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

#3 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 05:53 PM

THe only time I had this happen to me it ended up being mastitis.  Plugged ducts always have a hard spot IME.

I would up the Vit-C and make sure you get enough sleep if you can.  The latter is huge for me...I staved off a nasty infection the second time because I demanded my partner let me sleep.

If it is mastitis most medical folks will prescribe antibiotics over the phone.

#4 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 05:54 PM

Sounds like a plugged duct to me.  I have had many many plugged ducts that did NOT get hot, but a few that did, that never turned into anything I required professional treatment for.  Massage, comb (with a thick toothed comb), apply ice for pain relief (and take ibuprofen if you want). massage and comb in warm shower, try warm compresses, drink plenty, and relax if you can.   Consult kellymom.com for more tips.  

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#5 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your replies.  Sounds like it could be either mastitis or plugged duct.  Hoping no AB required!  Will tell DH to help out more tonight over night!  ;-) 

#6 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 PM

Treat yourself like you are coming down with a cold - extra fluids, extra rest, hot showers or compresses on the affected area and NURSE on that side as often as you can.  Both mastitis and plugged ducts can occur when we are run down ...and it 'tis the season - to be worn out and run down!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#7 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 07:08 PM

If you can, get yourself some lecithin. I've had quite a few clogged ducts(not fun) and lots of lecithin, rest, and hot compresses always did the trick. 

good luck.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page