slow let down, but still forceful, tongue tie, the works. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas, 

What could be happening here? 

DD is 5 mths, has a tongue tie that just got clipped (as in a week ago). At first our insurance wouldn't cover it.

We HAVE to supplement because I cannot get my supply up. Somedays I will have her at my breast for an hour or so just playing and my supply still hasn't gotten better. She isn't latching very well either. Since the clipping it has almost been worse. 

Anyways I have noticed that it will take her a long time to get milk out. This is new (only weeks), it used to be suck suck splash.

Now, she has to suck for sometimes minutes, and she gets very frustrated. Then, when my milk finally does come down she is gasping and it appears forceful.

Gosh, I am so frustrated with breastfeeding. Why don't I have enough milk??? Why isn't this working out???

I feel so depressed about it, because I feel like my one job as a mom to nourish my baby is all messed up.

I can't stand giving her cow's milk,(especially when on the side of the formula tin it say's breast is best...ouch)

She is underweight, sleepy, grumpy,  and I have to do something. 

Any tips?

Learning to be a one income family. Learning to be a mama. Living with lots of heartbeat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-06-2011, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is she receiving any chiropractic or craniosacral work? Or physical therapy of any kind, to help her integrate the clipping? She's been nursing ineffectively for 5 months - that's a LOT of muscle memory of dysfunctional habits to change! My number one recommendation would be bodywork.

Also, how are you supplementing? With a bottle? If so, is it paced feeding? And would you consider using a supplementer at the breast?

Actually, my first question would be whether you're working with a good LC; if so, I'd be interested in what she's advising, especially re: your supply. Are you pumping at all right now? Are you taking any galactagogues?

I think tongue tie CAN be overcome even this far along, but I strongly feel that baby is going to need some help overcoming the bad habits that have been in place for so long. I know there are stories of terrible latching and pain and so forth due to tongue tie, fixed immediately with a clipping, and it's not that they're not true - but those are younger babies who've only been nursing inefficiently for a few days or weeks. I hope that makes sense!

My own daughter took 5 months to get on the breast, so I know there's hope!

User Tag List