Painful nodule in breast 2 months after weaning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-18-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this. My left breast has been really tender and painful to touch for the past 2 weeks. At first I dismissed it as something related to pregnancy, but later discovered a small, hard lump right behind the nipple. My breast is not red or inflamed or anything. There are tiny white dots in the nipple itself, but that is about it. Could it be a blocked milk duct even though my son weaned over two months ago? (It was a very gradual weaning process, btw.) Thanks.

joy.gif
"Paradise lies at the feet of mothers"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-21-2011, 01:43 PM

Sounds like a logical guess.   How far along are you?  You're probably producing colostrum and if you have blocked pores in your nipple, I would guess the colostrum could cause a plugged duct.  Can you soak in a warm bath, then gently try to clean the nipple pores?  I've also heard of moms soaking a cotton ball in olive oil, then tucking it into your bra, to loosen secretions from the nipple.  Then try some massage and hand expression towards the nipple.  You could also try cabbage leaves tucked into your bra to decrease inflammation.

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#3 of 4 Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

smile.gif Thanks, CheriK, I appreciate the reply and advice. I'll do the things you mentioned and see what happens. 

joy.gif
"Paradise lies at the feet of mothers"
#4 of 4 Old 02-05-2011, 01:20 PM

Hopefully this is resolved already by the thoughts above. If you're unable to express w/the above trials and still hurting, a general practitioner can do a fine needle aspiration (in office) to determine the cause in many cases. Galactocele?  Best of luck!

Supporting natural birth and breastfeeding in the Piney Woods~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page