Re-lactating - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, everyone!  I guess I am just in need of some encouragement from BTDT moms.  Long story short, I believe in BF (did it with my 1st two and loved every second) and was excited to get to BF #3 (4 mo old tomorrow!).  Due to GI issues, we have gone back and forth btw BF and various formulas, and when I finally felt that I had to give up BF, stopped pumping.  Murphy's Law (though in a good way this time!) - the GI told us last week we could return to whatever food source we wanted, woo hoo!  

It was 3.5 weeks since I had BF and so I am trying to relactate.  I am using a hospital pump (6 or more pumps a day, 15-20 min each along with massage), tincture and capsules of lactate support herbs, offering breast to baby as often as possible, etc.

So I guess my questions are these:

-has anyone else successfully relactated?

-how long did it take you to relactate?

-is it realistic to hope I can EBF again?  (Day 1 of pumping I got 3mL and have been doubling each day)

-any tips you have to offer?

Thank you so much!!

#2 of 6 Old 01-28-2011, 07:08 AM

I don't have personal experience but I wanted to offer encouragement.  Sounds like you are doing all you can and it's encouraging that your baby is willing to take the breast after a break.

Have you investigated a supplementary nursing system (SNS)?

#3 of 6 Old 01-28-2011, 09:33 AM

Hi!  I have not breastfed since my son was 2 weeks old and I am just now trying to relactate for him and he is 7 months now.  You are pretty much doing exactly what you are supposed to do and honestly, since you haven't had that long of a break from breastfeeding, I think it will work very well for you.  Have you been able to pump any milk at all?

Angela married to the love of my life Mommy to Summer Hailey and Evan
#4 of 6 Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the replies!  I am looking into a Medela SNS...and yes, I love that he enjoys being at the breast; it is honestly the only thing keeping me going during the "dry" times, lol!

Angela, yes, I am pumping milk, woo hoo!  My 1st day of pumping I got 3mL, then kept doubling.  We are now 2 weeks, 1 day into it and so far (1pm here) I have pumped 3.25 oz...most of that was the first pump of the morning.  I have been getting through a flu or nasty bug but in a day or two I will be pumping in the middle of the night (a mama on another board told me that between 1-5am our prolactin levels are at their highest (the hormone that makes us produce milk).  I barely pumped yesterday with being so sick...my dr has also prescribed Reglan for me (I am unable to take domperidone).  Not sure if I will take the Reglan - makes me a little nervous, to tell you the truth!

#5 of 6 Old 01-29-2011, 12:52 PM

Just dropping in to lend my virtual support. I'm cheering for you!

Is your baby latching well? Latching while sleepy and treating any latch issues like a nursing strike may help.

Good luck! 

#6 of 6 Old 01-29-2011, 07:47 PM

I re-lactated for DD. It is hard work! Good on you for making the commitment. Because it has only been a few week without nursing you will most likely be able to get back a full or close to full supply. The fact you are getting 3 + oz already is great news!

I stopped BF at about 4 months until about 6 months. It took me a month or so before I was able to get anything more than dribbles from the pump. I never got back a full supply but it was enough for us. I put the pump away 3 or 4 months into the journey. DD would nurse for comfort and get a few oz (I'm guessing) of milk while she was at it. I never took dom or anything, just herbs, herbs and more herbs. I'd offer the breast to DD first then when she got sick of it I'd pump. 

Good luck and happy pumping!

Homebirthing Mama to busy DD (2008), cuddly DS (2010) and midwife to be

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page