HELP, I think I have mastitis..... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-26-2011, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS2 is almost 13mths and I think I have somehow managed to develop mastitis. I don't really want to go on antibiotics but am not really sure how to treat it. I have been taking vit c, echinacea & lecithin today but am now out of ideas. DH has been off work with knee surgery for 10 days so I have been single  parenting pretty much and as both boys have had killer colds have not had much rest. DH has taken the boys this afternoon and I have been snoozing. I still have a gigh temp but at least now I feel hot with it rather than freezing. Any suggestions would be v welcome but I don't really want to spend a lot of money if possible

TIA

#2 of 5 Old 03-26-2011, 06:29 PM

Mastitis can be a bacterial infection.  It really does need antibiotics -- you don't want to develop an abcess.  If you can feel a plug, try to massage that area (try in the bath or a warm shower to make it easier) -- if it's not full-blown yet, that could help.  But if you have flu-like symptoms, you need to call your HCP.  Abcesses often need to be surgically drained, so you don't want to go down that road if you can avoid it.

#3 of 5 Old 03-26-2011, 06:36 PM

no advice for alternative ideas, but I just had the start of mastitis a week or so ago. Ds is 1 year old, and I have previously nursed 2 babies, for an extended period, and never had it.

I did have an absess when I was pg with dd2, and had to have it drained, it was not fun, but not horrific either, but was also not mastitis.

I have heard that you need abx in order to clear it up unfortuntely.

Good luck.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#4 of 5 Old 03-26-2011, 06:36 PM

I agree with PP - rather catch it now with an antibiotic rather than let it progress to the point of abscess.  Warm compresses can help, massages can help - rest, vit C , echinacea, chicken soup  can all help.  and remember - above all to keep nursing on that side.  If you have a temp, i would call HCP for prescription.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#5 of 5 Old 03-26-2011, 09:42 PM

Excellent information from Kelly Bonyata here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

But in short, if symptoms have not improved in 12-24 hours, then antiobiotics may well be necessary to shift it as PPs have said.  Treatment is necessary to avoid an abscess.

Hope you feel better soon!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page