I had no idea... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 31 Old 04-10-2011, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been following your story and I want to share ours in case it helps.
It took 4 weeks for my DD to gain back her birth weight and she had gone down to 5 1/2 pounds from 6 pounds 1 oz so the low weight was scary.
I am SO grateful because I have a very BF friendly ped who did nothing but encourage us. We did go in for weight checks every few days and he suggested pumping in between feeds. Then nursing first and DH giving her the pumped milk after while I pumped again. She was a very sleepy, slow sucker and it would take 40 min for her to be done with both sides!
He told me it would get better after the 7 pound mark and it did.

It was very hard and painful to get her to latch for quite a long time, especially on the left side. After she got up to 7-8 pounds, I decided to get rid of the bottles completely because she was latching less easily and drinking the bottles faster. So, I stopped them and then it took about 2 days of a lot of crying to get through it. She would cry until she finally got latched properly, then nursed much better and was happy. But each feed was like that and on the left side it hurt so bad I was clenching my toes the whole time trying not to yell! DH wasn't too much help because he thought I just should just stop and give her formula because he didn't like to see the pain and didn't think it was worth it for me to go through that.
It worked, though and those two days were more than worth it! I nursed her for 4 years (yeah, I guess once she got it she never wanted to stop, lol. It was DD2 coming along that finally did! )

Its really great that you have Dr. Newman available, he did help me a lot emailing because our LC was not good!

Take care, I hope things get better soon!

ETA oh yeah, oatmeal definitely helps! If I am not paying attention even now and don't drink enough, it seems to have an immediate effect on my supply and I eat oatmeal for a couple days. It has to be the regular oats, not quick oats for us.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page