What can I do next to help my chid?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my son is 8 months old. At 2 months he broke out in crazy eczema so bad that it weeped, and bled and he was constantly crying, stopped sleeping through the night, and scratched himself to bleeding. We took him to doctor after doctor tehy said he had allergy related eczema and that I needed to stop breastfeeding and priscibed me steroids that didnt work at all, when I told them the steroids didnt work they said they could raise them higher and higher until they did. They just wanted me to keep upping steroids, and to put ds on formula but not get to the root of the problem . So not wanting to put that stuff on my baby 3-5 times a day for the first year of my child's life I talked to other bfing moms. They mentioned trying an Elimination diet. I did. Doctors had him take a blood test and they told me what Ds was allergic to. I eliminated all that and ds is doing better like he went from being horrible uncomfortable at like a level ten to a level 8 of uncomfortable so not as, fussy, and itchy, to being a little less but still having lots of issues. So then I took him to the chiropractor and after the chiropractor got ds even more comfortable to like a level five which to a normal person is still horrible but after everything I had been through we are very happy he at least sleeps now. Now he sleeps through the night but still has to wear socks all the time because if he does not he will scratch til hes covered in blood. So my question is does anyone know what else I can do besides the chiropractor and ED? The doctor just wants me to put him on formula which I have tried but he just gets worst, or cover him from head to toe in steroids. If I stop the chiropractor then he goes back to not sleeping and being extremely itchy now hes just kinda itchy, and sleeps at night and naps before the chiropractor he was really itchy, and before the Elimination diet he was miserable and just scratched and scratched all day and night long. I am thinking about trying probiotics as my next thing to try but was just wondering what else was out there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 12:25 AM

Did anything else change at 2 months?  Did the eczema start after his 2 month shots?

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 04-07-2011, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

no hes never had any shots and nothing changed we besides the fact that his skin got worst and worst and nothing helped it. =(

Old 04-07-2011, 08:04 AM

I would post this in the allergy forum.  The women over there are very knowledgeable and would have more suggestions.  Good luck!

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 AM

How long did you try the elimination diet?  Did you cut out all potential allergens at the ingredient level, as in "hidden" sources like casein and whey?  It takes 2-3 weeks for dairy proteins to leave your system, and potentially another 2-3 weeks to leave baby's system, so if the sensitivity is severe, it could be several weeks after eliminating all allergen proteins to see relief (and from what I understand, it often gets better before it gets worse during the elimination process).

I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for you!  Hang in there!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 AM

I went through this with my first son and am also hoping it doesn't happen to this one. Question do you by chance have a cat? My sons ended up being caused from us having the cat. He is now 3 and does not have any problems other then some dry skin in the winter. I also was perscribed the steriod creams to try which I did not like but I felt it was better then his itching. I have tried every product on the market over the counter. I found the most helpful to be Johnson's Anti Itch lotion. Also aveno oatmeal bath soap and lotions helped. I kept him lotioned at least 3 times a day. I would use the steroid cream when he broke out and after it would die down I used to lotion as much as possible through out the day. I would try that. I tried eliminating things from his diet we found berry things made it flare up worse. Just stick with it they say babies born into the winter months get it quite often but grow out of it. He should get better as the weather turns more humid. It is so hard as a mother because you have no clue what to do to help. There are alot of good articles online about ezema and natural homeopathic ways to treat it. Hopefully some of this was helpful to you.

Mommabfinfant.gif of DS1 (9/07)jammin.gif and DS2 (4/11)babyboy.gif and blessed with my wonderful DH of 6yrssuperhero.gif     
Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

i started the elimination diet in November. I eliminated everything they told me he had any kind of reaction to. The ED didnt do much to help him in the first place. It just helped a little but I eliminated everything they told me to and more. I dont have a cat. I to have tried ever cream, oil, ,ointment, elimination diet, chriporacter, and everything else. Its gotten alot better but hes still very itchy. I cant try oatmeal hes allergic to oats and all gluten.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Where is the allergy form?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin2bmom2000 View Post

Where is the allergy form?

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/list/307

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

thanks!

User Tag List