13 days old, no poop for 24 hours - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am starting to worry about this - my son is 2 weeks old tomorrow, he hasn't pooped now for almost 24 hours. Before that he was pooping and peeing fine, and is still peeing lots.  I've been to the lactation consultant twice since he was born for latch problems and both times I was told he's gaining really nicely and eating plenty.

At what point should I freak out?  And who do I call? My pediatrician, the LC (who will probably charge me for a visit) or my midwife?  

Any advice or anecdotes?

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#2 of 11 Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I'd call the pediatrician in the morning, you can ask when you call if this is something that needs an appointment.  Hopefully someone has some anecdotes to share.  Have the wet diapers changed at all, or are they still copious?

#3 of 11 Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

He finally pooped during the night, a regular one and a massive one.  Still lots of peeing.  I'm off to the lactation consultant soon to see what she says.

#4 of 11 Old 04-08-2011, 01:59 PM

This is a great resource about newborn poops: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvdec97jan98p123.html

If you read through it is gives some causes for low poop output, and some remedies.

Congrats on your little one!

love.gif

#5 of 11 Old 04-09-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, I have read that, but he's growing nicely it seems (next weigh-in on Tues), alert when awake, waking for feeds, producing plenty of pee, active stomach noises.  I'm not sure what else a pediatrician is going to suggest other than feeding him artificially, which I don't want to do.

He's not pooed now since yesterday morning, so over 30 hours.bawling.gif

#6 of 11 Old 04-09-2011, 08:24 AM

Well, if you don't have over supply, and baby is growing well, then an appt with an MD or midwife will just tell you that baby is healthy. If there are no other red flags I can't imagine why anyone would recommend feeding formula or even supplementing with your milk.

no poop is a red flag to be investigated - to make sure that baby healthy, is transferring milk well and not getting too much fore-milk. if everything checks out then it's probably just your babe's version of normal smile.gif

#7 of 11 Old 04-09-2011, 09:48 AM

If it makes you feel any better, my daughter was a once or twice a week pooper for much of her early infancy.  She sometimes smelled stinky (like nasty cabbage farts) but was in no distress, nursed like a champ and was growing fabulously.  Apparently it is not unusual for newborns to wait a while between poops.  It freaked me out, as my son had been much more typical. We got used to it, though, and she grew out of it.

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#8 of 11 Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 AM

Oh look...that was my 1,000th post!  About poop....very indicative of the world of motherhood, no?

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#9 of 11 Old 04-09-2011, 10:14 PM

i wouldn't stress if he is happy and not seeming consapaited or in pain. my son was a no pooper he would go a week and then have a day of massive pooping.

my doc told me my milk was perfect for him and formula fed babies poop more casue there is extra stuff in them that the body doesn't process.

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#10 of 11 Old 04-11-2011, 06:12 AM

It is very common for breastfed babies to go a long time between poops, but usually that pattern doesn't start until the third month. In a newborn, it's concerning, but not alarming. The main worry with no-poop at this age is that the poops are the main way you have of knowing that baby is getting enough milk. My DD1 was an infrequent pooper, right from her first week, and it worried us, but what we noticed was that she was also putting on weight at an amazing rate-- she went from 7 1/2 pounds at birth, to 12 pounds at two months old. So we stopped worrying. If I were you, I'd be keeping a close eye on weight gain, and otherwise not worrying a bit. If the weight gain slows down too much, then it's time to think about ways to increase the amount of milk baby is getting.

Another comforting sign is if, when the poo DOES come, it's ample, and soft, and the color is somewhere between yellow, yellow-ish brown, or yellow-ish orange, with no more than a tint of green. That would be very reassuring.

Another reassuring sign is alertness-- a newborn that's not getting enough milk will often become extremely sleepy. Baby would sleep for very long periods, and have trouble staying awake long enough to finish a feed. If baby is feeding fewer than 10 times in 24 hours, I'd be concerned.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#11 of 11 Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 PM

My DDis a very infrequent pooper. She had 3 meliconum (sp?) Stools after birth, then nothing but farts for the next 12 days. Urgent care twice, ped twice, bottles of apple juice + water -- all for just a little worry. This is my daughter's normal. She was a once a week pooper until 6 weeks when she had a few frequent nursing days and started pooping the "nornmal" three times a day. After a week of this, she is now back to 7-9 days. She is 12 weeks old now.

I don't regret taking her to get checked out, but I would have saved myself lots of anxiety. Since DD was a new newborn it was appropriate to check her anatomy, intake, weight gain etc... but bottom line - if your baby is comfortable, nursing, gaining, and pooping without effort then nothing to worry about. Don't feel bad about going to the doc - that is what they are there for - but beware of any supposed solution that includes "just a little formula".

Good luck! Trust yourself that you would know if your baby was experiencing distress!

Christine - nak

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page