Seeking problem-solvers: I am at a dead end with BF pain and need your help! What should I do next? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2011, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can't wait to hear more.  I started niphedimine (sp?) for vasospasms a few days ago.  Waiting for improvement.  Went without the nipple shield all day yesterday and DS did fine but the feedings were pretty painful to me.  I can't wait to be out of pain but still wondering if the day will EVER come?!?!?!

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
cww

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Another update:  So it's been about 2.5 weeks since the tongue and lip tie were snipped.  Things are much better, but BF still hurts. 

The good:  She's still eating quickly, averaging at about 20 minutes, and you can actually hear the milk going down in big gulps at the beginning of a feeding.  She has gained a whole pound since the tongue tie was corrected.  As I mentioned in the previous post, we've been feeding without the nipple shield, and the pain is much better, but it's still not great. 

The bad:  My nipples are now coming out deformed and flattened, either looking like a lipstick (which we had before the tie was clipped) or looking pinched like a wedge with a white line across it.  We are still getting the vasospasms despite a month of taking nifedipine (although I think the frequency between feedings went away with the medication - unfortunately, it also gave me bad headaches).  It definitely hurts much more when she latches on and then tends to get better shortly into the feed, but it still hurts most of the time when she sucks.  I saw an LC about 1.5 weeks ago, and she worked on positions, but if that helped it was more marginal.  The LC said that she was showing a lot of teething signs (trying to stuff her whole fist into her mouth and crying for a short burst out of nowhere when not hungry) and that that could mean that she is clamping down when she eats, but she shows no signs of teeth anytime soon (and BF has been hard enough without teeth!), so I'm not sure that that is it.  The LC mentioned the possibility of using a Haberman bottle (now Medela special needs?) to try to train her to use better tongue action (but then took this back when she saw the teething signs) - has anyone heard of this?

I'll probably post a fresh post about persistent BF pain after tongue-tie release to see if there is anyone out there with more specific advice, but I just wanted to update here.  The news overall is good, but it still needs improvement. 

Gemasita, I hope that the nifedipine helped with your pain - I hope to hear an update some day.  For me, it helped with the pain between feedings but didn't help with the pain during feedings - I took it for a month, and then have been off it about a week, and haven't noticed anything getting worse since phasing it out.  I hope you've found some things that helped with improvement for you, too. 

DD born at 40w2d on 1/19/2011
DD born at 40w1d on 3/1/2014

User Tag List