Nursing strike-10 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-18-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 10 month old has refused to nurse for 2 days now. I think she objects to the taste of antibiotics in my milk. I've had a killer sinus infection for a while now and when I noticed blood in the mucus (sorry tmi) I decided it was time to get the meds. But a few hours later DD was refusing to nurse. Do you think I will be able to get her back on the breast after I'm done the antibiotics? I got the okay from my doctor to stop taking them early, 24 hours after symptoms dissappear (as opposed to 10 full days). But for now I've been pumping with my manual pump (and I don't always letdown for it) and giving her milk from the freezer. I have enough for maybe 3 more days. She will drink the expressed antibiotic milk too, but she doesn't drink much of it and makes 'yuck' face while drinking it. She won't latch at all.

I am so not ready to be done nursing and I don't think she is either! Until 2 days ago she was nursing 6 or 7 times a day, eating a small amount of solids 3 times a day. She doesn't nurse at night or nurse to sleep.

any advice would be great, I've been just beside myself.  My son nursed for 19 months without any incidents!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-18-2011, 04:21 PM

I got my son back on after a 30 day nursing strike. He was only four months old, but I think your daughter will go back on after your milk tastes better to her. For me, the key was not getting my son stressed out about it. I was so desperate at first that I'd try to to make him take it and he got more and more determined not to. I finally made myself relax and play with him with my nipple- touch his lips and pull away, sing a little song, tickle him with it until he felt better about it and would put it in his mouth. I'd also only do it when he was in a good mood, not starving hungry. I would say finish your antibiotics and then lure her back on. Kellymom says that most babies will go back after a strike, as long as the moms keep trying- the key is keeping your supply up while they're not nursing, so it's ready when they are. Can you use an electric pump for a bit?

#3 of 4 Old 04-19-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

thanks. It seems the more I offer the more upset she gets so I think I'm going to try and be more relaxed about it and just be present (and topless!) as much as possible. I'm renting a breastpump. If DD won't latch back on at all I am going to pump until she's a year at the end of May. Another problem though is that she seems to dislike the flavour of the pumped milk. She drinks a bit but not much and I can tell she's hungry and upset. I have enough milk in the freezer for today and tomorrow and then I don't know what to do!

has anyone else been through a situation like this and got the baby nursing again? She is so little still and it makes me cry to think this is the end!

#4 of 4 Old 06-16-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update that I never did get DD nursing again unfortunately. Now she is 12.5 months old and I am still pumping although my supply is dropping. I haven't yet decided if I am going to try and boost my supply or just put her on cow's milk. I really dislike pumping. I am happy she had breastmilk for a year at least. I'm really upset that it had to end the way it did though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page