breast infection- anyone else's like this? Yeast? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-21-2011, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm assuming my infection is yeast, but nothing I have tried to treat it is working. Does anyone else have experience with it the way I have? I've had red, often flaky, sometimes itchy areolas, the flaky part cracks and peels frequently. under my nipples often cracks wide open- very painful! and gets infected. Everytime I nurse, it gets re-opened, and makes it harder to heal again. Sometimes I will pump off of one side, so that I can give one boob a chance to rest for a day! Nursing hurts everytime, and sometimes stings for a few mins after. Usually are sensitive all day, and hurt if they get bumped or rubbed on. They seemed to be getting better for about a week, but then it came back again and worse!! Baby is asymptomatic- he takes probiotics. I've used lasinoh, gentian violet, yogurt and probiotic capsules and liquid, apple cider vinegar wash, Lotrimin, a combination capsule that has GFSE and several other ingredients, and for several weeks, ate nothing except meat and veggies and nuts to avoid ANY kind of sugar- but when it didnt help, i went back to eating fruits and a little sugar sometimes. Am looking for solutions, success stories, and someone who may have had similar symtoms??  2 and a half months and I am SOOO sick of it!!

Oh, we had no problems at all with nursing prior- this started when my son was 6 months.

#2 of 4 Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 PM

I've heard that it can take a really long time for cadida to die-off. Did you go on the anit-candida diet? I had reoccurring breast infections with painful stabbing in my breasts and my little one had problems with consitipation. We battled for months and when i went on the anti-candida diet i lost 20 pounds and my milk supply got so low that my 5monthold baby started to lose weight. It was working though, the infection went away and he started having regular bowels. I quit eating all gluten, dairy, caffeine, sugar and got prescribed a really potent pill that killed the candida, but without complete vigilence to the diet, it would come back. I did everything i could to kill the yeast, but i wasn't vigilent. I would try something for a few days then try something else. I am saddened that i lost my milk supply and that i gave in to the bottle. I feel your pain and hope that you find a solution...there are alot of anti-cadida support groups online that offer a ton of ideas and support, but I'm sure that you've already looked it up:) I'm sorry this is not a success story, but I hope yours can be~

#3 of 4 Old 04-28-2011, 08:21 AM

I was on the same page as you and like many others with a really horrible yeast infection, itchy, flaky and red areolas. I tried every possible treatment but it always came back. The only thing that helped me about 80% was using Aqua Flora by King Bio. It cleared up about 80% of it like I mentioned. It’s a homeopathic treatment that you ingest. You take 2 teaspoons a day, 1 in the morning and 1 before bed. Baby also takes ¼ of a teaspoon twice a day at the same time as you. But the thing is….you have to do the Candida diet along with this treatment for 1 month.

I haven’t had as good of results with anything else but this. The infection never came back the same and never got worse. I did have to stop using it because LO and I got constipated and my hemorrhoids got worse because of the diet or possibly the medicine… I don’t know. But maybe if I had continued the treatment it would have cleared up completely, who knows wink1.gif

#4 of 4 Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 PM

The more research I do, the more I find that some people are treating for yeast, when there may be more going on. Have you tried the Jack Newman all-purpose nipple ointment?

It contains an anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. I suspect it works so well because it is designed to "cure what ails you" whether it be yeast, eczema or bacteria. I have gotten eczema on my nipples (as have other people I know), especially once your little one is eating solids. Is it possible your lo is eating something you are allergic to?" How about are they nursing with a "dirty mouth?" I always suggest allowing a sip of water after solids to ensure that you aren't feeding the yeast or bacteria (whatever the case may be) as well as preventing allergens from getting on your nipples.

I am not suggesting to stop yeast treatment, but do keep in mind it can take weeks to kill off all the yeast. But, if you aren't getting some relief from the yeast treatments (you should feel a little better, but not necessarily symptom free) within a week of starting treatment, you may want to try something different.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page