Baby doesn't use me as a pacifier - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So although I hadn't planned on it, we gave our daughter a pacifier when she was 1 month old. She had colic and I had a hormonal headache since she was born. The pacifier helped calm her down and gave DH a way to soothe her. I would like to be able to nurse her to soothe her when she's not hungry but she spits me out and squirms away, upset. The pacifier calms her.

I would like her to nurse for comfort because It helps keep supply up. In fall, I'll be going back to school but I'd really like to nurse as long as feesable or until she weans herself.

Is there a way for her to decide to nurse for comfort more? I'm not against keeping the pacifier around for rough car rides or daddy to help, but I'd like to be able to nurse for comfort too. Should I wean her of the pacifier?

Thanks for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-29-2011, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do you cosleep? My babes would have stayed latched "comfort suckling" ALL NIGHT LONG if I had let them. They also loved suckling during bathtimes. And just about any other time we were sking-to-skin.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#3 of 6 Old 04-29-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Yes we cosleep everynight, all night. When she is full, she pulls off and squirms. Sometimes she falls asleep, sometimes she fusses and the pacifier calms her down. Sometimes I'll switch her from pacifier to breast but that doesn't last long. We usually sidelie nurse in bed, and the shape of my breasts make it slightly awkward to keep it in her mouth. When I used to lean back with her across my belly on my Brestfriend pillow she would stay latched longer, but that's harder for me to sleep. Maybe I'll start the evening like that, since I don't usually sleep for awhile anyway. She's also been sleeping on her own more for naps and even falls asleep by herself once or twice a day now. I'm happy she is more independent but I want to do what we can to breastfeed as long as we can. She is only 2 1/2 months old.
#4 of 6 Old 04-29-2011, 10:41 AM

Well, some babies like to suck, but not necessarily eat.

#5 of 6 Old 05-02-2011, 04:17 PM

There is no one right answer. The use of pacifiers is statistically associated with early weaning. That doesn't mean your baby will wean early. You may not be able to have it both ways - use a pacifier when you want and a breast when you want.

I would wean from the pacifier and daddy can use a little finger or find other ways to sooth the baby. I believe mothers and babies should maintain a symbiotic relationship until the baby can get around on their own (9-12 months). I don't think independence is a positive thing at 2 months.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#6 of 6 Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans View Post

There is no one right answer. The use of pacifiers is statistically associated with early weaning. That doesn't mean your baby will wean early. I believe mothers and babies should maintain a symbiotic relationship until the baby can get around on their own (9-12 months). I don't think independence is a positive thing at 2 months.

The more I've thought about this the more I've been thinking the same thing. We are going to wean from the pacifier starting during the day. And it won't be one of our first choices to help soothe. I'm going to wear her in the day more.

Thanks for the imput.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page