EPer, so tired of pumping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2011, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey ya'll, 

I've been EPing since my son was born in  April '10. I have a flat nip, and an inverted nip, so latch issues were a challenge, I had to go back to work at 8 weeks, and I had a csection. My milk didn't come in for 5 days. Anyways, pumping was going very well, so well, in fact that I was able to donate several hundred ounces of milk to a mama who had IGT. In December, I came down with mastitis, and my supply plummeted. I was eventually able to get it back to where I needed it to be, but it wasn't nearly as much as before the mastitis. After the mastitis, it was one thing after another, my son and I both had the stomach flu, and then after that, we were both sick for about a month each. About 3 weeks before my son turned one, I started supplementing him w/ 8 oz of raw cows milk. He's tolerating this well. My son mostly bottle nurses at night and in the evenings. He's a big boy, 25 lbs, almost 30 inches, and can go thru abt 24 oz of breast milk in a 24 hr period. I'm just not pumping enough for him any more, and I'm exhausted. He's doing well on solids, but just won't give up the night time bottles. I'd be willing to give him another 8 oz of cows milk, but that still leaves 1-2 bottles I'd need to make up for. 

I don't know what to do. I've tried 3x3 fenugreek and 3x3 blessed thistle, a bowl of non instant oatmeal a day, power pumping, and nothing seems to increase my supply except for regalan. I'm already dealing w/ PPD issues, so I try not to use regalan as much. 

How do I gently bottle wean my son? He's hungry when he wakes up. I try to offer his paci first, and he clearly does not want that, he wants milk. Besides cows milk, what can I give him? Coconut milk? Soy milk? I'd really like to stay away from formula. I'd be fine with donor milk, but I feel silly asking for milk, since my son isn't a young baby. 

TIA

Marty 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Banned

Pumping is a drag - hats off to you for sticking it out so long.  It sounds like you are ready to hang up your pump.  

What is your objection to cow's milk?  If your son drinks it / likes it, I don't see anything wrong with giving him more of it.  If you don't want to give more milk, you can try adding some almond milk or rice milk.  I try to avoid large amounts of soy for boys due to estrogen-like compounds in soy.  

The way I weaned my son off the bottle was just one day stopped offering it to him and gave him warm milk in a cup instead.  He didn't seem that upset.  

Old 05-21-2011, 06:41 AM

Another Mom of an April '10 baby here to congratulate you on a year of pumping! You rock!

If baby is getting a good amount of nutritious solids, I could give cow's milk and feel good about the nutrition he was getting. I would avoid rice milk (actually it should be called rice juice as it doesn't contain the fats or protein of milk) and soy (estrogens), as milk substitutes.

Mama, if you put a call out for donor milk you may find a mom with a freezer stash she needs to get rid of, or someone with enough of an over supply to give you even 25 oz extra a week. That extra human milk would make me feel good about immune support etc. And you'll never know until you ask. I know that if I couldn't breastfeed my guy I'd be looking for donor milk until he was 2 years old. I hope you find a like minded Mama in your area who can help you out!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Another long-time EP-er who just wants to congratulate you on EPing for a year. That's a huge accomplishment!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

User Tag List