Anyone with oversupply issues?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-31-2011, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there, I'm Alice and new to these forums. Just wondering if there's anyone out there with oversupply issues? I am lactating for the second time with my 10wk old boy, and like with the first, I have so much milk that comes out so quickly for him. I think I have just found a good system that seems to work well for us, but is different to what the lactation consultant suggests. I struggle with wanting to feed intutively and as much as he needs for comfort, and also needing to stick to some boundries so that my supply doesn't grow anymore. It seems like a good problem to have, but I know from the experience of my first that it can be very difficult to manage and result in a terribly unsettled and sick baby.

Anyway, anyone out there with these problems too??

#2 of 8 Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 AM

I had massive over supply. I nursed on demand (and continue to now at 14 months) but block nursed - using one breast for 10 hours at a time. I also nursed reclined with baby upright, and ended up using sage to reduce my supply.

What system are you using?

#3 of 8 Old 06-01-2011, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

I guess the system, or 'rules' that I am using is to just continue to be intutitve and pay very close attention to my baby. Its quite a different way of managing it than the health professionals tell me to do, which is to watch the clock and wake him from his peaceful sleep. I use a combination of feeding lying down with his head on top of the breast, using the sling, feeding for extended periods off one breast (although I have learnt not to make this a rule because sometimes he needs to feed off both sides), feeling my breasts to learn when they are full and when they are empty. I feel like I've come to a realisation about my breastfeeding that was always clouded with preconceptions before. I never understood these things with my first baby and I am wondering if whether the way we breastfeed our babies is having an impact on their health.

#4 of 8 Old 06-01-2011, 04:56 AM

I had massive oversupply and basically block nursed on demand as mentioned by the pp and also stopped eating my usual breakfast of porridge as I had been told that oats may increase milk production. I also nursed lying down a lot with my DS on top - initially this was the only way I could get him to latch. He's still nursing at almost 5.

#5 of 8 Old 06-01-2011, 05:13 AM

I block-nursed on demand... the blocks would be anywhere from 4-12 hours, depending on multiple factors. Like you, I kind of just tuned into DS and what he needed. I still had MASSIVE oversupply though, and whenever he was sick or something, I had a major struggle because his increased nursing would increase my supply too much so it was a tough balancing act. When he was about a year old, I stopped eating gluten for some health issues I was having, and I found that really took the edge off the oversupply. I was able to gradually reduce the length of the blocks and now, at 28mos, he usually nurses on both sides during a single feed so the oversupply is virtually gone!!! joy.gif I don't know whether you'd even want to attempt a gluten-free diet -- I'm just anecdotal evidence! -- but it worked so well for me (and I tested the theory, ate a good amount of gluten on several occasions, and the oversupply returned within 24 hours each time...)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 8 Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 PM

i've been dealing with oversupply with my now 10mo dd3 since birth. very interesting about the gluten-free. maybe that's why it wasn't as much of a problem with dd1. i was gluten-free with her due to intolerance of it in my milk. anyone have a huge baby also? my babe is 27lbs!

married to my sweetheart 12yrs, semi-crunchy mommy to three very attached girls (dd1-3/30/05, dd2 born at 28wks-9/20/07), and dd3 born at home-8/3/10)
#7 of 8 Old 06-15-2011, 03:31 PM

Subbing for ideas

I have a 1 week old so  this is all new and I am hoping my breast will settle down but I have a lot of milk and I am a little concerned that she is not getting to the fatty milk and getting too much of the other. My breast never empty and she has had the bright green poop today. She does choke a bit sometimes but, it doesn't seem to bother her too much yet. I am not worried because like I said everything can change at this point...just looking for ideas to be prepared love.gif

I started doing 1 breast per feeding. I have only been doing this for 2 days so I am not sure how it is working but, it seems to be better.

#8 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 05:55 AM

i block nursed on demand, which helped. but eventually i just gave into the oversupply and started pumping and donating milk. i figured if i had so much milk to spare, surely there was a baby and momma out there who needed it. i would feed dd from one breast, and then on that same breast still have about 4oz to pump out at each feed. i know lots of people hate pumping or don't have time for it, but if you don't mind pumping then there is always a need for breastmilk donation. lots of hungry babes out there.

PatioGardener likes this.

betsy:  wife to tony, mama to haven (7/6/10), arlo (m/c 1/21/12), and expecting valencia in late december.

"we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" - arthur o'shaunessy

"if there is no dancing then it is not my revolution" - emma goldman

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page