Gassy EBF baby... but not in distress. Ideas?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, this may be a hard question for you all to answer, but I am looking for advice about my 1 month old EBF daughter. Lately she's been passing a lot of gas. She did slow down her pooping too - just went 3 days without poop and then had a huge one! But the gas had preceded this slow down. The gas doesn't make her scream or seem colicky, she just wiggles and grunts and has an occasional cry and then farts and is fine. It's just the amount of gas that has me concerned. It seems like, especially when she wakes up in the morning, she has a lot of successive bouts of gas. I am debating about eliminating dairy completely from my diet (I started laying off milk when the gas first started), but I've also wondered if she might be sucking in extra air when she's nursing. Up until the the last couple of days, I did have quite a lot of milk that sometimes left her sputtering and choking. Lately she's been nursing so much (growth spurt?) that we don't have this issue, but I have noticed that she deals with the extra milk by frequently breaking the suction - I hear that loud smacking/clicking sound fairly frequently when she nurses.

One important fact - she sleeps very very well at night, only once in a while waking up to pass gas, that I notice anyway. She feeds only once or twice in an 8 hour period and then cluster feeds during the day. I am wondering if she had a milk sensitivity or allergy, would she seem to be in more pain and scream more? Does it seem more likely that she just has extra air? I try to burp her after every feeding but she still passes gas even if she's burped well. I'd love to have some advice! She's my second, but my first daughter never had this issue - guess it's true what they say, every baby is different!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 09:57 AM

Kelly Bonyata has some great information here: www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html 

xx

Old 06-04-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Ooh, thank you! The only other thing I've noticed about her is some slight persistent nasal congestion. Hmm. I suppose it's worth exploring! Thanks for the link - I love kellymom. :)

User Tag List