severe engorgement with newborn. help, please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My ds is four days old and I am extremely engorged. So engorged that he is unable to latch on one side and pumping produces no milk from  this side. I had engorgement with my daughter, now 3.5 years, but got through using a nipplIe shield (under the care of lactation consultants). I have since moved and don't have the lactation resources I had readily available like I did when dd was born. I am to the point of tears worried that I am messing things up, fearing that by not being able to get milk from the one breast I am killing the supply there. I loved breastfeeding my daughter and will do anything to make it work this go around. I have tried pumping (double electric Medela), cold compresses, hot showers, massage. Husband is on his way to get cabbage. Any other thoughts? Advice? Experience with a non-milk producing engorged breast?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 06:03 PM

Here's the link someone gave me when I was engorged.  Maybe it will help you:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/rev_pressure_soft_cotterman.html

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:36 PM

here is a video demonstrating "reverse pressure softening'  http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Use-Reverse-Pressure-Softening-During-Engorgement-106182017

Use the cabbage - take a shower, massage the breast - do whatever you can to get the milk flowing and keep trying teh baby at the baby breast.  Massage from the armpit down towards the nipple , use the reverse pressure to help baby get latched on, keep trying, baby will get the hang of it!

If i were you i would put the pump away for a little while - that may be what created this engorgement.  - Of course, if baby isnt getting latched on - even after you have done everything listed above - try the pump to express some milk - soften the breast - and then maybe baby can latch. 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

User Tag List