Need Tips on using Lactina Select - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-07-2011, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Am desperately trying to build my supply for my 4 month old who has had weight gain problems due to labial tie and posterior tt. I just rented a Lactina Slect and have been pumping for 10 days and hardly get an ounce or half in one session. When I hand express after there is still more milk but the pump is not getting it out. I need tips on how i can get the best result with this pump. I cant change the pump - so I have to learn to work around this. Waiting keenly for responses!!! 

#2 of 5 Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 AM

Do you do breast massage during pumping?  That is supposed to help.  No right or wrong, just whatever seems to work.  And hand expressing afterwards is actually a good idea.  I would just continue with that as best you can.  Both the massage and hand expression are supposed to help.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#3 of 5 Old 06-10-2011, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much. Is it ok if part of the areola gets pulled into the breast shield/flange tube? Im using a 24 mm standard size and was wondering if that is the hitch...

#4 of 5 Old 06-10-2011, 07:28 AM

I think a little bit of the areola going into the flange is ok but you still may want to experiment with a smaller flange, just to be sure.  You don't want your nipples rubbing the sides though.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#5 of 5 Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 AM

I don't use a Lactina but I do use a PIS for pumping at work.  I highly recommend that after the initial milk letdown you do some form of compression, likely what work for me won't work for you so you'll just have to see what does help you.  You might want to turn up the pressure too, I get twice as much when I have it on a higher setting.  Relaxing is a huge part of it too.  I find that when I concentrate on how much is coming out, how much I think I should pump, etc that I don't get much.  But, if I do something while pumping, reading, checking FB, etc that since I relaxed my output was better.  

On the TT topic, did you get it clipped? 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page