changing my diet to non dairy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-09-2011, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been nursing my son for a month now.  This past week I noticed something and went to the doctors today.  Every time I nurse him he gets all fussy with red in the face, and cry's.  I feel that the nursing is not for that long anymore. He will spit up normal, and most of the time I feel like he is vomiting the rest up and its projectile because it gets all over me and him. I think he could have some reflux problems.  The doctor told me I should change my diet to non dairy.  I heard that it is hard to do at first.  I am not sure how long the dairy will get out of my system and his right now. The doctor wants me to call back in a week, but I heard it should take more than a week to get out of both our systems.  Is anyone doing the non dairy diet?

#2 of 12 Old 06-09-2011, 03:29 PM

OK just breathe elimination diets can be tough but you can do it mama! Also yes 2 weeks would be minimum for any real signs to be cleared up. So here it goes

coffee creamer: So delicious coconut creamer (they sell it at Whole Foods and Hannafords by me so look around)

butter: Earth's Balance spreads. They have a soy free one too and an organic one.

milk: There is rice milk, soy milk, almond milk, hemp milk, and my fave coconut milk (so delicious brand as well, doesn't taste like coconut at all BTW)

ice cream/treats: coconut ice creams seem the best to me there are a few brands of it. They have soy ice cream  and almond ice cream too.

I make everything else homemade and just use coconut milk and the earths balance as dairy replacements or olive oil (in bread instead of shortening)

Hidden dairy in processed foods can be dangerous as well here is a link to avoiding that http://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/hidden-dairy01.pdf

anything else just ask! It is do-able and you will get used to it! I hope this will be the only one you have to deal with b/c I ended up having to eliminate a LOT of foods.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 12 Old 06-09-2011, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

There is a good forum on being vegan on MDC. Check it out for more ideas. Good Luck Mama!

be good family...

#4 of 12 Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the info. I will get started right away. 

#5 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 11:34 AM

sosurreal09 has great info, just wanted to add.

I took out dairy and it was a slow process, initially I wasn't avoiding all dairy, wasn't label reading and then had got better at that.  Then I accidentally ate a cookie that had margarine (thought it was DF margarine, it wasn't) so that set us back.  All in all it took us months to get it out of both of our systems.  Remember that it's at least 2 weeks for your milk PLUS 2 or so weeks for baby.  So stick to it, you can do it!  It seems horrible and daunting at first but now I think I've adapted and it's not so bad!

GL

#6 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 01:05 PM

I'm wondering-- have you read up on the issue of overactive letdown or oversupply? I'm only wondering because the symptoms you're describing-- fussiness during or right after a feed, and lots of spit-up, are also sometimes present when mama's letdown comes really fast, or when baby's getting too much milk because of oversupply. I would encourage you to look into it-- kellymom.com is a great resource for accurate breastfeeding information.

As far as non-dairy-- I took dairy out of my diet with my DS, because he was casein-intolerant (casein is the protein in cow's milk). He was having mucus and blood in his stools. When I took out dairy, I had to watch out really carefully for hidden sources of dairy in anything I ate that was packaged. It can hide out under a lot of different names.

Best of luck to you and your LO-- I hope that whatever you try, it helps baby to feel better.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#7 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 PM

The thing about making it a slow process is that your DS will be miserable longer. I cut it out fast to get it over with and to try and heal my DD faster. She had a lot of pain with her issues. That's why I gave you the link about hidden dairy it is vital to remove all the dairy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaMama View Post

sosurreal09 has great info, just wanted to add.

I took out dairy and it was a slow process, initially I wasn't avoiding all dairy, wasn't label reading and then had got better at that.  Then I accidentally ate a cookie that had margarine (thought it was DF margarine, it wasn't) so that set us back.  All in all it took us months to get it out of both of our systems.  Remember that it's at least 2 weeks for your milk PLUS 2 or so weeks for baby.  So stick to it, you can do it!  It seems horrible and daunting at first but now I think I've adapted and it's not so bad!

GL

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#8 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

yeah ive been reading the kellymom.com website.

#9 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 01:51 PM

I think you misunderstood when I said it was a slow process - I didn't purposely do that.  Just was ill informed on ALL of the forms of dairy and slowly took it out on accident - that is why I said your kellymom info was good...

Yes, I agree complete removal all at once would be best.  Even so, after I was more informed on removing every little last bit of dairy it still took 4 weeks for his constant congestion to go away. The spit up was cleared up sooner.

#10 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 01:57 PM

OIC I thought you were saying it was going to be a slow process. I was really PO'd that there is even all this hidden dairy! Why does food labeling have to be so deceitful? It can't just say dairy or milk or milk derivative it has all these fancy names. All they try to do is hide the truth from the consumers! Not to mention dairy is in like EVERYTHING. Things you would never imagine. WTH is it doing in there? I remember at MIL's house (we were trying to find a snack DD could eat) and she had fruit cups and even they had dairy in it.

#11 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 02:18 PM

Yes!  It does seem to be in everything, doesn't it?  I have to avoid too much gluten too so I feel I live on proten, fruit and veggies!  Coming from a pizza and mac n cheese lover this has been hard.  But so completely worth it that my LO isn't so stuffy and pukey anymore.

sosurreal09 likes this.
#12 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 PM

I am so happy he is already responding!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page